Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2008   #21
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our new cornerback.

I like our CB core. If we can get a healthy Dunta back, we have: DRob, Fred Bennett, Reeves, and Molden. Pretty good core from what I am reading/watching.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #22
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think that the Texans will bring in another Cornerback before training camp is over and I look for them to go after a guy like CB- Andre Dyson who has good speed and tons of starting experience. Guys lets calm down and let use get to mini-camp before you write the guy off as trash.
Old 05-15-2008   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Jacques Reeves was a rookie starter so you tell me what rookie starting corner doesn't get beat?
Where is this coming from?? Jacques been in the league for 4 years now.
Old 05-15-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Give him a chance guys look the cowboys played a lot of zone coverages and we all know that the cowboys safeties were horrible except for Ken Hamlin. Jacques Reeves was a rookie starter so you tell me what rookie starting corner doesn't get beat? Jacque has good size and speed that the texans look for in cornerbacks and maybe the flaws that Jon Hoke and Ray Rhodes saw on film probably thinks that they can be corrected by working on his technique.
Jacque Reeves was not a rookie last year. He was in his 4th year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #25
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's really setting the bar high for a 3rd round cornerback don't you think?? Jaques is young, with experience, and is coming from a winning team.

Right now, Jacques is arguably our best cornerback.

We've got to hope Dunta comes back healthy.

We've got to hope Bennet can beat Jacques out to start.

We've got to hope Molden can earn a starting spot...

$4 million doesn't really sound like a lot of money, when the odds are that he will very likely be starting opposite a second year second day pick, or a rookie second day pick.
Yeah, I'm probably setting the bar alittle too high on Molden, but I wasn't expecting Bennett to do as good as he did last year. So Bennett to improve and for Smith and Kubiak to draft another stud CB in Molden doesn't seem unrealistic to me. And Dunta seems determined to get back on the field... so if Molden plays better than Reeves I could see Reeves being the #4 corner. But with his talent I sure would be thrilled if he was.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Yeah, I'm probably setting the bar alittle too high on Molden, but I wasn't expecting Bennett to do as good as he did last year. So Bennett to improve and for Smith and Kubiak to draft another stud CB in Molden doesn't seem unrealistic to me. And Dunta seems determined to get back on the field... so if Molden plays better than Reeves I could see Reeves being the #4 corner. But with his talent I sure would be thrilled if he was.
My point is that the Texans signed Jacques with no idea who they would end up with in the draft. Dunta on IR, and Bennet.

$4 million is money well spent.
Old 05-15-2008   #27
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he did say 'rookie starter' ie first year of actually starting.... not 'starting rookie'- starting 1st yr player
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2008   #28
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Jacque Reeves was not a rookie last year. He was in his 4th year.
I said he was a rookie starter (First Time) not an NFL ROOKIE!!!!
Old 05-15-2008   #29
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point is that the Texans signed Jacques with no idea who they would end up with in the draft. Dunta on IR, and Bennet.

$4 million is money well spent.
Exactly. And the guy is supposed to be a better press guy than a zone guy. I suspect he will be at the worst an average starting corner and for the moment I can live with that. And the money is about right for an average starting CB in the NFL.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Neccesary footnotes:
1 - The Cowboys had 2 1st round picks
2 - If the Texans had traded down again they would not have Duane Brown on the team as San Deigo was primmed to take him.
3 - The Texans did pick up an additional CB in the draft, Molden.
4 - The Texans did not have the money to target a higher CB in FA, espically if they had resigned Hutchins before making any moves.
I know your not the one saying it, but why the rampant love for Non freakin Hutchings... Its VON HUTCHINGS! He isnt what you call a lock down CB, hard hitting CB, FS, SS, any saftey. He was stop gap, and when they got a chance to get a young guy with upside for not alot of money guaranteed, they took it. Then, as a secondary precaution, they drafted another. What more do you want? They are handling a weakness on the team the best they can, outside of giving up crazy jack for Samuels, Nannnanmnsdajbgdis Ashmoungekmmsnl, or picks for a locker room cancer named Deangello Hall.
Old 05-16-2008   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said he was a rookie starter (First Time) not an NFL ROOKIE!!!!
I don't think you should have worded it like that. It's too easy to misinterpret what you meant. You should have said first-time starter or something like that. Because to me and at least one other person, a rookie starter is a rookie who's starting not a veteran who's starting for the first time.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #32
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's really setting the bar high for a 3rd round cornerback don't you think?? Jaques is young, with experience, and is coming from a winning team.

Right now, Jacques is arguably our best cornerback.

We've got to hope Dunta comes back healthy.

We've got to hope Bennet can beat Jacques out to start.

We've got to hope Molden can earn a starting spot...

$4 million doesn't really sound like a lot of money, when the odds are that he will very likely be starting opposite a second year second day pick, or a rookie second day pick.
Actually Bennett is our #1 CB. Fred was playing the left side of the field (Dunta's side) in mini-camp and said that Kubiak had called him and told him that he was our #1 corner this year. So, the onus would be on Reeves to beat out Fred once Dunta returns.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Reeves turns out to be a truly average starting CB and can do nothing more spectacular than do his job in an adequat manner then we should send Rick Smith & Co. a muffin basket or something for taking care of our CB shortage at this price point while still taking something other than CB with our first rounder.

Reeves and Bennett are together a good enough starting pair IF our defensive line can generate some pressure AND Demps keeps playing like he did at the end of last season. They should be able to hold the fort down until Robinson gets back ASSUMING we don't get torn up by the injury bug. Once we get Dunta back the Texans will be as deep at CB with quality players as they've been since Aaron Glenn left.

I'm good with that.
Old 05-16-2008   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Actually Bennett is our #1 CB. Fred was playing the left side of the field (Dunta's side) in mini-camp...
NTZ, I know you are just reporting what's been printed, but Robinson didn't play on the defensive left side in '07. Dunta played RCB (on the offense's left side) last year. Just as he had his rookie season with Aaron Glenn on the opposite side. Faggins played LCB until the Raider game, when Bennett replaced him in the lineup.

I don't know whether Bennett was playing Dunta's side or not. Usually, a #1 WR (or Z receiver) lines up on the right side of the formation. That means the LCB usually faces the top receiver. Despite that, the Texans moved Robinson to the RCB spot last year. Maybe because he was more comfortable, maybe because they planned to roll coverages to the other side.

Whatever the reason, Robinson was having a stellar year prior to his devastating injury. Of course, Faggins was getting murdered on the opposite side. Bennett played LCB from the Oakland game on, while Hutchins eventually moved into the RCB spot. So the question I have, is Bennett staying at LCB? Or is he playing Dunta's RCB spot? Thanks to the shoddy reporting we get on the Texans from the local media, we probably won't know until we eyeball them at training camp.

Last edited by Lucky; 05-16-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
NTZ, I know you are just reporting what's been printed, but Robinson didn't play on the defensive left side in '07. Dunta played RCB (on the offense's left side) last year. Just as he had his rookie season with Aaron Glenn on the opposite side. Faggins played LCB until the Raider game, when Bennett replaced him in the lineup.

I don't know whether Bennett was playing Dunta's side or not. Usually, a #1 WR (or Z receiver) lines up on the right side of the formation. That means the LCB usually faces the top receiver. Despite that, the Texans moved Robinson to the RCB spot last year. Maybe because he was more comfortable, maybe because they planned to roll coverages to the other side.

Whatever the reason, Robinson was having a stellar year prior to his devastating injury. Of course, Faggins was getting murdered on the opposite side. Bennett played LCB from the Oakland game on, while Hutchins eventually moved into the RCB spot. So the question I have, is Bennett staying at LCB? Or is he playing Dunta's RCB spot? Thanks to the shoddy reporting we get on the Texans from the local media, we probably won't know until we eyeball them at training camp.
IMO, we should stay status quo. I reckon I'm old school by saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Meaning only fix what's broke (RCB). We can all agree Bennett did well as our LCB, correct? So plug Reeves in as our RCB to start TC and see how it works out.

If we know it works...leave it. That goes for moving Winston, Pitts or Spencer around on the Oline too.

Old 05-16-2008   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, we should stay status quo. I reckon I'm old school by saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Meaning only fix what's broke (RCB). We can all agree Bennett did well as our LCB, correct? So plug Reeves in as our RCB to start TC and see how it works out.
I see your point. But, what side does Reeves play better? I think he mainly played at LCB last year, but I'm not the most avid Cowboy fan. I think this is something they'll have to work out in camp. I'm really interested in who will play the slot receiver until Dunta returns.
Old 05-16-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see your point. But, what side does Reeves play better? I think he mainly played at LCB last year, but I'm not the most avid Cowboy fan. I think this is something they'll have to work out in camp. I'm really interested in who will play the slot receiver until Dunta returns.
Yeah, I'm not up on the Cowboys either, but iirc he was more of a nickelback, right? Or at least he was up until someone got hurt.

I'm with you. Training camp should iron everything out, but figure they'll go into camp status quo except Reeves on the right side.

Hmm, I guess it really depends how Molden does in camp. IMO, Fletch should go into camp as our #3 CB. I'd rather not see Petey near our defense for now on.
Old 05-16-2008   #38
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I stand corrected. That's what you get for taking the Chron for its word.

Regardless, Bennett did say Kubiak called him and said he has to step up and be out #1 corner this year. So, take that FWIW You'd assume that means he'd be lining up on the left.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #39
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Reeves was a nice insurance policy for Dunta . Reeves has something that Bennett has but Petey and the others don't ... speed .

Molden is a great athlete that they think they can coach up . I put my money on they inquired about his being coachable .
Old 05-16-2008   #40
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Regardless, Bennett did say Kubiak called him and said he has to step up and be out #1 corner this year. So, take that FWIW
I do think that's interesting. As I said, many teams put their top CB on the defensive left side. The Broncos and Champ Bailey, for one. Some teams keep their top CB on the oppostion's #1 WR. I don't think the Texans will do that, as Richard Smith is trying to give the offense a generic look pre-snap, but who's to say for sure.

Sometimes, photos or film clips out of the mini-camps will help decipher these questions. I was looking for through some to determine where Frye was playing on the o-line. I found squat. They're being very secretive at Reliant Park. Oh for the good ol' days, when Casserly would spill the beans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read