Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 05-24-2008   #21
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: vy considered retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Honestly speaking I believe that he's a complete dumbass. This man will not amount to anything special as QB's go. In the college game he was a fierce competitor with excellent physical tools but in the NFL that just gets you in the door. I don't think that Vince Young has the mental toughness or the intellectual horsepower to excel at this position on this level.
Remains to be seen. He's young and he has alot to learn. Can't judge after 2 years...if that's the window for determining the quality of an NFL QB's career than alot of great QB play would have been lost. You give them time and they either do well or they don't. Depends on the team as well. He had a great team at UT. Lots of variables here.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #22
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad he didn't retire. That would have forced the the Titans to draft a good quarterback

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #23
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
I'm sensing hatred, lol...........
Yeah, & it's sad that some in here can't distinguish VY the ball player from VY the person. Dude is just being honest about a rough time in his life & folks want to take the opportunity to take a dump on em'.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #24
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, & it's sad that some in here can't distinguish VY the ball player from VY the person. Dude is just being honest about a rough time in his life & folks want to take the opportunity to take a dump on em'.
Everybody has "rough times" in their lives......personally the last thing I want to do is read about a millionaire who plays games for a living, ***** and moan and flat out cry about how "rough his life is".

I mean does Vince think he's the only player in the NFL that has come from a rough upbringing in a bad part of town?

Let's take Curtis Martin for instance....
http://football.about.com/b/2006/11/...to-the-nfl.htm
Quote:
As a child, he witnessed his father beating his mother on a regular basis. After his father deserted he and his mother, his grandmother moved in and assumed the role his father had abandoned. Tragically, a nine-year-old Curtis returned home from school one day to find his grandmother murdered in her bed, and the knife used to kill her was still embedded in her chest.

As a youth, he was involved with gang activity and assumed he would not live past the age of 21. In fact, he says dozens of his friends were murdered over the years, and even he thought his time had come at one point when a rival gang member held a gun to his head and pulled the trigger... seven times. The gun, however, failed to discharge until the thug behind it pointed it at a wall and tried again.

At some point following that incident, Martin decided someone must be looking out for him.
and here's the part that Vince Young needs to listen to instead of getting all emo and contemplate walking out on his obligations to his team.

Quote:
And it was at that time that he found God, and put his tragic lifestyle behind him. He became a man of priciple, and used his career in football to reach out to others in similar circumstances...........Other players use hardships in their life as an excuse for their behavior, saying they are misunderstood. Martin has never done that despite having as much reason as anyone to do so.
Curtis Martin went through more "family problems and harsh times" than probably anybody that has ever played, instead of pouting and feeling sorry for himself, he just went on to have a HOF career and become one of the classiest players to ever play in the NFL.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-25-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #25
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default VY considered retirement after rookie year

Here's the Link:

Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."
If the guy could barely handle the pressure in TEN what would have happened if he was a Texan? Pressure would have been 10x what it ever could be there. Dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY considered retirement after rookie year

Reggie must be considering suicide.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #27
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

No biggie, I've done it myself, but....http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...ght=retirement
Old 05-26-2008   #28
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Reggie must be considering suicide.
I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Classic.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #29
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Classic.
Couldn't agree more..lol.
Old 05-27-2008   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Everybody has "rough times" in their lives......personally the last thing I want to do is read about a millionaire who plays games for a living, ***** and moan and flat out cry about how "rough his life is".

I mean does Vince think he's the only player in the NFL that has come from a rough upbringing in a bad part of town?

Let's take Curtis Martin for instance....
http://football.about.com/b/2006/11/...to-the-nfl.htm

and here's the part that Vince Young needs to listen to instead of getting all emo and contemplate walking out on his obligations to his team.

Curtis Martin went through more "family problems and harsh times" than probably anybody that has ever played, instead of pouting and feeling sorry for himself, he just went on to have a HOF career and become one of the classiest players to ever play in the NFL.
I don't see it this way at all & this is coming from a labeled "VY hater". Different strokes for different folks. We all don't handle stress the same & just b/c you have money coming out of your @#$ doesn't mean that it makes everything all good.

Furthermore i was talking about the comments in red that silver oak wrote in conjunction with the story.

Last edited by Mr teX; 05-27-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read