Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2008   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerome Solomon's article...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5786940.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Solomon
The Texans' receiving corps isn't nearly as good as most think it is. In fact, it is considered below average even if you rank Pro Bowler Andre Johnson among the top five wideouts in the league, which both of our scouts do.
Our guys say the 2004 and '05 starting group of Jabar Gaffney, Andre Johnson, Corey Bradford and tight end Mark Bruener barely edges the current backup crew of André Davis, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson and an older Bruener, thanks to Johnson.
What? I don't really get this. Below average with Andre Johnson? I'm really confused by this assertation. Can anyone relate to what Solomon's trying to say? I could ask him but that probably won't even garner a reply. It's tough getting writers to answer questions at times.

Actually, I'm confused by the article in its entirety. I'm not sure what he's trying to approach with the logic being implemented in there somewhere. Does anyone understand the article? Maybe an explaination? Explain it to me as if I was a six year old? Or is an explaination needed as if I was an adult?

This is just a useless article if you were to ask me? Absolutely utterly useless.
Old 05-17-2008   #2
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Solomon's article...

I think Jerome needs to take a remedial writing class or two at a local community college. That said, I think is overall point of the article is: our current backups are better than our previous starters.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #3
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Weird. I'm getting images of Mark Bruener in parallel universes competing against himself.

Things are slow, so I guess Solomon was working his brain overtime to come up with something.. If he were to compare the current backups with the backups from 04-05, I'm sure he'd get a laugh and a click on the other end of the line.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5786940.html

What? I don't really get this. Below average with Andre Johnson? I'm really confused by this assertation. Can anyone relate to what Solomon's trying to say? I could ask him but that probably won't even garner a reply. It's tough getting writers to answer questions at times.

Actually, I'm confused by the article in its entirety. I'm not sure what he's trying to approach with the logic being implemented in there somewhere. Does anyone understand the article? Maybe an explaination? Explain it to me as if I was a six year old? Or is an explaination needed as if I was an adult?

This is just a useless article if you were to ask me? Absolutely utterly useless.
He's trying to see if scouts think this year's current backups could beat out the '04 starters.

Dunno what who these scouts are but they can't be that good if they can't pick up on the fact that this year's receiving corps is head and shoulders above '04. I'm wondering if Dressen has the backup this year over Bruener. DD was a solid starter but taking into account the backups behind him and who we have now I'll take this year's backups too.

I would take this years backups over the starting oline in 04.

The only place I think there would be a push at is Linebacker and Dline respectively.

I think Jerome needs a second opinion from different scouts.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
He's trying to see if scouts think this year's current backups could beat out the '04 starters.

Dunno what who these scouts are but they can't be that good if they can't pick up on the fact that this year's receiving corps is head and shoulders above '04. I'm wondering if Dressen has the backup this year over Bruener. DD was a solid starter but taking into account the backups behind him and who we have now I'll take this year's backups too.

I would take this years backups over the starting oline in 04.

The only place I think there would be a push at is Linebacker and Dline respectively.

I think Jerome needs a second opinion from different scouts.
When I read this article my first thought was "I sure hope these aren't Texans scouts he's talking to" I want to believe our scouts are a little more observant than this.
Old 05-17-2008   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Andre Davis had a good year. But other than that, I don't think our Wide Recievers are as good as we think they are.

Jacoby showed flashes...... but nothing to say that he is an avg reciever. And while Walther has hands, and a stone jaw, you don't see people beating down our door to get him.

Surely, had we won a few more games, and got to the play-offs, the opinion of our WRs would have been much higher.
Old 05-17-2008   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Andre Davis had a good year. But other than that, I don't think our Wide Recievers are as good as we think they are.

Jacoby showed flashes...... but nothing to say that he is an avg reciever. And while Walther has hands, and a stone jaw, you don't see people beating down our door to get him.

Surely, had we won a few more games, and got to the play-offs, the opinion of our WRs would have been much higher.
I can maybe agree to them not being as good as we think they are somewhat but not certainly below average which is what Solomon's saying. That's simply ridiculous. For them to be considered below average, we would be needing to upgrade them somewhat. Minor upgrades sure we can throw Grice-Mullin and Harry in that bag but when someone says below average, I have to think that we'd be considering a major acquistion somewhere. I don't mean major by a number one WR but a major acquistion via FA or the draft. Neither was really a necessity this season.
Old 05-17-2008   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I can maybe agree to them not being as good as we think they are somewhat but not certainly below average which is what Solomon's saying. That's simply ridiculous. For them to be considered below average, we would be needing to upgrade them somewhat. Minor upgrades sure we can throw Grice-Mullin and Harry in that bag but when someone says below average, I have to think that we'd be considering a major acquistion somewhere. I don't mean major by a number one WR but a major acquistion via FA or the draft. Neither was really a necessity this season.
I agree. I have no idea how Solomon can say they are below average. We may not have one of the elite WR corps in the NFL but we certainly don't have one of the worst which is what below-average would mean. Kevin Walter is a good WR. He's not one of the best, but he does his job very well as the 2nd wideout. Andre Davis can spread the field by bringing that extra speed element and he seems to have rejuvinated his career with the Texans. Jacoby Jones is young and we still don't really know what we have in him. He looked very good in the preseason but inexperience and injuries limited him in the regular season.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The comment about the recievers is confusing. Walters, while not real speedy, is a great possession type reciever. When paired up with AJ, that's at worst, average compared to the rest of the NFL and much better than what we used to have. Andre Davis is pretty fair to middlin' and JJ will be much improved with time and coaching.

I just don't see where anyone can think this isn't our best crop of recievers in our short history.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think i just lost some brain cells.. agreed that jacoby needs to step up his game but the others are all playing well..

on another NFL board i frequent, there was a thread about the weakest and strongest receiving corps in the nfl. a noob said the texans had one of the weakest without andre and was roundly told off by many of the veterans of the board before i even saw the thread. in fact, we got several honorable mentions as having one of the strongest crews depth wise
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I agree with this statement. We have no #2 WR to play with AJ. Walters is a #3 at best, good hands but slow, slightly above average route runner. Davis was signed to take Mathis' spot and Jones fell off the face of the earth.

I am holding out hope that the kid from Hawaii we picked up as a UDFA works out.

If we don't draft a WR in the first round next year I think AJ should quit.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

heres the thread for those who are interested: its a pretty knowledgeable board imo that has many guys who follow the other teams pretty closely (and in case you're wondering im the only active texan poster on the board so these are all fans of diff teams not texan fans)

Quote:
The Saints are not Strong without Colston but Brees makes the others look good at times, and the Texans are the same without old Andre! But you are correct with San Fran tho they have upgraded. Or what about let's win our games with FG's Tennessee?
Quote:
Walter and Davis were productive last season.
Quote:
Andre has to be the best WR in the league. Schaub isn't a bad a QB either, which I guess was a little surprise that went un-noticed last season. Many we're expecting him to be second rate but fair play to the Texans. They know what they're doing.
Quote:
Agreed! On a pass 1st offense like the Pats or Saints then Andre puts up silly numbers the guy is a class act!
Quote:
Texans really aren't contenders to be anything close to the worst WR corps in the league. They've got a top #1 WR and Davis and Walter are both capable 2/3 types and they've got projects like Jacoby Jones who could be due for breakout seasons.
Quote:
Best 5 (in no particular order):

Pats
Colts
Packers
Cowboys (although TO and Terry G are getting old and been injured)
Browns

(Honourable mention to Texans)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
wr is the strongest position on the team depth wise (qb coming a close second).. just because they aren't 'big names', they dont always get their due recognition

edit: just read through the whole thread and am glad its been caught by some of the other posts...

i read an article a while back that texans wrs dropped the least amount of passes (total).. pretty impressive considering we threw for over 4000 yds (and andre missed 7 games)
Old 05-17-2008   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I agree with this statement. We have no #2 WR to play with AJ. Walters is a #3 at best, good hands but slow, slightly above average route runner. Davis was signed to take Mathis' spot and Jones fell off the face of the earth.

I am holding out hope that the kid from Hawaii we picked up as a UFDA works out.

nothing like a surefire first rd wr in the draft using our 1st on one of our positions of strength= success? not every team can be the cards/lions etc with two superstars. once our guys make plays to keep attention off of andre somewhat (which they have been able to do), we're set at wr

we have good guys.. and how does a slowwr who is an average route runner burn champ bailey among others. for a slow guy, he sure did make alot of big gainers last year
Old 05-17-2008   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
nothing like a surefire first rd wr in the draft using our 1st on one of our positions of strength= success? not every team can be the cards/lions etc with two superstars. once our guys make plays to keep attention off of andre somewhat (which they have been able to do), we're set at wr

we have good guys.. and how does a slowwr who is an average route runner burn champ bailey among others. for a slow guy, he sure did make alot of big gainers last year
Walters is a lot like DD was. A hard worker that was able to find a seam or crease and exploit it but unable to break away from the defender to hit the home run.

I got spoiled growing up, I had Drew Hill, Givens, and Jefferies as my WR's. Walters = Curtis Duncan. Duncan was a great possession receiver and kept a lot of drives going for us but he was a #4 WR. A possession receiver should not be your #2 guy. They call it a skill position for a reason.

We are not the worst core in the league but nothing to fear either.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am holding out hope that the kid from Hawaii we picked up as a UDFA works out.

I disagree...we do have a #2 WR to play with AJ, and his name is Owen Daniels. He's just listed as a TE.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Walters is a lot like DD was. A hard worker that was able to find a seam or crease and exploit it but unable to break away from the defender to hit the home run.

I got spoiled growing up, I had Drew Hill, Givens, and Jefferies as my WR's. Walters = Curtis Duncan. Duncan was a great possession receiver and kept a lot of drives going for us but he was a #4 WR. A possession receiver should not be your #2 guy. They call it a skill position for a reason.

We are not the worst core in the league but nothing to fear either.
I don't know about that. They really stepped up last year when AJ was hurt. On top of that our QB 1 was out for some of those games too. While we are fortunate enough to not have a huge drop off from Schaub to Sage there is a difference.

Andre Davis showed what he could do and proved to be very valuable, and that was our #3 guy at the start of the season. Walter is a very good possesion reciever as people above me stated, and gave the reasons why. If Jacoby comes along like a lot of us think he has the potential to, it will be a break out year for him. So that give us:

AJ - beast, one of the top WR in the league
Walter - posession receiver, good hands, takes tough hits
Davis - speedster, good hands
Jacoby - good #4 for sure, possible eruption this year ( i think this is going to happen)

Everyone else left to fight for the 5th spot:

David Anderson - good hands, solid depth.
Ryan Grice-Mullin - explosive, small, UFDA ( I am really pulling for this guy)
Darnell Jenkins - ??
Harry Williams - ??
LeRon McCoy - ??

And then we come to Owen Daniels, a proven target. And from everything I have read Slaton has good hands too.

Jacoby could come alive this season and bump Walter down the depth chart. Davis/Walter are pretty interchangeable as is IMO.

I think we are pretty solid a WR, and just as deep as a lot of playoff teams are, these guys can get the job done. If this team has a strong year, and I believe they will, the WR corp will be a good reason why.
Old 05-17-2008   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Amazing.

I just got through reading this entire thread, and not one time did anyone spell Kevin (Walter)'s name right.

Some knowledgable fans, I tell you what?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #18
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Amazing.

I just got through reading this entire thread, and not one time did anyone spell Kevin (Walter)'s name right.

Hardcore spelled it right. TexanSam spelled it right. Then that quote from the other board that Maddict... that NON-TEXAN fan even spelled it right.

Oh stop it and knock off the drama. There's nothing there. Grasping at straws now, sir. Or maybe a reading class in the future?

Last edited by NitroGSXR; 05-17-2008 at 10:51 PM.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Amazing.

then maybe you should re-read it

only thorn and texanred called him walters.. 2 people

sweeping (and incorrect) statements FTL
Old 05-17-2008   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
then maybe you should re-read it

only thorn and texanred called him walters.. 2 people

sweeping (and incorrect) statements FTL
Marcu is a knowlegeable fan who does not even take the time to actually read what's being said here. LMAO. Marcus is a knowledgeable fan who can't even see that Walter's name is being spelled correctly by not one, not two, but three. LMAO. Three .vs two gets us a sweeping incorrect statement from Marcus. Amazing, I tell you. LMAO.

:mshadows:

I still like you just fine, Marcus.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read