Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-20-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston learns today about Super Bowl

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5791042.html

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair knew all along that it was not going to be easy to get Houston in the Super Bowl rotation. The city was awarded the 2004 Super Bowl after McNair agreed to pay a record $700 million for the Texans franchise.

Money worked the first time, but McNair understood another Super Bowl would have to be earned. Today, he will find out if NFL owners agree Houston has done just that.

McNair and the Houston Super Bowl committee, which is chaired by John Nau III, will present their bid to the NFL owners in a meeting today in Atlanta. With Indianapolis and Arizona the primary competitors, McNair hopes Houston is ultimately awarded the 2012 Super Bowl.

"Everyone is assuring me that we're very competitive and we're in the running," McNair said. "Of course Indianapolis is trying to sell their city on the basis that, 'We just built a new stadium and you owe it to us.' Of course I remind them, 'If that's the case, you owe Houston because you didn't give us the Super Bowl because we built a stadium. You gave us a Super Bowl because I paid you.'

"People have heard what Indianapolis is saying, and it's been repeated quite a bit. But everybody that was here in 2004 thought the city did a great job. They love our stadium. We have the facilities here. And I think there's no city that is better prepared to put on a Super Bowl and to do it properly than Houston."
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #2
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston learns today about Super Bowl

What better City to host a SB then Houston in the middle of a dynasty in 2012?!

On a slightly more serious note. I think after the Job Houston did in 2004 it deserves another shot at hosting a SB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope we get it, but I am willing to bet the give it to Indy, I hope I am wrong.
Old 05-20-2008   #4
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was John McClain that said this, but I'm not sure. He said he thought Indy would get the Superbowl in 2012, but they might go ahead and vote for the next one at the same time and that Houston has a better shot at that one (2013).
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #5
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

New stadium or not, Indianapolis is not a good place to host a Super Bowl. I used to live there and I can assure you that it's a relatively small, uneventful town with very cold Februarys. It just lacks SB intangibles.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39290 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

And what if Indy goes to the superbowl the same year they host it? Will they have it somewhere else or just let Indy have homefield advantage?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 114195 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
And what if Indy goes to the superbowl the same year they host it? Will they have it somewhere else or just let Indy have homefield advantage?
You earn it, you get to keep it.

I would love to see Houston in the Super Bowl while they host it.

Ok, I don't care about the city, just the Super Bowl!
Old 05-20-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A "Dallas at Houston" Super Bowl would be insane...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Houston learns today about Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
I think it was John McClain that said this, but I'm not sure. He said he thought Indy would get the Superbowl in 2012, but they might go ahead and vote for the next one at the same time and that Houston has a better shot at that one (2013).
I remember hearing owners kinda' get a wink-wink and nudge-nudge about getting a Super Bowl before they build a new stadium. Where was the last new satdium to NOT get a Super Bowl within a few years of completion?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I remember hearing owners kinda' get a wink-wink and nudge-nudge about getting a Super Bowl before they build a new stadium. Where was the last new satdium to NOT get a Super Bowl within a few years of completion?
Pittsburgh probably.

Tennesse?

Seattle?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 05-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Tennesse?
Agree with Tennessee, also I would add Washington's FedEx Field (although it opened in 1997??) and is also the largest capacity in the NFL (currently).
Old 05-20-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
A "Dallas at Houston" Super Bowl would be insane...
No it wouldn't cause I would go to jail for assaulting a cowboys fan.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #13
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
New stadium or not, Indianapolis is not a good place to host a Super Bowl. I used to live there and I can assure you that it's a relatively small, uneventful town with very cold Februarys. It just lacks SB intangibles.
Well it looks like the NFL owners don't agree with you because Indy gets 2012 SB. If they let Detroit host on I can't see why Indy can't. Just give them one to showcase their new stadium and then bring those superbowls back down south where they belong. We might get 2013 unless they give it to MIAMI...again. You are right about Indy being small, but most NFL cities seem small to this spread out place we call Houston.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Agree with Tennessee, also I would add Washington's FedEx Field (although it opened in 1997??) and is also the largest capacity in the NFL (currently).
What in Tennessee could attract any Super Bowl votes? I mean, there's only a certain amount of fun to be had in loogie spittin contests. Maybe a competitive game of pin the rug on Bud? Or maybe a game of "Are you smarter than'....Vince Young?

Old 05-20-2008   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No it wouldn't cause I would go to jail for assaulting a cowboys fan.
I'm pretty sure we could put together a general 'bail' fund for you and some others - that might be tempted.
Old 05-20-2008   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's not in Houston there is no better place than Indy. I will love to see how the Colts fans react to the Texans playing in their stadium in February.

Old 05-20-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL owners don't like H-town. I'm sure our burning hatred of Dud Adams doesn't help.
Old 05-20-2008   #18
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the league wants to spread it around, but Detroit and now Indy, I guess the NFL is ok with everything being held indoors come February...

I knew Houston would not get it...And Phoenix just had it, so Indy and the new stadium was a lock. I do not see it being held here any time soon...

But who cares, I would rather see several playoff games in Reliant than the Super Bowl !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think if a team builds a new stadium with a retractable roof, then it's virtually guaranteed to get a Super Bowl. If Indy had chosen to build an open air stadium, I don't think they would have gotten the Super Bowl.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain seems to think that there's not a good chance of Houston getting a superbowl bid in the next 10 years. I don't think that's too far off the mark (for once), and it seems that the NFL in general has always had a distaste for Houston NFL teams.

Even though this city could probably host an Olympics and it not be too much to handle, the Superbowl is just too much.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read