Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2008   #1
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Overrated-underrated by Prisco

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10843371

Quote:
Houston Texans
Overrated: RB Ahman Green. There are some who think he's still an elite runner. I don't. So he gets the nod here on a tough team to find an overrated player.

Underrated: CB Fred Bennett. As a rookie, he showed the ability to develop into a nice cover corner. With Dunta Robinson out for a least half of the coming season as he recovers from an injury, Bennett will be the team's top corner.

Can't say I disagree with his thoughts on this about us, but I don't think the average Texans fan is rating AG very high right now anyway.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Overrated-underrated by Prisco

When the Saints used the second pick in the 2006 NFL Draft to take Bush, some speculated he could be a 2,000-yard rusher. They meant in a season. He's just over halfway to that number in two.
Bush, who has 1,146 rushing yards in two seasons, gets the nod this year as my most overrated NFL player. In 28 NFL games, Bush has one 100-yard rushing effort. His 3.7 career average per rush is not impressive at all. He does have 161 catches in two seasons, but the Saints expected a lot more with him running with the football when they selected him.
What's bigger: Bush as a disappointment or his girlfriend's (Kim Kardashian) ample behind?
We expected to see those electrifying, make-the-defensive-coordinators-sweat runs that he put on display at Southern California. Instead we have had a tentative, between-the-tackles runner who sure doesn't make us think of Gale Sayers, which the experts said he would.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say that the picks for the Texans are about right.

I think Texans fans don't over rate Green but for the non-Texans fan, they hear Ahman Green they still think of the guy from Green Bay, which is nowhere near true..... as far as we know.

As for underrated I would be tempted to go with our O-Line, people still think it was the terrible unit that got Carr killed (or Carr made look bad depending on your angle). They are now a good pass protecting line worthy of some respect.
Old 05-27-2008   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Two observations:

1. That writer went the safe route, with his overrated selections he mostly picked older players.

2. Did you see who his overrated Tennessee Titan was? It was Vince Young, to go along with his pick of Reggie Bush for the Saints. Heh.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Two observations:

2. Did you see who his overrated Tennessee Titan was? It was Vince Young, to go along with his pick of Reggie Bush for the Saints. Heh.
It's great seeing that up there. You just gotta love that.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #6
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

Even better, he implied in his lead-in that Young was the second-most overrated player in the entire league behind only Bush. And the cherry on top of all that was his blast about Cowboy Roy Williams being a perennial on his overrated list.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #7
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd say that the picks for the Texans are about right.

I think Texans fans don't over rate Green but for the non-Texans fan, they hear Ahman Green they still think of the guy from Green Bay, which is nowhere near true..... as far as we know.

As for underrated I would be tempted to go with our O-Line, people still think it was the terrible unit that got Carr killed (or Carr made look bad depending on your angle). They are now a good pass protecting line worthy of some respect.
I would agree with this. I would likely give most under-rated award to Mike Brisiel. He was arguably our best guard last season, who knew?

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2008   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Overrated: RB Ahman Green. There are some who think he's still an elite runner. I don't. So he gets the nod here on a tough team to find an overrated player.

Somebody help me out; is this a slam meaning we have only a couple of players (A.J., DeMeco, Mario) on anyone's radar and the rest of the squad consists of "nobodys"? Or am I being paranoid again?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #9
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Certainly not paranoid in my opinion. We still don't have the respect of most sports writers, but we are starting to get the attention of players and coaches. That is the important thing.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well with any luck we won't have the injury bug bitting us in the
South end this year. We have three elite players, two on the come, and a bunch of journeymen. If I'm wrong they'll chew through the first five games and be 4-1 going into the two before the bye week. We'll see. If they don't loose too many defensive tackles down the stretch...they'll have a shot at a home field play off game. TTP book says we'll be two and three, and scrambling. They beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, on an opening day...you can get out the dancing shoes.
Old 05-28-2008   #11
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Somebody help me out; is this a slam meaning we have only a couple of players (A.J., DeMeco, Mario) on anyone's radar and the rest of the squad consists of "nobodys"? Or am I being paranoid again?
I actually thought he was putting forth the motion the majority of the players on the team are under rated.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IMO, it's saying we do not have many players worthy of being rated at all. The National media really hasn't taken much notice of the Texans to correctly rate anyone.
Old 05-28-2008   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think it can be taken in both a good way and a bad way depending on how you look at it. So, I don't know if the writer (Prisco) was trying to give us a complement or a veiled putdown. I have to say though, when I first read it, I took it to be a complement, but who knows.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I'll be positive and take it to mean that while we only have 3 "Stars", all the other guys pull their weight so its hard to identify anyone that could be being over-hyped or over-rated, a la Reggie "I'm-the-next-Gayle-Sayers" Bush.

And I would also totally agree with the assessment that our O-line at least deserves First Runner-Up in the Under-Rated catagory.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 05-28-2008 at 02:22 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #15
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
What's bigger: Bush as a disappointment or his girlfriend's (Kim Kardashian) ample behind?
Great question. I really don't think I can answer that one.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

We have to start winning more games before the nation realize the type of talent we have.
Old 05-29-2008   #17
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

While I appreciate the national media finally coming around and admitting that Bush has been a bust and that the Texans didn't screw the pooch in selecting Mario, I do take issue with the fact that most writers are taking the "everyone else thought Bush was gonna be great and Mario would suck" approach to breaking the news. There is quite a bit of crow left uneaten.

From the overrated/underrated arcticle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Prisco
We expected to see those electrifying, make-the-defensive-coordinators-sweat runs that he put on display at Southern California. Instead we have had a tentative, between-the-tackles runner who sure doesn't make us think of Gale Sayers, which the experts said he would.
Prisco's Overrated/Underrated for 2008

And this from his 2006 post draft grades:
Quote:
Houston Texans

Worst pick: Mario Williams. They should have selected Reggie Bush. That said, Williams will be a good player.

Overall grade: A. Even without drafting Bush, they had a heck of a draft. The first four picks will all start as rookies.
Quote:
New Orleans Saints

Best pick: They have to be thrilled Reggie Bush was there. Even with Deuce McAllister, a player I like a lot, they had no choice but to take Bush.

Overall grade: B. That grade is high only because they landed Bush. The rest of the draft was ho-hum.
Prisco's 2006 Draft Grades

I mean, where's the accountability? How about you lump yourself in with those so-called "experts" that hyped Bush into the stratosphere and panned the Texans all season because of it. I will give him a bit of credit since he at least stated Mario would be a good player, but he still insisted the Texans made the wrong call.

Last edited by TexanAddict; 05-29-2008 at 10:09 AM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
While I appreciate the national media finally coming around and admitting that Bush has been a bust and that the Texans didn't screw the pooch in selecting Mario, I do take issue with the fact that most writers are taking the "everyone else thought Bush was gonna be great and Mario would suck" approach to breaking the news. There is quite a bit of crow left uneaten.

From the overrated/underrated arcticle:

Prisco's Overrated/Underrated for 2008

And this from his 2006 post draft grades:

Prisco's 2006 Draft Grades

I mean, where's the accountability? How about you lump yourself in with those so-called "experts" that hyped Bush into the stratosphere and panned the Texans all season because of it. I will give him a bit of credit since he at least stated Mario would be a good player, but he still insisted the Texans made the wrong call.
Doh! Busted! That's pretty funny stuff. You should email this exact post to him and kind of rub it in a bit.
Old 05-29-2008   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 106570 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

enjoy
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/8544766

mods please move my post to the NFL section thread that talks about Prisco, I put this on the wrong one
thanks
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read