Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-15-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just curious:How big of an oiler fan were you?

just wondering how big of an oiler fan and what kind of oiler stuff did you have?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Just curious:How big of an oiler fan were you?

* thinks about mentioning the storage room full of Oilers stuff that my grandpa and uncle own *

* puts tape of 9/18/77 game against the Jets into the VCR, hits 'play' *

Meh, not really much.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

just curoius , what kind of souvenirs does one have?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

My House of Pain shirt is about all that's left. Bud really POed me.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Never liked them

I guess they sucked since I was a kid and never got into them
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #6
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

To be honest, I'm too young to know or really have been one to an extent.

My family still keeps the Oilers close to their hearts. It took a while for them to start hating the Tacks. I however, started hating September 8, 2002. When I started getting into the football, the only team that was there for me to watch was the Titans, so I started watching them. Was a fan from 98-01.

I do have a lot of Oilers stuff. Baby Oilers jersey (from when I was little), 3 Oilers caps. Ones new and the other two are old. Poster from '92 season. 1973 Team Card Set. Neon light, 2 T-Shirts (one new). Uh... my dad has all of the earl stuff at his place. Earl signed footballs, rookie cards, ect.

I did go to the last oiler game in the 'dome. Was the Bengals game. That's really all I remember. Oh, and that and someone had a bengal stuffed animal or something hanging from a noose. It was really cold out, and rofl, no condition for a 5 year old kid to be out running about in. LOL
Old 05-16-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
just wondering how big of an oiler fan and what kind of oiler stuff did you have?
I've never been much of one for memorabilia. I LOVED the Oilers; they were my team growing up. I had a few game programs from the 1-13 seasons. I had Elvin Bethea's autograph.

I never had a jersey or anything like that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2008   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone that lived in Houston and watched football in the love you blue days was an oiler fan. Except of course those obnoxious bandwagon cowgirl fans. Some things never change.

All I have left is an original oiler blue sweat suite, autograph Earl Campbell pic, a table lamp made out of an oiler helmet & autograph Ray Childress football I got from a superior water beds promotion. The rest of my stuff has disappeared over the years.

I was heartbroken when they left. It took several years for me to get over them.

PS I have 2 unopened bobble head dolls of our beloved Texans first ever QB that are for sale if anyone is interested.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #9
whiskeyrbl

I still have a set of rock glasses from the '84 season, I think they were giving them away at Exxon when you filled up. I also still have an unopened 6-pack of Snake Venom( Ken Stabler Coke ). An Oilers Team Jacket and some programs left.
Old 05-16-2008   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 106329 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

About all I have is my Houston Oilers #1 album of Oiler songs and my Oiler sock, yes, sock. I lost the other one over time but I'll never figure on how you lose half of a pair of socks. I think I know where it is, but it's just theory.

A lot of great memories, a lot of bad ones......
Old 05-16-2008   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 212887 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I lived and died with them every Sunday but I bought very little Oiler gear or stuff. I always thought the Oilers had some of the crappiest merchandise back in the day and I distinctly remember on more than one occaision seeing something cool with a Cowboys logo on it and then trying to find one with the Oiler logo but being dissappointed. This was the mid 70's right up to Earl's arrival. It got better then but I always felt that they were just a badly marketed product. I had a few caps and some shirts but that was about it.

Looking around today online I think there's cooler Oiler gear for sale today than we ever had when they existed. The only thing I own pertaining to the Oilers right now is a set of helmet decals (the real thing too) and my McFarlane Earl Campbell figure. I'm planning on adding a Warren Moon figure next month when it comes out and I've been thinking of breaking down and buying the Steve McNair and Eddie George variants in their Oiler gear. Those I'm torn on because I think of them as Titans but they were Oilers originally so I guess it'll be ok.
Old 05-16-2008   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was the biggest fan ever for the Oilers. I live in Austin. At school, when someone referred to me and the other person didn't know who I was, they would say 'Oh that Oiler dude?' or 'The dude that wears all the Oiler stuff'.

When I was in kindergarten, I took a picture with my Oiler jacket on because I never took that thing off.
I cried when we lost games even when I was 20,
I got into fights at school because people made fun of us.
Just to be an Oiler fan I would go to Dallas Cowboy camp in Austin post up my truck full of Oiler gear and turn on Houston Oilers #1 fight song full blast.

I still have ornaments, stickers, shirts, jackets, newspaper clippings, football cards (rookies like Earl Campbell, Ernest Givens, Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews) all signed, Starting Lineup figures of Ray Childress, Drew Hill, Warren Moon, Alonzo Highsmith. You name it I got it. Even a Luv Ya Blue Belt buckle.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #13
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I was never anything close to an Oiler fan. I've also never lived in Houston, and only moved to this general region of Texas after the Oilers were gone.

This has led to some confusion in several threads on this and other boards, when people talking about the history of the Texans start making references to Oilers players.

Of course, my earliest point of confusion regarding Oilers history had to do with a TV commercial. I was really confused for quite a while as to why there was a woman saying "Ray, there goes that Clobber Line again" when the guy's name was Lawrence Marshall....
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've never been much of one for memorabilia. I LOVED the Oilers; they were my team growing up. I had a few game programs from the 1-13 seasons. I had Elvin Bethea's autograph.

I never had a jersey or anything like that.
I'm with you PN. I considered myself a huge Oiler fan, but I rarely bought things Oilers. Other than a few $10 t-shirts, I don't buy Texans gear either. I don't really know why. I guess it just isn't my thing.

Like Showtime, I had the Oilers #1 single and practically wore it out.
Old 05-16-2008   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274145 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

35-3 is permanently etched into my being. If that ain't an Oiler fan, I don't know what is.
Old 05-16-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
35-3 is permanently etched into my being. If that ain't an Oiler fan, I don't know what is.
Agreed!

After that:

Elway comeback
Montana (KC) comeback
Steelers (bad call)

Old 05-16-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Where to start... where to start??

Several autographed photos. Dr. Doom (my all-time favorite - ever), Earl, Bum, Elvin Bathea, Rob Carpenter, Greg Bingham, and several from the run-and-shoot days. I have a Pittsburgh Steeler terrible towel from the final season here when the Oilers won 23-13 over the steelers, that we mutilated. I have strip of Astroturf from one of the seams. I still have some Mack Hayes Albums including Oilers Hits Album. I'm sure that I have tons more stuff packed away, too.

Other than that, I was a casual fan...................
Old 05-16-2008   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Same here.

I was in high school, and I begged my parents to let me stay home from school. I knew my friends would rag me HARD for 35-3. I mean, seriously...I was physically ill.

When the game ended, it had been snowing and was very cold outside. I grabbed a baseball bat and found the nearest tree on our farm and commenced to violently beat the tree with the bat as I cried tears of extreme frustration and anger. We would have won the Super Bowl that year, I don't doubt it for a second. LOL. I'm sure my parents were wondering if I needed serious counseling when that happened. I went into about a 2-week depression. I actually had to reevaluate how I followed sports because of that situation. My view now: They're all winners, even when they lose--Millionaires playing a game and I'm sitting on my rear watching them...so, I need to relax and keep it in perspective.

My dad is a life-long Cowboys/Rangers/Mavericks fan. I became an Oiler/Astros/Rockets fan more-so just to spite him and have something to talk trash about to him. But I am still a Houston sports fan to this day.

When Rockets won the first title: I ran outside into the front yard, did a soccer player slide on my knees and pumped both arms into the air and said "Yesssssss!!! THANK YOU GOD!"

When Astros got intot he World Series, and Biggio and Bagwell had that glance at each other in the dugout...I freaking started bawling like a baby.

Now, I just need to see us reach the next level in the NFL. I MUST see something that says we're going to be a legitimate team. I am liking the last two drafts, and you can see that players from 4 or 5 years ago would not be making the team THIS year...so that's very encouraging.
Old 05-16-2008   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Sadly, they were everything to me. I was actually at the Buffalo game. I really don't want to talk much about it past that... but we had season tickets, sat right behind the flag-waving, face-painted, overall-wearing guy who sat on the edge near one of the endzones.

Somewhere there's a videotape of me in the stands in Buffalo, during the choke - cautioning the group at halftime that the game was not over, and we needed to remember that we were up big on Denver the year before at halftime too.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I was an Oilers fan in that I cheered for the team and watched them on the TV. I think i went to a grand total of 5 games, including the infamous Preseason game against SD that was called off on account of a "bad field". I had a couple of hats and shirts but that was probably the extent of my "fandom".

I am a much bigger Texans fan than I ever was as an Oilers fan.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read