Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

Insideop

All Pro
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been reading the threads the past few weeks and just wanted to get some opinions on who you think will make it on Gibbs O-Line. After checking the roster, I found we have a total of 18 linemen, including Pittman, the Long Snapper, but excluding the TE's. A breakdown of the positions shows we have 7 Tackles, 6 Guards, 4 Centers and the LS. This doesn't take into account players who can play multiple positions which is a plus, and will probably go into the decision making by Kubes/Gibbs when it gets down to making cuts.

Here are the players listed by their primary position:

Tackles
* Jordan Black 6'5" 310
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Rashad Butler 6'4" 293
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300
* Charles Spencer 6'4" 352
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Scott Jackson 6'4" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Dan Stevenson 6'5" 300
* Kasey Studdard 6'2" 302
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300
* Chukky Okobi 6'1" 305
* Chris White 6'2" 285

The Texans carried 10 O-Linemen last year, counting Pittman, the LS. Assuming they carry 10 again this year, including Pittman, which of the remaining players do you think will make the team and who will be put on the Practice Squad (I'm not sure but I think only Frye and Studdard are PS eligible) if any? :user:

As of now this is the way I see it:
RT Winston, Salaam
RG Brisiel, Weary(if 100% recovered)
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer
LT Salaam (until Brown is ready)

PS Frye, Studdard
PUP/IR White

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
This is how I would like it (tought call though):

RT Winston, Butler
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer

PS Frye, Studdard
LS Pittman

I like Brown, Salaam, Winston and Butler as our 4 tackles.
I'd like to see Pitts, Weary, Brisiel, and Spencer as our guards.
At Center i see Myers being a C/G, and i'm not familiar with the other C's.

I think Frye is a guy that needs to make the team and he'll be a Guard. If we can Keep him on the PS, that's the way to go. I don't see Studdard making the 53 man roster but I still want him on this team. Pittman will make the team as well. And I'm running out of room on the roster!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Brown Salaam
Pitts Frye
Myers Eslinger
Spencer Briesel
Winston Butler

Studdard, is he P.S. eligible
C. White PUP

Who knows... I think Salaam may get cut if they're confident in spencer's health. I've got Weary and Studdard not making the squad- those are a couple tough cuts. Also, I've got 10 on the roster when it's unlikely we carry more than 9.

I don't know... this is going to be a tough camp!

P

Polo

I hope Pittman doesn't make the team...

Since Kubiak has been here he's said that he wants guys to be able to play dual roles...

I just think that if we can find one more roster player besides Dreesen who can long snap he's outta here...

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
We carried 10 guys on the OL last year, so assuming we keep that the same, I'm guessing we will have:

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
With the unknowns as of right now as far as injuries are concerned it is impossible to answer.

Chris White, Fred Weary and Charles Spencer all could be on pup to start the season. Kubiak has already mentioned Spencer for Guard not tackle so I doubt they will even look at him there.

I thought White if healthy would be great as a swing Center Guard from what my blind eyes (meaning I have no eye for talent eval) could tell last year. I do think more of the younger guys will be making the roster.

keyser

Veteran
I think the following 7 are highly likely to make the team:
Brown (obviously)
Winston (obviously)
Salaam (reliable, even if only as a backup)
Brisiel (good performance last year)
Pitts (long-term contributor with no one clearly better)
Myers (he's basically one of this year's draft picks, chosen for this role, probably with heavy input by Gibbs et al.)
Spencer (assuming he's recovered, even if not at the level he was before - showed too much potential, and might not clear waivers)

If they keep a LS, that probably leaves only a couple of open positions. They'll need someone else as a Center, and I think that will depend on White's recovery (I don't know his status). If he has recovered, I expect him to have the spot, and if not, Eslinger. For the last spot, I think Fred Weary will have first shot, if he has really recovered, and if not, I expect them to go for someone with flexibility to play several positions, probably Brandon Frye. I would expect Studdard to go to the PS.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We carried 10 guys on the OL last year, so assuming we keep that the same, I'm guessing we will have:

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer
THis looks reasonable to me. Although I'm not sure about Eslinger vs. White. I ain't sayin' its wrong, I just haven't seen enough of either of them to make a call.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Remember that our LS is actually a TE so that may come into the mix come time for roster cuts.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer
looks reasonable to me except I don't know where this dude Eslinger comes from so, i'll have to assume he's 1 of the odd men out. I think Weary will be kept around just b/c he's versatile (guard & center) & i think Studdard will push someone for one of the guard spots.

IMO:

Tackles
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300

I don't know who's eligiable for PS or anything so I won't get into that, but these are the guys I think will be on our opening roster.

Really tough choices there.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Did anyone see or hear of where Brandon Frye lined up during mini camp? I had heard somewhere prior to this camp (radio?) that he would see time at Guard.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
OT's

lock & load - Duane Brown, Ephraim Salaam, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer
roster battle - Jordan Black vs. Rashad Butler

OG's

lock & load - Mike Brisiel, Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Brandon Frye
roster battle - Kasey Studdard vs. Dan Stevenson vs. Scott Jackson

OC's

lock & load - Greg Eslinger, Chris Myers
roster battle - Chukky Okobi vs. Chris White

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Did anyone see or hear of where Brandon Frye lined up during mini camp? I had heard somewhere prior to this camp (radio?) that he would see time at Guard.
I heard a comment that Kubiak made sometime that they actually drafted Frye with the intention of moving him to guard and never really considered him as a tackle. It was a surprise to me since I had never heard that. Not sure where he's lining up at mini camp but my money is he's in as guard and not a tackle.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I know Kubes has Spencer penciled in at RG but I can not believe that if he is healthy, Kubes would not give him a chance @ LT. Spencer beat all comp two years ago including the guy who started in his place for 2 seasons and he doesn't even get a chance at LT? If Brown is the guy & CS is at RG, ok, but I'd want to see CS at LT a few plays. No coach is talking about moving Dunta to nickle CB and he is worse physically than CS.
Anyone have any clue how Jordan Black would do in ZBS? I have been against him since he signed but he might do better under Gibbs.
I could see Weary on IR at beginning of season to keep another player on roster for longer eval and to work Fred in. Why make a cut until you have to?

PapaL

Loose Screw
Which is pretty irrelevant since he will never touch the field as a TE.
Well until LS becomes an official position it is relevant. He'll be on the roster as either a TE or C.

Add to that Spencer has been playing G and that makes the way the roster is laid out different. It's way too early to try and guess whats going happen.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
This is how I would like it (tought call though):

RT Winston, Butler
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer

PS Frye, Studdard
LS Pittman

I like Brown, Salaam, Winston and Butler as our 4 tackles.
I'd like to see Pitts, Weary, Brisiel, and Spencer as our guards.
At Center i see Myers being a C/G, and i'm not familiar with the other C's.

I think Frye is a guy that needs to make the team and he'll be a Guard. If we can Keep him on the PS, that's the way to go. I don't see Studdard making the 53 man roster but I still want him on this team. Pittman will make the team as well. And I'm running out of room on the roster!
This is pretty much How I'd call it too Ole Miss. Brisiel looked good last year and Myers and Eslinger could end up in a pretty good battle for center.

I think there are some real variables here in the form of the health of Spencer and Weary. If and its a big if he's cleared and is ready to go by TC both guard spots aren't safe. I think he'll have to make it as a guard to and won't see reps at Tackle. Weary is in a tough place coming of an injury and only signed to a one year deal. I like the guy but I can't help but wonder if he's now a stop gap guy instead of a long term player on the team.

I'd love to see Studdard's tenacity make the team but I think he's got one year or so left for PS eligibility.

On a side note is anyone else seeing a David Anderson vs Grice-Mullins battle for the 5th WR spot?

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
On a side note is anyone else seeing a David Anderson vs Grice-Mullins battle for the 5th WR spot?
That's the problem I keep coming to. There's just so many player I think should make this team and a limited number of spots. First and foremost I look at the OL and RB positions- I could easily fill 15 spots between the two of them. Throw in the necessary QB, TE, FB and I run out of room for these Wide outs. I would like to see 5 because 4 just doesn't seem like enough.

Back to your question- I definitely see that happening. I think Darnell Jenkins (the other rookie fa) just sounds like he'd be a good football player. Havn't seen much of either though, so I think it'd be Anderson's job to lose.

For those that have, how similar type of player is Anderson compared to Grice-Mullins and Jenkins?? And what would we be looking for out of our 5th wide out? I see Johnson, Walter, and even Jacoby so to speak as good possession receivers- Davis a speedster HR threat. And I see Slaton being used in the slot some... I suspect we'd be looking for another 'smaller' faster type of WR?

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
That's the problem I keep coming to. There's just so many player I think should make this team and a limited number of spots. First and foremost I look at the OL and RB positions- I could easily fill 15 spots between the two of them. Throw in the necessary QB, TE, FB and I run out of room for these Wide outs. I would like to see 5 because 4 just doesn't seem like enough.
Back to your question- I definitely see that happening. I think Darnell Jenkins (the other rookie fa) just sounds like he'd be a good football player. Havn't seen much of either though, so I think it'd be Anderson's job to lose.

For those that have, how similar type of player is Anderson compared to Grice-Mullins and Jenkins?? And what would we be looking for out of our 5th wide out? I see Johnson, Walter, and even Jacoby so to speak as good possession receivers- Davis a speedster HR threat. And I see Slaton being used in the slot some... I suspect we'd be looking for another 'smaller' faster type of WR?

That's an excellent problem to have too. In years past that was never a problem. As Kubiak began saying before last season, it's becoming more and more difficult to make the Texans squad.

:fans:

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
AJ is far more than a "possession receiver."
Exactly. He has grown into one of the most complete WRs in the NFL. He is a deep threat that will go over the middle and pick up the tough yards. Not to mention he's a good blocker. If only he could stay healthy this entire season. With Schaub at QB, 100/1250/10 is not out of the question at all. People keep saying "we need playmakers!!!!!!!!11111!" but everyone overlooks that we have a top 5 WR who can not be neutralized.

I know Kubes has Spencer penciled in at RG but I can not believe that if he is healthy, Kubes would not give him a chance @ LT. Spencer beat all comp two years ago including the guy who started in his place for 2 seasons and he doesn't even get a chance at LT? If Brown is the guy & CS is at RG, ok, but I'd want to see CS at LT a few plays. No coach is talking about moving Dunta to nickle CB and he is worse physically than CS.
Anyone have any clue how Jordan Black would do in ZBS? I have been against him since he signed but he might do better under Gibbs.
I could see Weary on IR at beginning of season to keep another player on roster for longer eval and to work Fred in. Why make a cut until you have to?
If Weary goes on IR he cant play. If they did that it would have been a waste of money. I could definantly see him on the PUP list at the begining of the season though for the purpose that you stated above.

And I also want to see if Spencer can play LT still. If he can do it then we have or starter and his back up for the next 10 years. :cool:

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
If Weary goes on IR he cant play. If they did that it would have been a waste of money. I could definantly see him on the PUP list at the begining of the season though for the purpose that you stated above.

And I also want to see if Spencer can play LT still. If he can do it then we have or starter and his back up for the next 10 years. :cool:
He probably ment pup

nunusguy

Hall of Fame

I dunno, but don't think they've got that much invested in Fred ? Actually the only OLineman who is a big investment at this time is Brown. Maybe Chester still has a fair chunk of unamortized cap on the books ?
I'm not hopeful about Spencer. Reports are is that he is still walking with a limp. Frankly, his chances just don't sound very good.

Spike

Waterboy
This is pretty much How I'd call it too Ole Miss. Brisiel looked good last year and Myers and Eslinger could end up in a pretty good battle for center.

I think there are some real variables here in the form of the health of Spencer and Weary. If and its a big if he's cleared and is ready to go by TC both guard spots aren't safe. I think he'll have to make it as a guard to and won't see reps at Tackle. Weary is in a tough place coming of an injury and only signed to a one year deal. I like the guy but I can't help but wonder if he's now a stop gap guy instead of a long term player on the team.

I'd love to see Studdard's tenacity make the team but I think he's got one year or so left for PS eligibility.

I think you are spot on regarding the variables described above. I would add versatility, in addition to health and future prospects, as an important variable for making the squad. With the exception of LT, which may flip flop, I think we are set with the first team: Salaam/ Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel and Winston - 5.

6th Spot - Either Salaam or Brown. Salaam is our insurance policy for Brown this season.
7th Spot - Butler in entrenched at the back-up RT spot.

I think those 7 spots are set, barring injury. I think that competition is fierce for the remaining three spots. My picks are below, but think that the 9th, 10th and first two runners up could easily be interchangable.

8th Spot - Eslinger. The guy is young, has experience in the ZBS system and has the body type for the system. He is also a guy that can move over to guard if necessary.
9th Spot - Studdard. Just a hunch. The knock on him last year was that he may be a little small, which may work to his advantage in the current system. He has a mean streak that the coaches like. He was ahead of Frye last year and I don't see why that changes.
10th Spot - Spencer. If he is back healthy, he has the updside, versatility and tenacity to take a chance on. Everyone sees him projected as a guard, but if he can get a full season under his belt, I think he would have the ability to move to tackle. I think we know sooner than later on Spencer.
First Runner Up - White. I was rootnig for White last season and was disappointed when he got hurt. He is a guy that has put his time in and has experiance and can play both guard and center. All things equal, if we think if we can keep Studdard on the PS without risk of losing him, maybe he takes that spot.
Second Runner Up - Weary. It is hard to complain too much about his production, but I think this team is looking forward. He is coming off injury and has a one year deal. All things equal, I think one of the younger guys takes his spot.
Third Runner Up - Frye. The potential may be there, but I think you can keep this guy on the PS one more year.

One thing is for sure, you have to believe that the final 10 will be a strong group. The competition should bring out the best in this unit.

He probably ment pup
He probably did. But he still didnt say it so I was just covering the angle.

I dunno, but don't think they've got that much invested in Fred ? Actually the only OLineman who is a big investment at this time is Brown. Maybe Chester still has a fair chunk of unamortized cap on the books ?
I'm not hopeful about Spencer. Reports are is that he is still walking with a limp. Frankly, his chances just don't sound very good.
They have just over a million with some playing time escelators in his contract. While in the grand scheme of things it's not alot, it would still be a waste of money to sign a guy to a 1 year contract to just ut him on the IR.

We really dont know what the contract for Brown is going to be but the 26th overall pick wont make that much. He probably wont make more than 1.5 mil this year. Which incidentally is a little less than the max that Fred Weary could make this year.

I am not really hopeful about Spencer either but it is still worth him getting the chance to prove himself. The only thing that you give up at this point by giving Spencer a little playing time is reps for Brown. And you dont really have to give Spencer that many reps to see what he can do. And if you run him on the 2nd squad instead of the 1st then Brown doesnt lose any reps.

PHAROAH

Rookie
Here is my Lineup at the season opener.

Starters:

RT* Eric Winston 6'7" 310
RG* Charles Spencer 6'5" 350
C* Chris Myers 6'4" 300
LG* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
LT* Duane Brown 6'4" 308

Backups

RT* Rashad Butler 6'4" 298
RG* Fred Weary 6'4" 308
C* Greg Eslinger 6'4" 295
LG* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
LT* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300

Go Texans!!!!

If the coaches see enough out of Brown to man the LT spot and Spencer is healthy enough to play I thin k the Oline will look like this:
Brown Pitts Myers Spencer Winston
That has the potential to be a very good Oline. I still think we need to keep Salaam because he is a very capable Tackle. Let Spencer gain some experience and prove that he is healthy. If he does, then Spencer becomes very valuable because hge can now be a swing Tackle while being a starting guard. I say this because it is easier to plug someone in as guard if Spencer has to slide over to tackle. It's a very good problem to have, one that we have never had before.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Think I got the two confused. Is it PUP that allows player to come back after 5 games or so?

Goldensilence

hipster elite

I agree on thinking we'll see 5 WR. I have heard Grice-Mullins is fast and great hands. Can't recall perfectly as I really didn't get to see a lot of the Texans games last year because of work and school as the season wore on. I rememeber David Anderson having good hands but not enough speed. You'll have to help me on this one.

I think with Davis coming on last year like he did this WR corps is deep and complete across the board. Not too bad considering some people last preseason thought we were throwing anything on the wall and hoping it'd stick at WR. I think LB this year has the possibility to make the same jump.

I think you are spot on regarding the variables described above. I would add versatility, in addition to health and future prospects, as an important variable for making the squad. With the exception of LT, which may flip flop, I think we are set with the first team: Salaam/ Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel and Winston - 5.

6th Spot - Either Salaam or Brown. Salaam is our insurance policy for Brown this season.
7th Spot - Butler in entrenched at the back-up RT spot.

I think those 7 spots are set, barring injury. I think that competition is fierce for the remaining three spots. My picks are below, but think that the 9th, 10th and first two runners up could easily be interchangable.

8th Spot - Eslinger. The guy is young, has experience in the ZBS system and has the body type for the system. He is also a guy that can move over to guard if necessary.
9th Spot - Studdard. Just a hunch. The knock on him last year was that he may be a little small, which may work to his advantage in the current system. He has a mean streak that the coaches like. He was ahead of Frye last year and I don't see why that changes.
10th Spot - Spencer. If he is back healthy, he has the updside, versatility and tenacity to take a chance on. Everyone sees him projected as a guard, but if he can get a full season under his belt, I think he would have the ability to move to tackle. I think we know sooner than later on Spencer.
First Runner Up - White. I was rootnig for White last season and was disappointed when he got hurt. He is a guy that has put his time in and has experiance and can play both guard and center. All things equal, if we think if we can keep Studdard on the PS without risk of losing him, maybe he takes that spot.
Second Runner Up - Weary. It is hard to complain too much about his production, but I think this team is looking forward. He is coming off injury and has a one year deal. All things equal, I think one of the younger guys takes his spot.
Third Runner Up - Frye. The potential may be there, but I think you can keep this guy on the PS one more year.

One thing is for sure, you have to believe that the final 10 will be a strong group. The competition should bring out the best in this unit.
Agree on the strong unit no matter who starts with the way the TC battles are setting up. I thought I saw some video on Spencer on HT.com coming out of his stance. He looked good for a guy trying to get back into playing shape. I know people are talking about the limp but as his weight gets back down and he starts to fully trust the leg again I think we'll see a difference.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Concerning Spencer. On yesterday morning 610 radio program I caught Mark and Andre both casting doubts on Charles looking like he will make it back. Not sure exactly if they meant as LT or at RG or at all.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
Think I got the two confused. Is it PUP that allows player to come back after 5 games or so?
It's 6 games. After 6 games, the team has the option to activate him at any point between the 6th game and the 10th week of the season. If he is not activated by week 10, he must be placed on IR, ending his season.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
It's 6 games. After 6 games, the team has the option to activate him at any point between the 6th game and the 10th week of the season. If he is not activated by week 10, he must be placed on IR, ending his season.
To expound--players on PUP cannot practice with the team. Between weeks 6 and 10 a team can have a player practice with the team for two weeks and then must either IR him or put him on the active roster. So start practicing week 6, a decision must be made week 8. Start practicing week 8, a decision must be made week 10.

barrett

All Pro
Brown Salaam
Pitts Frye
Myers Eslinger
Spencer Briesel
Winston Butler

Studdard, is he P.S. eligible
C. White PUP

Who knows... I think Salaam may get cut if they're confident in spencer's health. I've got Weary and Studdard not making the squad- those are a couple tough cuts. Also, I've got 10 on the roster when it's unlikely we carry more than 9.

I don't know... this is going to be a tough camp!
i agree with the possibility of Salaam getting cut. It's hard to swallow how cut throat NFL organizations can be but it's the nature of the game. Look at McKinney. As soon as you are expendable you are gone. It's the nature of the game.

It's a big if but IF Spencer comes back strong as a guard and they are confident in his health and mental state after two years of no football then It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest to keep him on as a guard who is capable of playing LT with Butler staying on as the official "swing tackle" but at that point you've got several guys on the line that can play multiple positions which is exactly what you need to be successful when you have a limited number of roster spots. Having a guy like Spencer IF he's healthy is extremely valuable and frees up a roster spot. (see the decision to keep less WR's last year because of Jacoby Jones' apparent ability to be productive on special teams as well as some natural ability to compete at a high level at WR strait out of college. or two years ago we kept one less guard because McKinney could play both guard and center)

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
AJ is far more than a "possession receiver."
Thanks for critiqueing such an integral part of the post... ;)

I guess I really gotta be careful how to phrase things- trying not to be long winded and trying not to completely derail this thread from OL to WR.

I was really intending to talk more about their size:
A. Johnson 6'3 219lbs
K. Walter 6'3 214lbs
J. Jones 6'2 210lbs

So I don't see us needing another 'big man' wide receiver.

Andre Davis 6'1 195lbs

Battle for the 5th spot- Small 'slot' type of wr or deep threat?
David Anderson 5'10 194lbs
Ryan Grice Mullins 5'10 187 lbs
Darnell Jenkins 5'10 188lbs

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't see them making any changes at LS. Pittman has been excellent and so has K. Brown and Turk. Why mess with the chemistry when Special Teams was such a strength the last couple of years? As for the rest of the O-line, may the best men win. I'm glad we can start cutting decent players because they aren't good enough for our team. It shows we're actually making FORWARD progress.:fans:

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Here's what I think you'd get from Kubiak in a very candid moment:

If everything works out perfectly this off-season: Spencer is totally healthy, Brown is ready to start, etc... This is what his ideal OL would be:

LT: brown
LG: pitts
C: myers
RG: Winston
Rt: Spencer

Winston is going to have more quickness to get to the second level and cross the MLB on the stretch play. Spencer has the brute strength, punch, and arm length ideal for RT. I don't think this is a likely scenario, but if we see it, I think this could be a great OL!

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I would not move Winston to guard. He is becoming an excellent RT.
Which is kinda a surprise since he's always been considered a finess sort of OLineman who seems more of a fit at LT where he played in college, notwithstand reservations some have about his arm length.

TK_Gamer

Veteran
what worries me about Spencer being at RT is the scheme. In zone blocking, you basicly have a sideways moving frieght train clearing a lane for the running back. Depending on wich way the run goes, either the LT is the engine and the RT is the caboose, or vice versa. The 2 tackles have to be the most athletic because they will need to do alot of the backside cutblocks. if the run goes right the LT will have backside close-off, a run left it will be the RT. My point is the tackles need to be the most consitent linemen we have, and I think we need to let them perfect the system with 100% healthy and mobile guys or the lineman around the gimp guy will have to take up the slack constantly or we will have alot of busted run plays.

If Spencer can regain his form, I think he could be an awesome guard because of his size combined with his athleticism. He is a huge cog in the middle of the Oline that can help the center with the bigger DT while also being quick enough to pulle and get to the next level. Again, assuming he makes it back to his old form. We have a chance of having a good Oline.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
IMO:

Tackles
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300

I don't know who's eligiable for PS or anything so I won't get into that, but these are the guys I think will be on our opening roster.

Really tough choices there.

They aren't keeping ten. unless they can squirel someone away on the IR out of camp. They won't gamble with Pittman. and....they should keep an extra DT this season. The theme this season is getting younger, quicker. I posted earlier...Weary and Pitts are on thier way out.

Salaam didn't start breaking down untill he had piled alot of games on his legs...he isn't going anywhere. He'll be slotted where he was supposed to be in the first place. Back up swing Tackel.

They aren't keeping ten. unless they can squirel someone away on the IR out of camp. They won't gamble with Pittman. and....they should keep an extra DT this season. The theme this season is getting younger, quicker. I posted earlier...Weary and Pitts are on thier way out.

Salaam didn't start breaking down untill he had piled alot of games on his legs...he isn't going anywhere. He'll be slotted where he was supposed to be in the first place. Back up swing Tackel.
While I agree that Weary could be out, it's for the reason that he may not come back from injury, not age. There is no way Pitts is going anywhere. He is our best and most consisant player on our line. What exactly is it that you have against Pitts? 30 is not even close to old for a lineman. The only old lineman we have is Salaam.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Here's what I think you'd get from Kubiak in a very candid moment:

If everything works out perfectly this off-season: Spencer is totally healthy, Brown is ready to start, etc... This is what his ideal OL would be:

LT: brown
LG: pitts
C: myers
RG: Winston
Rt: Spencer

Winston is going to have more quickness to get to the second level and cross the MLB on the stretch play. Spencer has the brute strength, punch, and arm length ideal for RT. I don't think this is a likely scenario, but if we see it, I think this could be a great OL!

Can you have a 6'7" LG. why not ? He is the most athletic o-lineman they've got. Pitts and Spencer have the best shot at making the switch to RT.
Only negtive I can think of is passing lanes.

I think if they are going to bow their necks with Brown it make sense to move Winston into the LG spot. I posted befor, you don't put your most athletic lineman into a phone booth.

Pitts has become more of a pile driver than ZBS LG.
That belongs on the right side. He has trouble on the second level executing blocks. The only one who doesn't is Winston. I put that at LG.
We'll see if Gibbs agrees.