Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2008   #81
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

Got this from Cron blogs

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...uries_run.html

Hey TH,

You responded to a comment about Spencer moving to Guard "It's not looking good for Spencer according to Kubiak."

Can you elaborate in a future posting. I'm curious to find out if this is due to the injury or the switch in position. Also is it so bad that we may cut him, or would he probably just move to 2nd string.

Obviously you may have not gotten that much from Kubes.

I've been painstakingly waiting to hear anything about Spencer for the last two years. I thought for a while that he was rehabing at Area 51.

Thanks,
Big Lou

BL,

The next time we see Charles Spencer, he may be at Area 51 having the Govt. doing some type of alien autopsy on that morbid obese body he has become. I kind of feel sorry for the guy, but he should have stayed in better shape, unless he's dealing with mental or physical problems. -TH

From what I am hearing in the organization, Spencer's weight is up to 350+ pounds now and he has lost a great deal of maneuverability and speed. Kubiak has no choice but to move him to guard in that kind of shape and condition. The guy is huge, but not in a good football way, if you know what I am implying? Please let me know if this helps and makes Spencer's puzzle a little more clear. Take care. -TH

Dont know how accurate this is. The guy answered the same question twice. Wierd! But anyway, has anyone seem him lately? Is this true? If so it just makes me hate the chron even more after all those feel good articles about Spencers earlier in the year.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #82
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Got this from Cron blogs

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...uries_run.html

Hey TH,

You responded to a comment about Spencer moving to Guard "It's not looking good for Spencer according to Kubiak."

Can you elaborate in a future posting. I'm curious to find out if this is due to the injury or the switch in position. Also is it so bad that we may cut him, or would he probably just move to 2nd string.

Obviously you may have not gotten that much from Kubes.

I've been painstakingly waiting to hear anything about Spencer for the last two years. I thought for a while that he was rehabing at Area 51.

Thanks,
Big Lou

BL,

The next time we see Charles Spencer, he may be at Area 51 having the Govt. doing some type of alien autopsy on that morbid obese body he has become. I kind of feel sorry for the guy, but he should have stayed in better shape, unless he's dealing with mental or physical problems. -TH

From what I am hearing in the organization, Spencer's weight is up to 350+ pounds now and he has lost a great deal of maneuverability and speed. Kubiak has no choice but to move him to guard in that kind of shape and condition. The guy is huge, but not in a good football way, if you know what I am implying? Please let me know if this helps and makes Spencer's puzzle a little more clear. Take care. -TH

Dont know how accurate this is. The guy answered the same question twice. Wierd! But anyway, has anyone seem him lately? Is this true? If so it just makes me hate the chron even more after all those feel good articles about Spencers earlier in the year.
I quit reading this guy's blog. There have been several times he's said something that he couldn't back up with proof. Additionally, he agrees with practically everyone's posts. Back when TC ran the blog there were links to practically every statement she produced. She'd also let her own opinion be known rather than being a yes man/woman.

You see TC, you're missed dearly from peeps you don't even know.
Old 05-15-2008   #83
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
First, Spencer would have to be waived and clear waivers after the 53 man roster was set. Spencer would have 2 accrued seasons, since he spent 14 weeks on IR in '06 and the entire '07 season on IR. But, he was only on the Active List for 2 games in his career, which is fewer than the 9 game limit. So my guess is that Spencer would be eligible for the practice squad.
Agreed.

Bennie was practice squad eligible when the Texans cut him. The Texans wanted to move him onto the practice squad, but he went to the Bears PS instead.

If Bennie could, no doubt Spencer could. Theoretically.
Old 05-18-2008   #84
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I quit reading this guy's blog. There have been several times he's said something that he couldn't back up with proof. Additionally, he agrees with practically everyone's posts. Back when TC ran the blog there were links to practically every statement she produced. She'd also let her own opinion be known rather than being a yes man/woman.
Ok but still has anyone actually seen Spencer lately? Is he really bad out of shape?

PS I like youre sig. Not many people remember Karl Mecklenburg. Hes one of my favorite players of all time. I would watch Denver just to see him play. He was all out on every play.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #85
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Not real big news, but it does affect the O-Line. Just read from the Yahoo Sports article about Ahman Green that Chukky Okobi was put on IR. Anybody know why? I figured he was going to have trouble making this team and maybe this is a way to "shelve" him away for a season. Anyway, I guess we're down to 3 Centers now (Meyers, Eslinger, and White).

Here is the link http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nf...v=ap&type=lgns but you have to go down to the bottom to the Notes section.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #86
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

At 6-2, 303 pounds, Studdard doesn’t boast the ideal body type for the zone blocking scheme the team is installing. The scheme typically requires quick, athletic offensive linemen, but Benton says that Studdard quickly has picked up his assignments.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4350
To me that's analogous to someone saying that outside of a player not having any speed or power, he'll be a good running-back because he knows which holes in the OLine to hit on the basis of the play called.
I dunno whether to be confused or discouraged by this statement from the Texans main website ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
At 6-2, 303 pounds, Studdard doesn’t boast the ideal body type for the zone blocking scheme the team is installing. The scheme typically requires quick, athletic offensive linemen, but Benton says that Studdard quickly has picked up his assignments.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4350
To me that's analogous to someone saying that outside of a player not having any speed or power, he'll be a good running-back because he knows which holes in the OLine to hit on the basis of the play called.
I dunno whether to be confused or discouraged by this statement from the Texans main website ?
He has decent power but he's not very agile (footwork).

Like Flanagan, the guy didn't look pretty or athletic but he made a career for himself by masterring all the fundamentals and applying good techniques (like Bill Lambier in basketball.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2008   #88
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

What's bothering me right now is that Frye has been injured a lot during the OTA's. That's not good. He's going to have to get healthy and kick some butt during Training Camp or he's PS, at best.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What's bothering me right now is that Frye has been injured a lot during the OTA's. That's not good. He's going to have to get healthy and kick some butt during Training Camp or he's PS, at best.
I remember being a little iffy about Frye when we took him last year.
I thought he has a shot to make the team, but I don't know if he can become a starter in the NFL.

As I reviewed Duane Brown's play (as a JR) against Gaines Adams (SR) and Phillip Merling (JR) (Clemson 2006), I mentioned that Frye (SR) didn't look too good (as the Tigers switch DE from side to side.)

It doesn't look any easier for Brandon now. He will have a task to make opening day roster.
Old 06-03-2008   #90
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11706 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I remember being a little iffy about Frye when we took him last year.
I thought he has a shot to make the team, but I don't know if he can become a starter in the NFL.

As I reviewed Duane Brown's play (as a JR) against Gaines Adams (SR) and Phillip Merling (JR) (Clemson 2006), I mentioned that Frye (SR) didn't look too good (as the Tigers switch DE from side to side.)

It doesn't look any easier for Brandon now. He will have a task to make opening day roster.
I remember having high hopes for Frye last year and then he got hurt the 1st day at TC. It's been down hill ever since, and now he's injured again. Not good!
Old 06-03-2008   #91
da Bull
Rookie

In a thread a few weeks back I asked the VT trainer who was posting with regard to Adibi and Brown about Frye. IIRC, he stated that Frye was a great guy but was a so-so player at VT and battled to keep weight on (30 lbs.). Statistically (combine), he looks athletic like Brown but I don't think he proved to be what his stats projected him to be. However, I hope Brown doesn't follow along those same "projection" lines.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Oh well, you can't win them all, I guess!

I'm not sure about the 06 season, but in 07, Brown lined up agaisnt good competition almost every week, so I think he should be ready for the next level sooner than later.

It's about time we settle that LT position, dang it!
(Cross my fingers)
Old 07-23-2008   #93
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been reading the threads the past few weeks and just wanted to get some opinions on who you think will make it on Gibbs O-Line. After checking the roster, I found we have a total of 18 linemen, including Pittman, the Long Snapper, but excluding the TE's. A breakdown of the positions shows we have 7 Tackles, 6 Guards, 4 Centers and the LS. This doesn't take into account players who can play multiple positions which is a plus, and will probably go into the decision making by Kubes/Gibbs when it gets down to making cuts.

Here are the players listed by their primary position:

Tackles
* Jordan Black 6'5" 310 Cut
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Rashad Butler 6'4" 293
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300
* Charles Spencer 6'4" 352 Cut
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Scott Jackson 6'4" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Dan Stevenson 6'5" 300 Cut
* Kasey Studdard 6'2" 302
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300
* Chukky Okobi 6'1" 305 IR then cut
* Chris White 6'2" 285
* Mark Fenton 6'4" 295 Added after cutting Okobi

The Texans carried 10 O-Linemen last year, counting Pittman, the LS. Assuming they carry 10 again this year, including Pittman, which of the remaining players do you think will make the team and who will be put on the Practice Squad (I'm not sure but I think only Frye and Studdard are PS eligible) if any?

As of now this is the way I see it:
RT Winston, Salaam
RG Brisiel, Weary(if 100% recovered)
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer
LT Salaam (until Brown is ready)

PS Frye, Studdard
PUP/IR White
Well, just wanted to update where the team stands with the O-line before TC starts. After cutting Spencer and Stevenson yesterday, we are down to 14 O-linemen not counting Pittman. At this point, Brown still has not signed, but I expect that to happen soon.

At this time I see the line shaping up like this:
RT Winston, Salaam
RG Brisiel, Weary (if 100% recovered)
C Meyers, White or Eslinger (Not sure yet who wins backup role.)
LG Pitts, Studdard
LT Brown, Salaam (if brown is ready)

PS Frye
Old 07-23-2008   #94
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Well, just wanted to update where the team stands with the O-line before TC starts. After cutting Spencer and Stevenson yesterday, we are down to 14 O-linemen not counting Pittman. At this point, Brown still has not signed, but I expect that to happen soon.

At this time I see the line shaping up like this:
RT Winston, Salaam
RG Brisiel, Weary (if 100% recovered)
C Meyers, White or Eslinger (Not sure yet who wins backup role.)
LG Pitts, Studdard
LT Brown, Salaam (if brown is ready)

PS Frye

Butler will make the team.... likely over Salaam.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #95
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I bet that's why Salaam was peeved when he was'nt named the starter at LT .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #96
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

J/K - But I choose to not participate in any ensuing discussion!
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #97
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Letting Salaam go before Brown has proven himself makes me very nervous. Salaam and Pitts are the only LTs we've had that haven't completely sucked most of the time, and Pitts is definitely locked at LG.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #98
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Frye was made a guard last training camp and that is the position is supposed to be practicing at.

I know the official roster has him at OT, but they never changed Travis Johnson from the NT position he ran in the 3-4. I know they call the big tackle in the 4-3 a NT but they do not have Okam listed as a NT.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #99
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

J/K - But I choose to not participate in any ensuing discussion!
Agreed!
Old 07-23-2008   #100
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'll third that as well. there is an entire 4 pages devoted to this. this is going to get answered REALLY soon.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read