Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2008   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Toughest Division in NFL on NFLN

In a discussion on Total Access about the Toughest Division, Faulk said the South isn't. He says that VY is going to regress and that we need to find a running back.

However, SCHEFTER said that Mario is the best defensive end in all of pro football. Schefter thinks that the AFC South is the best division in football.

I was not expecting that about Mario.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Toughest Division in NFL on NFLN

We should probably get use to it this season if Mario continues on the level of play he was at the end of last season (and improves as well). Even better, if the team plays well and goes above .500.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #3
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In a discussion on Total Access about the Toughest Division, Faulk said the South isn't. He says that VY is going to regress and that we need to find a running back.

However, SCHEFTER said that Mario is the best defensive end in all of pro football. Schefter thinks that the AFC South is the best division in football.

Well, the Texans may have already found their RB in Slaton, or maybe even Taylor, but he is absolutely right about VY.
Old 05-15-2008   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I thought Mario still has another year to develop...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I thought Mario still has another year to develop...
Texans coaches/staff expect him to make a jump like most rookies do going into their second season. If Mario really does that this year....damn.
Old 05-15-2008   #6
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Texans coaches/staff expect him to make a jump like most rookies do going into their second season. If Mario really does that this year....damn.
Then again, there aren't many 290 pound black guys who can do a good hula.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Well, the Texans may have already found their RB in Slaton, or maybe even Taylor, but he is absolutely right about VY.
I at least hope he's right about VY. The Titans weren't supposed to be all that good because they let all of their wideouts go in free agency and had to rely on Lendale White having a good season. This year, it doesn't look like they've improved the WR situation too much, and they drafted another RB, which makes me think that they don't think Lendale White is going to be an every down game in game out back. And Chris Henry is not living up to his drafted status.

All that said, if the Titans defense is as excellent as it was last season, they will be hanging around and be close in more games than not. I want the Titans to fail so badly, but everytime people say they should fail, they get a playoff spot. So I don't think the Titans are going to be a below average team while their defense can make so many plays.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2008   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
So I don't think the Titans are going to be a below average team while their defense can make so many plays.
Right now the Titans are a better team than us, as is Jacksonville and Indy. Until we prove that wrong, either this season or next, and after our best season, we are still going into this one from a 4th place finish.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #9
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Right now the Titans are a better team than us, as is Jacksonville and Indy. Until we prove that wrong, either this season or next, and after our best season, we are still going into this one from a 4th place finish.
Take it back, Thorn!
Old 05-15-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Take it back, Thorn!

Oh, did I forget to say the Titans will end up in 4th place this year? Oops.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Looked to me like that happened last season. Is Young going to get worse than 9 TDs/17 INTs...??

And I wouldn't say our division is the undisputed toughest... I think its between the APC South and NFC East. The Eagles will leapfrog the 'Skins just like we'll leapfrog the Titans. But there are no "auto-win" pansies in either division.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think the Titans are going to be a below average team while their defense can make so many plays.
While I don't totally disagree with your logic - the Tacks DO seem to win with very little offense - I think that, sooner or later, winning primarily with just your strong defense (and a good kicker) will stop getting the job done.

just ask Chicago ...or Baltimore
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
While I don't totally disagree with your logic - the Tacks DO seem to win with very little offense - I think that, sooner or later, winning primarily with just your strong defense (and a good kicker) will stop getting the job done.

Ravens won a SB, Chicago went to one.
Old 05-15-2008   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Until proven otherwise, the Colts are the division power, but IMO, the Jags are probably going to be the top dog when the smoke clears. They are really solid on both sides of the ball with a QB that doesn't make mistakes. We will have a hard time IMO finishing better than third. We certainly could, but it won't be easy and will likely take some help via some other teams, injuries or just luck. I think our team has a chance to be real good, but we have a tough starting go and a tough division.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, all common logic points to their decline. I think the Titans, much like the Texans, have many flaws at which somebody could point at as to what would make them not a good team. However, I'll believe the Titans are in the decline when they fall below .500.

If Young still doesn't show anything, I think you could see a lot more people turn on him.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I at least hope he's right about VY. The Titans weren't supposed to be all that good because they let all of their wideouts go in free agency and had to rely on Lendale White having a good season. This year, it doesn't look like they've improved the WR situation too much, and they drafted another RB, which makes me think that they don't think Lendale White is going to be an every down game in game out back. And Chris Henry is not living up to his drafted status.

All that said, if the Titans defense is as excellent as it was last season, they will be hanging around and be close in more games than not. I want the Titans to fail so badly, but everytime people say they should fail, they get a playoff spot. So I don't think the Titans are going to be a below average team while their defense can make so many plays.
My guess is Fisher figured out what he has at qb/rb in Vince. I don't think i expect his downfield passing game to make a leap this year and it can be a liability. I'm expecting Algae Crumpler to make an impact and the Offense to look David Carr-esque. Dump passes and some QB runs. Much as it pains me to say this Their defense will be better with Kearse back in the fold. That bolded line pisses me off too.

Jax may look solid on both sides but their game isn't predicated on being behind. Long as Peyton Manning is lined up under center and Bob Sanders is in the secondary the Colts are the best team in the AFC South.

I like the way our squad looks now. Our offense next year has the chacne to be VERY explosive and if we can get Weaver and Kalu or whomever getting some pressure opposite Mario this team could be pretty darn good on the defensive side of the ball to. I think Amobi can bring some heat and Okam could help in the run game and can collapse the pocket. I'm REALLY excited about this coming season.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

PFF PLZ the AFC SOuth

THe jags and colts both got past round 1 in the playoffs

The bucs not so much and i was for sure THe bucs where going to beat NY .. o how i was wrong

and THe texans will be on the top of are divison this year ....
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looked to me like that happened last season. Is Young going to get worse than 9 TDs/17 INTs...??

And I wouldn't say our division is the undisputed toughest... I think its between the APC South and NFC East. The Eagles will leapfrog the 'Skins just like we'll leapfrog the Titans. But there are no "auto-win" pansies in either division.
Schefter said that Young regressed last season and that he should turn it around next season... iirc.

But our division was 30-10 outside of the division last year. And that was better than any other division.
Old 05-16-2008   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Ravens won a SB, Chicago went to one.
So did Tennessee.
Old 05-16-2008   #20
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Eagles will leapfrog the 'Skins just like we'll leapfrog the Titans. But there are no "auto-win" pansies in either division.
What, we lost the 'auto-win pantsy' tag? Why didn't I get the memo ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read