Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top 5 WR Corps?

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
Last night I met Joe Montana, yes that Joe Montana. He spoke at a dinner event for a conference I am attending in San Francisco. So I had the opportunity to talk a little football during the cocktail social with Joe for about 5 minutes.

I asked him if he had an opinion about the direction Houston was headed. He said he does not know Kubiak very well but talks to Steve (Young) quite a bit and Steve raves about Kubiak. However, he did say he thinks Houston's WR corps is probably in the top 5 in the league.

The best part was that there were some Cow Pattie fans at the dinner event too. He ragged on them (in good humored way) through out his speech. I was loving it. "Dallas fans we did not have one pick play in the playbook. That would have been illegal. But we had lots of rubbing plays. You can call it a pick if you want but it wasn't a pick. It was a rub." He told some pretty funny stories.

I would've sacked him for the crap he pulled in the dome with the Chiefs. Matter of fact.....forget that dude!!!

On a lighter note they are having a special on NFL Network today, I think at 7:30pm, talking about the top 10 WR corps of all time.

Last night I met Joe Montana, yes that Joe Montana. He spoke at a dinner event for a conference I am attending in San Francisco. So I had the opportunity to talk a little football during the cocktail social with Joe for about 5 minutes.

I asked him if he had an opinion about the direction Houston was headed. He said he does not know Kubiak very well but talks to Steve (Young) quite a bit and Steve raves about Kubiak. However, he did say he thinks Houston's WR corps is probably in the top 5 in the league.

The best part was that there were some Cow Pattie fans at the dinner event too. He ragged on them (in good humored way) through out his speech. I was loving it. "Dallas fans we did not have one pick play in the playbook. That would have been illegal. But we had lots of rubbing plays. You can call it a pick if you want but it wasn't a pick. It was a rub." He told some pretty funny stories.

Hmm....according to NFLN's Top Ten Fueds, Joe and Steve don't talk to each other. :thinking:

Thanks for the info. Must have been cool to mix it up with Montana, huh?

Hmm....according to NFLN's Top Ten Fueds, Joe and Steve don't talk to each other. :thinking:

Thanks for the info. Must have been cool to mix it up with Montana, huh?

Yeah. It was pretty cool and he really is a really nice guy. Kind of funny about NFLN. Joe mentioned that he, Young and Ronnie Lott invest together in some business ventures.

Wow, that's pretty cool to hear coming out of someone like Joe Montana, who has certainly played with enough good WRs to know the difference between a good receiving corp and a bad one.

Yeah. It was pretty cool and he really is a really nice guy. Kind of funny about NFLN. Joe mentioned that he, Young and Ronnie Lott invest together in some business ventures.

I suppose NFLN was just making something out of nothing. LOL.

He seems like a really cool and down to earth kinda guy. He was just on Rome a little while ago. Apparently he has a car in Indy. I think I heard him say that all winnings and donations go towards a childrens fund. If true, that should prove he's a great guy.

I think it was allstarsforkids.com :cool:

BOOOOO to the NFLN. I saw that 'Top 10 Fueds' that HOU-TEX mentioned. I liked it that one of the guys said that you will never see those two (Montana and Young) at the same event. The other people interviewed truly made it sound like they didn't like each other.... and now it's some BS love fest.... That's crap.

PS... Agree with El Tejano for that crap at the Dome in a KC uni.

:jk:

Like I mentioned before, they are going to show top WR corps in NFL history on NFLN tonight. I better see the FAB 4 on that list in the top 3.

I like our WRs as much as the next guy, but you have to have some good koolaid to believe we are in the top 5.

Aj is easily top 5, but after him, we have role players an unproven talent. Good, but not great

I'll take a stab at it. But I don't have the time at the moment to figure out each team's full WR contingent, so I'll go on the names I know (inexact, I admit), and I may miss some personnel changes.

1. New England. Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker. Even if they benefit from Tom Brady's brilliance, it is hard to rate this group below anyone else after the season they just had.

2. Arizona. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both are complete studs regardless of who they get to replace Bryant Johnson.

3. Cincinnati. Johnson, Houshmandzadeh and Henry. When they are all motivated and out of jail/off suspension, they might be better than anyone else.

4. Green Bay. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson. We'll see if they thrive without Favre, but I think Jennings is a budding star, Driver can still play and Jones showed much promise last year. Nelson will be an excellent player.

5. New York Giants. Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith. Maybe a little high for them, but they can all make plays.

I really like our wideouts, but I can't call them top 5. We have one legit star and some complementary pieces (the deep threat, the possession guy, etc.). We're probably in a group with the Steelers, Indy, Dallas and some others.

Like I mentioned before, they are going to show top WR corps in NFL history on NFLN tonight. I better see the FAB 4 on that list in the top 3.

Assuming the NFLN has not yet aired its Top 10 WR shows, here's my predictions for it (in no particular order):

The Air Coryell Chargers (Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson/Wes Chandler, Kevin Duckworth). This is a no-brainer if it is "receiver corps" so Winslow is included.

The Jerry Rice/John Taylor 49ers.

Stallworth/Swann

The early 1990's Oilers.

The Bruce/Holt/Hakim Rams.

Clayton/Duper--if only for 1984 alone.

The 2007 Patriots.

The post-Smurf Redskins (Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders)

Biletnikoff/Branch

I cannot bring myself to list Cowboys on any such list, so I'll leave myself to 9 guesses.

I'll take a stab at it. But I don't have the time at the moment to figure out each team's full WR contingent, so I'll go on the names I know (inexact, I admit), and I may miss some personnel changes.

1. New England. Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker. Even if they benefit from Tom Brady's brilliance, it is hard to rate this group below anyone else after the season they just had.

2. Arizona. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both are complete studs regardless of who they get to replace Bryant Johnson.

3. Cincinnati. Johnson, Houshmandzadeh and Henry. When they are all motivated and out of jail/off suspension, they might be better than anyone else.

4. Green Bay. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson. We'll see if they thrive without Favre, but I think Jennings is a budding star, Driver can still play and Jones showed much promise last year. Nelson will be an excellent player.

5. New York Giants. Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith. Maybe a little high for them, but they can all make plays.

I really like our wideouts, but I can't call them top 5. We have one legit star and some complementary pieces (the deep threat, the possession guy, etc.). We're probably in a group with the Steelers, Indy, Dallas and some others.

I would've put Indy and Detroit's corps in the top 5 instead of GB and NYG.

Harrison and Wayne are explosive and Bill Polian showed forethought in picking Anthony Gonzalez.

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson will be a dynamic duo and Shaun McDonald put up better numbers then some #2s in the league.

Stallworth is on the Browns now.

I would probably go:

1. Bengals -- Johnson, Housh, Henry
2. Browns -- Edwards, Stallworth, Jurevicius, Winslow
3. Cardinals -- Fitz and Boldin
4. Lions -- Johnson, Williams, and McDonald

Then at 5 you could go Pats (Moss and Welker), Texans (AJ, Walter, Davis, Daniels) or Packers (Driver, Jennings, Jones,) I would be fine with any one of those teams at 5. So, even if we're not top 5, I think we're close enough for it not to be totally absurd.

1. Bengals -- Johnson, Housh, Henry
Henry was released last month after his latest bout of stupidity.

The Bungles did take a 3 WRs in this past draft. Jerome Simpson (2nd round), Andre Caldwell (3rd), and Mario Urrutia (7th). Simpson is a small college phenom who played here in the Shrine Bowl. I really like Caldwell as a physical slot receiver. But Urrutia, a big WR out of Louisville, could be a real sleeper. Urrutia had a big soph season, but struggled with a turf toe injury as a junior. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the rookie to inherit Henry's role as a vertical threat.

Are you guys doing your rankings based on last season's performance or what you project they should do this coming season?
:thinking:

FYI, Henry got cut from the Bungals, and is a Free Agent, but I agree Ocho and Hushmadilla can carry them to the top 5 alone.

And I don't like to talk crap, but New York in the top 5???? As much as I hate mentioning Indy because I really really really dislike them how can you leave them out of the top 5, but Plexiglass, Its not a Toomer, and Steve freaking Smith? Steve Smith had 63 regular season yards last year. Mark Breuner is a better reciever than Steve Smith.

I like our WRs as much as the next guy, but you have to have some good koolaid to believe we are in the top 5.

Aj is easily top 5, but after him, we have role players an unproven talent. Good, but not great

I'm not talking about The Texans, I am talking about The Oilers Fab 4 (Jeffires,Givins, Hill, and Duncan). For almost a whole decade those guys destroyed defenses, with hardly/no running game.

i dont mind the top 3 but green bay and New york i dont agree with... maybe dallas... ahead of new york... as long as T.O and glenn are healthy.

The NFLN show that listed the top 10 WR Corp of all time was a joke. They didn't even list the Houston Oiler Fab 4. I'm sorry but those dudes were simply awesome and were way better than some of the old slow guys of yesteryear that they listed. What a crock!!!!

The NFLN show that listed the top 10 WR Corp of all time was a joke. They didn't even list the Houston Oiler Fab 4. I'm sorry but those dudes were simply awesome and were way better than some of the old slow guys of yesteryear that they listed. What a crock!!!!

I never for one second thought the Oilers should be or would be on that list (FWIW, the Marks Bros. shouldn't have been either and Swan/Stallworth should have IMO).

The fact that they had no running game is a problem - if all you can do is pass, then your stats are going to be skewed. Also, of the four main receivers (Hill, Jeffires, Givens and Duncan), not only are there no HOF'ers in the group, I've never even heard anyone's name mentioned in regard to it being a possiblility. Lastly, the fact that none of them ever got to a conference championship - much less a SB - makes it a pretty no-brain decision to leave them off. Check the Top 10 - Every single one of them has either HOF receivers (sometimes 2), SB winners, or both. The only exception was the aforementioned Dolphins, but they at least made a SB appearance.

Great fun to watch, and really exciting, but not even close to Top 10 ever.

Incorrect. The fact remains that they didn't have a running game and everyone in the world knew they were going to throw the ball. Isn't the point of alot of defenses to put you in 3rd and long. The Oilers would be in a lot of that. Not to mention all of them were getting 80-100 catches a season with 1000 yard seasons and having to share the rock with not 1, not 2 but 3 other receivers starting opposite of them.

Lets also take into consideration their size at the time. With the exception of Haywood, they were pretty much in between 5-7 to 5-9. They got smacked, they got mauled and they still burned people. I know they didn't get to Super Bowls but they did manage to get to 7 (count them) 7 straight play off appearances, and we all know (the game that will not be mentioned) had several blown calls that kept us from our destiny.

Incorrect. The fact remains that they didn't have a running game and everyone in the world knew they were going to throw the ball. Isn't the point of alot of defenses to put you in 3rd and long. The Oilers would be in a lot of that. Not to mention all of them were getting 80-100 catches a season with 1000 yard seasons and having to share the rock with not 1, not 2 but 3 other receivers starting opposite of them.

Lets also take into consideration their size at the time. With the exception of Haywood, they were pretty much in between 5-7 to 5-9. They got smacked, they got mauled and they still burned people. I know they didn't get to Super Bowls but they did manage to get to 7 (count them) 7 straight play off appearances, and we all know (the game that will not be mentioned) had several blown calls that kept us from our destiny.

Can't even think about agreeing with you when not a one of them so much as sniffed the HOF or a SB. In fact, of the entire group, the only one who even got an All Pro nod was Jeffires (one time). but since they're obviously in your top 10, who do you bump to get them there (and for this purpose, let's put Swan/Stallworth in the place of Clayton/Duper)?

Damn how can people be forgetting about the colts?
Gonzalez went off in the second part of the season, Marvin is still Marvin even if he was hurt last year, and Wayne is now top 3 in the league at least.

And as far as all time WR corps, you HAVE to include Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. Only trio ever to catch 10 TD each. Also the only trio ever to get 1,000 yards each. The did both in the same year. Not to mention Dallas Clark was still productive as well

Damn how can people be forgetting about the colts?
Gonzalez went off in the second part of the season, Marvin is still Marvin even if he was hurt last year, and Wayne is now top 3 in the league at least.

And as far as all time WR corps, you HAVE to include Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. Only trio ever to catch 10 TD each. Also the only trio ever to get 1,000 yards each. The did both in the same year. Not to mention Dallas Clark was still productive as well

They were in the NFLN list (Number Nine or Ten IIRC), and Dallas Clark was part of the reason also.

They weren't evaluating a single year, or just WR's, so for example, Marshall Faulk was included as part of the Rams receiving corp. because of the huge presence he had in their passing game. The #1 All-Time team was the Air Coryell Chargers, and both John Jefferson and Wes Chandler were included even though they were never on the team at the same time.

Can't even think about agreeing with you when not a one of them so much as sniffed the HOF or a SB. In fact, of the entire group, the only one who even got an All Pro nod was Jeffires (one time). but since they're obviously in your top 10, who do you bump to get them there (and for this purpose, let's put Swan/Stallworth in the place of Clayton/Duper)?

Ernest Givins has been to the Pro Bowl, and if memory serves correct so did Drew Hill.
To answer your question, the old guys they had for the Redskins. I definetly would do that.

Ernest Givins has been to the Pro Bowl, and if memory serves correct so did Drew Hill.
To answer your question, the old guys they had for the Redskins. I definetly would do that.

Actually, Duncan made a Pro-Bowl also (and while I can't specifically recall, Webster Slaughter may have made it while with the Oilers too). Pro-Bowls are good (and the Oilers receiving Corp we're talking about was good too), but every year 8-10 Wide Receivers are named to the Pro Bowl. There's only two All-Pro WR's named every year.

I'm curious as to the reason you chose to eliminate the team you did. What do you think makes the Run 'n Shoot Oilers better? The Redskin team you mentioned was a few years before my time (not many, but a few), so I have no first-hand knowledge of them, but 2/3 of the heart of the receiving corp. is now in the HOF (Charlie Taylor and Bobby Mitchell), and the TE for the team (Jerry Smith) was All-Pro a couple of times.

Again, I can't speak to a first-hand evaluation of the "old guys", but I can see that the folks who did see Taylor and Mitchell play chose to put them in Canton, while those watching Hill, Jeffires, Givins, Duncan and Slaughter made no such choice (and I agree with that decision).

Back