Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2008   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTAs: Day 1

Okam as a 5th rd. pick is > than Travis Johnson from an intelligence stand-point

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Okam as a 5th rd. pick is > than Travis Johnson from an intelligence stand-point
Okam's intelligence > lots of people in our society, not just Travis Johnson
Old 05-20-2008   #23
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

T.J gets a bad rap. But a lot of it he brings on himself. I was hoping that after getting married he would settle down a bit. Sill to be determined, I guess.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #24
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
T.J gets a bad rap. But a lot of it he brings on himself. I was hoping that after getting married he would settle down a bit. Sill to be determined, I guess.

What are you talking about? How is a muscle injury any indication that he hasn't "settled down"

The dude gets a horrible rap with no reason for it sometimes
Old 05-20-2008   #25
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Thank goodness for the Texans putting all the quotes on their website, so you can get a more complete view of things. I realize the Chronicle has limited space in the paper to put stories down and that their deadlines are tight, but I don't care for writing that possibly misleads a reader.
Misleading writing @ the Chronic? I can't possibly imagine that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
...and the other times he brings it COMPLETELY upon himself. He played w/ the spirit of a rented mule his first season.
Old 05-20-2008   #26
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
He played w/ the spirit of a rented mule his first season.

Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #27
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and he played like a man possessed last year. making plays all over the field and playing mean!

but why let that get in the way of your opinions of him from a few years ago.

all he did was make plays. what a looser. lets cut him.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2008   #28
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
and he played like a man possessed last year. making plays all over the field and playing mean!

but why let that get in the way of your opinions of him from a few years ago.

all he did was make plays. what a looser. lets cut him.
Who possesed him, somebody who can't stop the run up the middle? Seriously, if he was playing that great last year, we wouldn't have been hangin out near the bottom of the NFL vs the run on defense this past season.

Sorry, he hasn't added any to the sack game vs the pass, and I don't see him constantly stuffing would be gains into losses. Travis Johnson played just good enough last year to not lose his spot to Anthony Maddox full time (Which he did lose his spot to Maddox in '06). I think the Okam pick is very interesting, and I think that Johnson better play his little heart out this year or he might find himself on the wrong end of a small contract next year.

I don't hate the guy, but I see people say he was running around making plays, and I wonder "where was that happening at?" So by all means, I would love to know games that he completely dominated and took over last year.

EDIT : After reading that it seems snarky and assholish, but honestly, I didn't see all this great play that Johnson was making last season. His contract year is going to be interesting none the less.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think TJ has his place in our defense and is an asset.

But I also think that he would be best used as the 3rd DT in a rotation and not a starter next to Okoye.

Hopefully Okam becomes what people thought he would become after his sophomore year so TJ can be the 3rd DT in the rotation.

But admittedly that is a Homer expectation to expect a 5th round pick to become a starter in his rookie year. And a good starter to boot...
Old 05-20-2008   #30
ocd
Rookie

You guys know why TJ has a bad rap, you're just not saying it.

We refer to it as "operation Trent Green".

ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #31
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd View Post
You guys know why TJ has a bad rap, you're just not saying it.

We refer to it as "operation Trent Green".

TJ had a bad rap as soon as the Texans traded down and passesd on Derrick Johnson and Jamaal Brown to get him.

I think most of the hate is unwarranted but he definately isn't a 1st round caliber impact player. But at the same time he isn't a bust on the level of lots of 1st rounders. Just a solid role player imo.
Old 05-20-2008   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
What are you talking about? How is a muscle injury any indication that he hasn't "settled down"

He'll probably have that bad rap until he makes a pro-bowl or plays up to being a 1st round selection. It's a hard climb uphill for him with fans because he was a Casserly and Capers Pick. I'm still trying to figure out what made Capers think he'd be a perfect guy for DT in a 3-4 along with a lot of people I would guess.

Last year he played more like a guy that should've been a first day pick. It is a contract year for him but I don't t see him really having a breakout year unless some light turns on. Even then I wouldn't really expect the Texans brass to sign him long term to a big contract. My best guess would be he's going to have to decide how much he likes Houston this year and talk with Kubiak to see where his place would be.

Far as Okam goes I think he'll be better then most suspect. I think his roles at UT have been mixed between Gene Chizik and Duane Akina(looking forward to what Muschamp will do) . Do I think he'll start probably not this year but I think he'll make a impact.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 05-20-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Do I think he'll start probably not this year but I think he'll make a impact.
I don't know, I think it might make sense to "start" Okam. Seeing that the start of the game is 1st down and a run/pass down. Okam is a DT I would like to see on run downs, and I'd like to see Okoye on the field for passing downs. I'm not saying they shouldn't play Okoye on 1st down at all, just limit the number of snaps so he's fresh to rush the passer. The whole starter thing is overrated when Okoye, TJ, and Okam all rotate.
Old 05-20-2008   #34
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yeah, I think the point is, whatever you label C.Taylor, he needs to make this team. If that means he's one of four TBs on the roster and we only have one FB, then fine. With the injury history of Chris Brown and AGreen, they can't cut him loose.

My bet is, if everyone makes it out of camp healthy, Taylor will be one of four HBs on the roster, we'll keep one FB, and, John Abbate will be on the practice squad for insurance.
Perhaps. With the drafting of Slaton, I thought Taylor might be tried at FB again, but more along the lines of a two-back backfield, called Pony or Rocket in this article:

Offenses building backfield packages to challenge defenses
"We have the players to utilize a pony backfield package now, and we know the threat of the reverse by the speed back off the inside zone play and even a QB bootleg will hold the outside defenders and give us a front we can block to keep the running game moving down the field," said one head coach. "If teams still commit to the run then we feel our speed back gets the matchup we will take advantage of in the passing game."

IIRC most of our bootlegs last year came from one-back sets. A lot of teams had a DE spy on Schaub, and snifffed it out. Now imagine Slaton + whoever back there, with Slaton rolling out to the same side as Schaub or immediately going into a route. If the D were in man coverage, the WLB would have to pick through trash to cover Slaton. If they play zone, he'd be one-on-one with a DE. In either case, the spy couldn't zero in on Schaub. There are a lot of other scenarios - Slaton in motion, etc.

Technically, the second back would be lining up as a FB, although he'd be utilized as a TB. I guess that would apply to anyone lining up with Slaton.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Taylor at FB? He doesn't look anything like a FB. Did McFly, I mean McClain, ask that question?
Can't blame that one on McClain, he's still vacationing in France I believe.

Maybe they left the gates open and Justice snuck in.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #36
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't hate the guy, but I see people say he was running around making plays, and I wonder "where was that happening at?" So by all means, I would love to know games that he completely dominated and took over last year.

EDIT : After reading that it seems snarky and assholish, but honestly, I didn't see all this great play that Johnson was making last season. His contract year is going to be interesting none the less.
i'm not the best person to site specific games and specific plays because well, to be honest, my memory is sh!t. but i have season tickets and i go to all the games, i feel like he's a play maker but perhaps in the sense of effort and attacking the play. he made alot of plays on the sidelines at or near the line of scrimmage. for a DT to be out there by the numbers making plays is a big deal.

i know he doesn't get the sacks but he makes plays. and i remember him making big tackles on run plays. he's not a big guy that blocks two guys. he's more squirrly and spins out of blocks and dives at a guy and brings him down-type of guy.

perhaps dalemurphy could site specific instances since he has nothing better to do but log this stuff away.
Old 05-21-2008   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Can't blame that one on McClain, he's still vacationing in France I believe.
Right. It was Megan Manfull.
Old 05-21-2008   #38
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Dale Murphy posts on this board!?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #39
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I wonder if TJ's injury could be a sports hernia like ole Bennie Joppru had. We all know how that turned out.
Old 05-22-2008   #40
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Dale Murphy posts on this board!?
only when he can get his chubby little arms to rest on his belly, and getting those chubby little fingers to rest on the right keys... goodness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read