Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2008   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Salary Cap

Does anyone know where the Texans stand relative to their salary cap?

I am excited about the progress the front office has made in the off season through the draft and by signing free agents. The one area that continues to stand out is DE opposite Mario. So I am wondering, how much salary cap space do the Texans have to pursue a good DE before training camp starts?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salary Cap

Keith does a very good job as a fan attempting to piece things together--Link
Old 05-14-2008   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

so is 295k the vet minimun ?

If they cut Weaver....they're down to 7 Million. Weaver isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-14-2008   #4
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who we are looking at that is worth worrying over the salary cap will require us to tradce draft picks for and I don 't see that happening. If we find another defensive end out there it will be because he was cut from another team and probably will not require much to sign him.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #5
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

If they cut Weaver....they're down to 7 Million. Weaver isn't going anywhere.
The vet minimum is different for every player, depending on how many years they have in the league.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Minimum salary varies by years in the league. Last year it started at $285k and went up to $820k. Players with over 10 years in the league can be signed for the minimum and an under $50k bonus and count half on the cap.
Old 05-14-2008   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Keith does a very good job as a fan attempting to piece things together--Link
Thanks for the information.

So it looks like the Texans are about $10 million under the cap, and they still have a few players to re-sign, including Fred Weary, Jason Simmons, and perhaps Steve McKinney. Also, I am not clear if this cap estimate has to cover the signing of rookies, or if an additional amount will be added to the cap estimate later for their signing. If there is an additional amount allowed for the signing of rookies, then the Texans should have a nice chunk of cap room available for a few additional free agent signings, should they find any that are suitable.
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2008   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post

So it looks like the Texans are about $10 million under the cap, and they still have a few players to re-sign, including Fred Weary, Jason Simmons, and perhaps Steve McKinney. Also, I am not clear if this cap estimate has to cover the signing of rookies, or if an additional amount will be added to the cap estimate later for their signing. If there is an additional amount allowed for the signing of rookies, then the Texans should have a nice chunk of cap room available for a few additional free agent signings, should they find any that are suitable.
The rookie money comes out of the cap. Houston has a rookie salary pool of $3,477,820. The only FA's that may be signed at this point will be league minimum type guys. Weary is already re-signed.
Old 05-14-2008   #9
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The rookie money comes out of the cap. Houston has a rookie salary pool of $3,477,820. The only FA's that may be signed at this point will be league minimum type guys. Weary is already re-signed.
Well, I guess that leaves the Texans with that much less to sign a DE, if they can find one.
Old 05-14-2008   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

I don't think the Texans are near as worried about DE as their fans are--they seem satisfied with a combo of Weaver, Kalu and Cochran. Everyone would like Freeney opposite Mario, but it isn't happening this off-season.
Old 05-14-2008   #11
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post

I read somewhere that Fred Weary has already been signed on 4/29.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think the Texans are near as worried about DE as their fans are--they seem satisfied with a combo of Weaver, Kalu and Cochran. Everyone would like Freeney opposite Mario, but it isn't happening this off-season.
also they have mentioned in early reports that chaun thompson will be asked to rush the passer as well.

the thing on weaver that i've heard is that kubiak felt like he basically played hurt last season. i know he had off season surgery before the season last year but i guess he came back too soon or something. anyway, Kubiak feels he's fully recovered finally and he expects him to have a good year.

that being said. it doesn't really make him a better pass rusher. i dont think anyway. has he ever been considered that type of DE? or has he always been better against the run?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

also, i don't know if i would call them "satisfied". Smith said after the draft that they wanted to get a DE in the draft but that they "weren't able to do that". I think more than satisfied they are smart and willing to work with what they have to make it successful.

unrelated.. does anyone expect McKinney to come back for camp to compete?
Old 05-14-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
also they have mentioned in early reports that chaun thompson will be asked to rush the passer as well.

the thing on weaver that i've heard is that kubiak felt like he basically played hurt last season. i know he had off season surgery before the season last year but i guess he came back too soon or something. anyway, Kubiak feels he's fully recovered finally and he expects him to have a good year.
IMO, I don't think Weaver had enough time to really work on his craft or his lifting last off-season. He was in the training room more often than not. That said, there's no doubt he's been anything but a disappointment in his tenure with the organization. Supposedly he's trimmed up a bit and looking good, but only time will tell how a full off-season will translate to the field.

Quote:
unrelated.. does anyone expect McKinney to come back for camp to compete?
McKinney might be re-signed, but I highly doubt he'll compete for the starting position. He'll be a backup C and G.
Old 05-14-2008   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

do you think there is even room for him as a backup G/C?
Old 05-14-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
do you think there is even room for him as a backup G/C?
Honestly, no I don't. But I understand how much Kubiak likes versatile players, so who knows? If he's re-signed it'll be for vet minimum with a high risk of being cut anyways.

I've met Steve a few times and he's an awesome guy. I just think it's time for the youngins to step it up.
Old 05-14-2008   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

thats kind of my thinking too. it's not that he's not valuable, it's that there are younger guys who are also valuable. Chris White for example. G/C not sure how he'll fit into the ZBS. I've heard people say Elsinger is G/C as well and better suited for Gibbs' scheme. Spencer (if healthy) G/T. Some are saying Winston in the ZBS is G/T Meyers is G/C those guys are athletes first it seems, position players second.

as much as i love Steve, i've never thought of him as much as an athlete as a football player... if that makes any sense.
Old 05-14-2008   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
thats kind of my thinking too. it's not that he's not valuable, it's that there are younger guys who are also valuable. Chris White for example. G/C not sure how he'll fit into the ZBS. I've heard people say Elsinger is G/C as well and better suited for Gibbs' scheme. Spencer (if healthy) G/T. Some are saying Winston in the ZBS is G/T Meyers is G/C those guys are athletes first it seems, position players second.

as much as i love Steve, i've never thought of him as much as an athlete as a football player... if that makes any sense.
With Weary, Studdard, White, Salaam, Butler, Frye all on the bubble, I don't see us bringing McKinney back.

And you're right, at this point in his career, he lacks the athleticism to be anything more than servicable, in my opinion.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

i still love him though. the first texan.

edit: to me anyway. he had the pride that alot of the players have now.
Old 05-14-2008   #20
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver needs to restructure that salary.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read