Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-20-2008   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would you give up for Jason Taylor?

I was just forced to watch the Dancing with the Stars Finale, however it makes me wonder:

What would everyone give up for Jason Taylor in trade?

I know this isn't realistic to think it would happen, but seeing that Taylor has maybe two decent years left in the tank, and the fact that he could meantor Mario what do ya think?

I would give a third, but I'm sure the Tuna would want at least a 2nd, and then some.

Big Lou
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would you give up for Jason Taylor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I was just forced to watch the Dancing with the Stars Finale, however it makes me wonder:

What would everyone give up for Jason Taylor in trade?

I know this isn't realistic to think it would happen, but seeing that Taylor has maybe two decent years left in the tank, and the fact that he could meantor Mario what do ya think?

I would give a third, but I'm sure the Tuna would want at least a 2nd, and then some.

Big Lou
I doubt Rick Smith is giving up anymore draft picks, player possibly but that would be Denver, Green Bay or Seattle. no way trade with tuna- sorry Kast

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

What would I personally give up for him if I was GM, I am thinking that I could throw a 6th out there, maybe a 5th if I got a 7th back.
Old 05-21-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give up this years 3rd and 7th. He's still a damn good player.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We could trade Demeco for him.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #6
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
We could trade Demeco for him.
Someone ban him for making bad jokes.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

100 virgins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2008   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a ham sammich. With his age and massive salary even the Dolphins are looking to unload him now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't give up anything unless he was willing to renogiate his contract and take a paycut.

He knew when he signed that contract what he was getting into with the Dolphins and that it'd be a hard contract to move.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would give a six or seventh and sign him to a heavy bonus laden contract that mitigates the risk of signing an older player that has only known being a Miami Dolphin.
Old 05-21-2008   #11
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 120624 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahman Green!!
Old 05-21-2008   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing. It's not that I don't think he's got something left because I do. I just don't think his contract is something I want any part of and for the most part the only old dudes who can still play that I want to see around here are OUR old dudes who can still play. When our coaches know our older players well and can give an educated opinion on whether or not they think the player has "x" number of years left (barring injury) that's one thing. When you're taking someone elses castoffs that's entirely different. Jason Taylor will get released (unless someone gets really stupid) and then he'll either be a complete steal or an absolute anchor ready to drag down whatever team pins it's hopes on him. I don't want to find out that he's the latter.
Old 05-21-2008   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

You dudes are crazy, he's getting old but he can still play for at least another 2 possibly 3 years; hell he was just DPOY 2 years ago. I'd see about a 3rd in the current year & a 4th/5th the following year depending on his production his 1st year with us. he'd also have to renegotiate as well.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason Taylor mentioned that he wanted to be known for acting 10 years from now. He mentioned that right now he could do great things in football and get big contracts but if a team doesn't want to keep him they can let him go any time.

To me, that translation says 'I know that playing football is not what it used to be for me and I know the end of the road is coming up for me in football. Meanwhile I am making a big splash with this dancing thing, why don't I say I want to be remembered for acting so that some reality TV show or movie producers take a chance on me.'

I don't want that kind of veteran on our team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

With the cap free year looming, the time is ripe to pick up a high dollar quality veteran and spend some money. Everyone acts like this guy is washed up or something. I watched Dolphins football last year, probably too much, and he was still a force to be reckoned with. Drew doubleteams all the time and would be a perfect yin to Mario's yang.

I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice. Who cares about cap hits anymore? The slate is going to wipe clean in 2011 so why not spend if you got the money, and McNair/Texans organization does. Lock up all your guys till 2012 that you want to keep right now and don't worry about the salary cap anymore. It's pretty much irrelevant with a little creativity and some cash.

I have no problem with him doing the whole Dancing With The Stars thing. He stays in elite shape and takes care of himself. He has been a team leader and lockerroom leader for a decade and is doing something with his offseason besides strip clubs and getting high. bfd.

I would be proud to have Taylor on the Texans as long as we didn't get raped in doing so. He will probably fetch a late 2nd Rounder at least and that may be a bit high. If they will take 2009 3rd Rounder, I say pull the trigger, reneg his deal, and make our defense elite. Taylor Johnson Okoye Mario
Old 05-21-2008   #16
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
With the cap free year looming, the time is ripe to pick up a high dollar quality veteran and spend some money. Everyone acts like this guy is washed up or something. I watched Dolphins football last year, probably too much, and he was still a force to be reckoned with. Drew doubleteams all the time and would be a perfect yin to Mario's yang.

I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice. Who cares about cap hits anymore? The slate is going to wipe clean in 2011 so why not spend if you got the money, and McNair/Texans organization does. Lock up all your guys till 2012 that you want to keep right now and don't worry about the salary cap anymore. It's pretty much irrelevant with a little creativity and some cash.

I have no problem with him doing the whole Dancing With The Stars thing. He stays in elite shape and takes care of himself. He has been a team leader and lockerroom leader for a decade and is doing something with his offseason besides strip clubs and getting high. bfd.

I would be proud to have Taylor on the Texans as long as we didn't get raped in doing so. He will probably fetch a late 2nd Rounder at least and that may be a bit high. If they will take 2009 3rd Rounder, I say pull the trigger, reneg his deal, and make our defense elite. Taylor Johnson Okoye Mario
Unless they work something out before the uncapped year, then you're screwed.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Unless they work something out before the uncapped year, then you're screwed.

BigTimeTexanFan: "Uncapped year?"

Hervoyel: "Forget it, he's rolling."
Old 05-21-2008   #18
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Jason Taylor will give up football and take up dancing? All I know for sure is we don't need his advanced age (33), and huge salary cap figure.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
BigTimeTexanFan: "Uncapped year?"

Hervoyel: "Forget it, he's rolling."
db, actually I was wrong, the 2010 year will be cap free with the 2011 season being possible work stoppage.

from the Chicago Tribune

At issue is the contract extension agreed to in March 2006, just before the start of that year's free agency. It was pushed through by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who retired soon afterward. The agreement was to extend to 2013 with the opt-out option this year that would end it in 2011.

That would include the uncapped year, which has led to speculation that free-spending owners like Jones and Washington's Daniel Snyder would pay huge sums to stars that poorer teams could not afford.

However, when the 1993 contract that finally resolved the issues from the 1987 strike was ratified it also included a clause that has been widely overlooked.

It extends the time required for free agency from four years to six in the event of an uncapped year, meaning hundreds of players who normally would be on the market in 2010 would still belong to their teams. The provision was added as an incentive to both sides: the rich owners who want to corner the market, and the players who want a quicker free agency.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6611357.story

The owners have already opted out of the deal thus triggering the cap free year in 2010. Teams will have some provisions in order to try and retain free agents during that year, but the bottom line is that you can point large portions of your cap hits to 2010 pain-free. Al Davis gambled a little bit by going ahead and signing lots of players early this offseason before the opt out move by the owners but he knew it was coming. Was it any coincidence, that within minutes of the opt out decision by the owners, Dallas signed Newman and Barber to lucrative deals past 2010 thus allowing them to lessen their current cap hits and post-2010 cap hits all the while limiting possible defections.

I am not happy about this move, but the Texans are one of the high revenue teams, so it stands to reason that we may benefit the most from a MLB-type landscape of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer (in regards to on-field talent)

There will not be any deal that will take away the 2010 cap free season, its already set in motion with the opt out and the NFLPA wants the cap free season. In other words, they won't make a deal until 2010 is over and the are facing a 2011 lockout.

I am surprised that more people werent aware of this.
Old 05-22-2008   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Anthony Weaver
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read