Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-19-2008   #21
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offensive Line

Here's what I read (from Lance Zierlein's blog):

Duane Brown, LT, Virginia Tech: First the negative. Brown is clearly a project in pass protection and I don't even know if that is debatable. He gave up 8.5 sacks last season and if you watched his games and you watched him at the Shrine Game practices you would have seen a guy with physical talent but a real problem with technique. He doesn't appear to be as quick out of his stance as he needs to be. Let's look at the positives. He has the ability to play in the zone scheme which means he can get his "scoop block" which will open up the outside zone running game which will help the play-action bootleg passing game. Not only will it help the passing game, but it opens up the cutback lanes in the running game because if teams fear your outside running game then they have to flow to the outside more aggressively. Brown also has a nasty streak and my guess is that the Texans are very confident he will cut block. Cut blocking is of the utmost importance if you want a significantly upgraded running game because it opens up gaping running holes on the backside when the DT is on the ground or you have a tackle who is athletic enough to wash a LB down into the pack opening up the cutback lane.
Z-Report Says: Ultimately, I think Brown can come in and help fairly quickly in the running game but I don't really see any way around his pass protection deficiencies. It is going to take time (ie. coaching) for him to improve and he'll need to improve in that area because the teams in the AFC South can get after the QB.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #22
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I'm not sure that Myers is an upgrade. He is a question mark.
I'm glad someone else was thinking this... it's been bugging me.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Here's what I read (from Lance Zierlein's blog):

Duane Brown, LT, Virginia Tech: First the negative. Brown is clearly a project in pass protection and I don't even know if that is debatable. He gave up 8.5 sacks last season and if you watched his games and you watched him at the Shrine Game practices you would have seen a guy with physical talent but a real problem with technique. He doesn't appear to be as quick out of his stance as he needs to be. Let's look at the positives. He has the ability to play in the zone scheme which means he can get his "scoop block" which will open up the outside zone running game which will help the play-action bootleg passing game. Not only will it help the passing game, but it opens up the cutback lanes in the running game because if teams fear your outside running game then they have to flow to the outside more aggressively. Brown also has a nasty streak and my guess is that the Texans are very confident he will cut block. Cut blocking is of the utmost importance if you want a significantly upgraded running game because it opens up gaping running holes on the backside when the DT is on the ground or you have a tackle who is athletic enough to wash a LB down into the pack opening up the cutback lane.
Z-Report Says: Ultimately, I think Brown can come in and help fairly quickly in the running game but I don't really see any way around his pass protection deficiencies. It is going to take time (ie. coaching) for him to improve and he'll need to improve in that area because the teams in the AFC South can get after the QB.
Hmm, I think that his pass protection problems are going to be masked by rollouts, bootlegs, the running game stretch plays, and play action fakes. I think what they want in a LT, is not going to be the traditional "Can defend a DE on an island and give the QB unlimited time to throw" but more of a RT type player that you can use in the run game and isn't as good at pass protection.

Not to say that LZ is wrong, because, I'm sure Duane Brown does have pass protection issues that are glaring, which is why a lot of people are surprised he went so high. I do believe that in order for this experiment to work, Alex Gibbs is probably going to be here for more than just 1 year. I think this year we'll see less hard knocks on the QB because our running game will be more fearsome, even if it suffers injuries.

Either way, I think Duane Brown will upgrade the pass protection by being able to make the run game more effective. I'm only hoping that these things will be enough to cover up the fact that he might not be quick enough off the snap to get into place against an elite DE 1-on-1.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it's safe to say that defenses have been able to pretty much "t-off" on our qb in the past because we haven't been running the ball well. no doubt a better running attack will make our pass protection better. even if it's a split second after the snap that the defense has to look for the run first. that spilt second could make a huge difference.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read