Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2008   #1
hdbn
Rookie

Default SI article on Mario Williams

Thought you guys might be interested in this article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
hdbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #2
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: SI article on Mario Williams

MW FTW!!! I cant wait to see him blow up backfields this year. The end of last year he was insanely better at rushing, some of that has to be credited to Amobi and TJ getting decent pressure too. He has always been good against the run to, which IMO is underatted for a every down pass rusher (see Freeney).

At the bottom it talks about Roy Williams sucking in coverage. Makes you think maybe our new CB might be ok.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #3
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

All good news on the Mario front this year, although I would like his inspiration to be the first winning season in team history and the playoffs. I am fine with him being motivated period. Any guess on sack totals and who the "Texans Official" was? Im guessing 18 sacks and the Kubster as the official. I am excited about the dlines potential, I hope someone steps up on the opposite side of Mario.
Old 05-15-2008   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would have thought, two drafts ago, that we'd be sitting here today with the conventional wisdom being that Mario Williams is on the verge of being the preeminent pass rusher in the NFL?

The story surrounding Mario/Reggie/Vince is rapidly becoming a nice chunk of sports folklore for the ages in which the once lowly Texans made the right call in the face of all public ridicule and fan outcry. As a longtime Houston sports fan, I, for one, am extremely satisfied with that.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still want Reggie.

Actually, all I really wanted to do at the time was trade down, but I can honestly say that I'm glad we didn't/couldn't (whatever).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #6
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With his confidence buoyed, Williams has started to combine his freakish athleticism with a solid set of rush moves to wear out tackles on the edge. His consistency is also improving and he appears to be on the verge of becoming one of the game's top pass rushers. "Players typically make their biggest improvement from their first to second year," said the Texans' official. "But Mario's injury hampered his rookie season, so we are expecting him to make that jump this year."
Damn.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I still want Reggie.

Actually, all I really wanted to do at the time was trade down, but I can honestly say that I'm glad we didn't/couldn't (whatever).
I'll bet after another year like last year, the Saints'll let you have him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2008   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

nice to read but not accurate at all..

mario isnt motivated by the PB snub..(see any and all of his interviews on the matter). the same way he isnt motivated by reggie/vince etc. he always maintains his motivation comes from within himself trying to play up to what he, his teammates and the coaches expect of him. plus hes a worker. worker + talent = success

bucky obviously heard he looked great in mini-camp and assumed it was because of the snub, whereas we all know hes been that way for months (as kubiak has stated)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #9
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't think he is even a little motivated at the Pro Bowl snub?
Old 05-15-2008   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
nice to read but not accurate at all..

mario isnt motivated by the PB snub..(see any and all of his interviews on the matter). the same way he isnt motivated by reggie/vince etc. he always maintains his motivation comes from within himself trying to play up to what he, his teammates and the coaches expect of him. plus hes a worker. worker + talent = success

bucky obviously heard he looked great in mini-camp and assumed it was because of the snub, whereas we all know hes been that way for months (as kubiak has stated)
Or known to Sports Illustrated as the Texans official...lame. Why don't they just write that it was Kubiak?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I am excited about the dlines potential, I hope someone steps up on the opposite side of Mario.
Call me a homer if you will (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I think DE opposite MW will be just fine this year. A healthy Weaver, Kalu, Chaud Thompson and my favorite for the position Earl Cochran wont be as big a weakness as many here believe.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #12
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Or known to Sports Illustrated as the Texans official...lame. Why don't they just write that it was Kubiak?
That's what I was wondering. Kubiak said all of that.
Old 05-16-2008   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario's my favorite Texan by far, mainly because of how he pushed through all the negativity surrounding his selection, and has never once said "I told you so" or been a jerk about it. I think that's a measure of how mature he has become, and I love that IF he does use the PB snub and the selection controversy as motivation - he keeps it burning quietly inside, but takes it out on the poor saps who play him on game day.

That guy has a fire that a lot of people didn't think he had. I can't wait to see him tear it up this year.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
You don't think he is even a little motivated at the Pro Bowl snub?
Given his hula dance after one of his Denver game sacks, I'd say yes, he is partly motivated by the snub.
Old 05-16-2008   #15
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Given his hula dance after one of his Denver game sacks, I'd say yes, he is partly motivated by the snub.
If Mario is motivated because he's a worker, that's super. But if he's extra motivated by the PB snub and he's just a wee bit nastier this season...GREAT! I don't think a little bit of extra motivation hurts at all. I think Mario just doesn't jaw jack about that kind of stuff, which makes him all the more appealing as a team leader. Get out there and get the job done.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The story surrounding Mario/Reggie/Vince is rapidly becoming a nice chunk of sports folklore for the ages in which the once lowly Texans made the right call in the face of all public ridicule and fan outcry. As a longtime Houston sports fan, I, for one, am extremely satisfied with that.
That's so true. Maybe the media won't be so quick to speak in definites about things they don't know as much about?... naw, that'll never happen.

What's crazy is that ESPN ranked the pick of Mario as one of the Top 10 draft blunders of all time. Don't remember when, but I think it was after the '06 season. I understand how 'unpopular' the pick was, but to be towards the top of an 'all time' list seems very very premature.

They really really look like complete idiots now. I wish I was good at putting video clips together, because I definitely think someone needs to add on youtube a video of TONS of material from Kiper, ESPN, other analysts, etc that were so vocal about how horrible this pick was. They need to bear some responsibility.. cuz Mario is being talked about as one of the BEST DE's in the entire league after only two years of play as opposed to being one of the best RB's ever in NFL history before he played a down...and subsequently looks very mediocre (not bad... but normal).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #17
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I frankly don't care what is motivating Mario, be it the snub, his his pride, or the voices in his head that tell him opposing QBs are evil and must be destroyed. If he enters the season hungry, I'm happy.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think this is the defining article of the '06 draft (its the one i always remember anyway).. i looked for the thread on it but i couldnt find it, bill simmons writes in a controversial style on purpose and hasnt been afraid to give the texans props for the decision in the meantime (or admit his other mistakes- frequently calling himself an id1ot)..

but fatass is a supposed 'respected' writer. respected writers dont write emotional/reactive pieces before anybody knows the outcome. has he even apologised for that crap like others have?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...len&id=2426087

Quote:
Snubbing Bush a Texans-size blunder
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, your Houston Texans, an outfit that might do better were Mr. Magoo executing its lottery selections. Hand out the darts, folks, and take cover
Quote:
Some teams try to exercise foresight with such threshold football decisions. Houston, on the other hand, apparently makes them blindfolded.
Quote:
Maybe the Texans, who haven't had many answers for anything else in their first four seasons, actually have one for that query.

Yeah, right.

When you are as a team as bad as the Texans have been, you need to make solid football decisions, and eschewing a playmaker such as Bush, who will have an immediate impact on the league, in favor of a guy still in his gestation period is a dubious call at best.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought when he did the hula in Denver he was still trying to make the Pro Bowl team. I think Mario gets motivation from everything he can, but doesn't run his mouth about it. If Mario does turn into the player and person he's supposed to be--and all indications are that he will--he will surely be worthy of respect.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I thought when he did the hula in Denver he was still trying to make the Pro Bowl team. I think Mario gets motivation from everything he can, but doesn't run his mouth about it. If Mario does turn into the player and person he's supposed to be--and all indications are that he will--he will surely be worthy of respect.
They hadn't announced who was going but the voting was closed at the time from what I remember. I could be wrong but I think that's how it went.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read