Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2008   #61
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
A healthy Spencer at RT and Winston at RG in a strict ZBS makes for a very strong line. That is no indictment against Winston. Again, Winston's agility and athleticism is the reason he could excel at guard in the ZBS. The guard often has to cross the face of the MLB when the play is flowing away from them. I don't know that Spencer can do that, but I think Winston could.
If, obviously big IF, Spencer can return to form he has the athleticism to do exactly that. Plus he has the size to play the Haynesworths of the league. Seriously, he has a much better chance IF healthy to dump Haynesworth on his ass than Winston does.
Old 05-14-2008   #62
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If, obviously big IF, Spencer can return to form he has the athleticism to do exactly that. Plus he has the size to play the Haynesworths of the league. Seriously, he has a much better chance IF healthy to dump Haynesworth on his ass than Winston does.
I wonder how much specific match-ups dictate who Gibbs uses? for instance do the Texans use the same 5 pretty much every down or would they use some platoon system to the Texans advanatage. in this scenero if you ask Spencer to slide inside to RG, for example & knock Haynesworth on his butt, I'm sure he would relish the assingment.

bottom line having flexability with linemen who can fill in & play multiple positions should be a strengh of Gibbs group.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #63
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I wonder how much specific match-ups dictate who Gibbs uses? for instance do the Texans use the same 5 pretty much every down or would they use some platoon system to the Texans advanatage. in this scenero if you ask Spencer to slide inside to RG, for example & knock Haynesworth on his butt, I'm sure he would relish the assingment.

bottom line having flexability with linemen who can fill in & play multiple positions should be a strengh of Gibbs group.

I would assume barring any injuries it'd be the same 5. Especially considering the ZBS is considered unstoppable when all 5 work in unison. I'd think mixing and matching would be more detrimental than benefical due to the "gel" factor.
Old 05-14-2008   #64
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
why would you change that and create an unknown at two positions?

Well, first, it's not an unknown that Spencer can play tackle- There is no reason to think he'd struggle at RT.

Second, when the two were drafted, even though all of Winston's experience was at tackle and Spencer's experience at guard, the coaching staff projected Spencer at LT and Winston as a guard. Why?.. Spencer had the big punch and are length that Winston lacked. Both men were very athletic. Of course, Winston being a former TE and 30 lbs lighter is quicker on his feet.

Third, in the ZBS, more athleticism is required at guard because of what he is asked to do. Particularly at RT, agility is de-emphasized a little because usually you are facing a bigger, slower DE and also because the scheme doesn't require, usually, to cross the face of a LB at the second level while the play is working away from you.

Fourth, this is something that would be worked out in training camp and preseason. I'm not suggesting a change simply be made on a whim in week three.

If Spencer were to be 100% healthy, do you honestly believe that Winston would be a better tackle than Spencer?

Perhaps Spencer would be the better guard in a power blocking scheme but I don't see it in a ZBS. I think Winston would be a probowl caliber guard with Gibbs.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #65
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

poor duane brown. even STILL we're all talking about BIG NASTY. i'd love to get him back and see him succeed.

why do we love this man so much?

i know i do. is it because he was the first "answer at LT finally!!!!" all i can remember is the sense i got from Kubiak about what a steal they'd landed and that we were gonna be set at that position.

for the record i wish the best for brown as well but it's just great to hear us talking about where spencer is going to dominate not "it would've been nice if his career hadn't ended".
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #66
Lucky

Rep Power: 213448 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, first, it's not an unknown that Spencer can play tackle- There is no reason to think he'd struggle at RT.
The guy hasn't played football in 2 years. There's every reason to believe he will struggle in training camp just to get back into football shape.

If Spencer can get into shape, and that's a big if considering the poor conditioning he's had for the past 18 months, maybe he can challenge for a backup role at some position TBD. And if he proves he can get through an NFL training camp and season uninjured, maybe Spencer makes a run at a starting job in '09. But this is absolutely the wrong time to experiment with position changes on an offensive line that needs to gel by week 1.
Old 05-14-2008   #67
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

no doubt a quick start out of the gates is crucial.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2008   #68
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The guy hasn't played football in 2 years. There's every reason to believe he will struggle in training camp just to get back into football shape.

If Spencer can get into shape, and that's a big if considering the poor conditioning he's had for the past 18 months, maybe he can challenge for a backup role at some position TBD. And if he proves he can get through an NFL training camp and season uninjured, maybe Spencer makes a run at a starting job in '09. But this is absolutely the wrong time to experiment with position changes on an offensive line that needs to gel by week 1.
This whole argument is predicated on the unlikely assumption that Spencer his totally healthy for the preseason. So, it's not much of a counter argument to say that he probably won't be healthy. I've already said that.

If you read my original post, I suggested that if someone was talking to Kubiak during a candid moment and asked him what his ideal vision for the OL would be, it would be DBrown at LT.... a totally healthy Spencer at RT with Winston sliding into RG. I'm simply trying to illustrate what an amazing Oline that could be if everything worked out just right- which, as a Texan fan is pretty hard to imagine.
Old 05-14-2008   #69
Lucky

Rep Power: 213448 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This whole argument is predicated on the unlikely assumption that Spencer his totally healthy for the preseason.
Spencer has been given the medical OK to practice. Really, if he's not OK to go by training camp, he becomes another Boselli or Joppru and should be cut loose. I'm not talking about having the full range in his knee as prior to the injury. Just medically cleared, which he pretty much is.

That doesn't mean Spencer is in shape. Certainly not the kind of shape necessary to perform in Gibbs blocking scheme. Bringing in a new LT & C is daring enough. But, the talent level had to be upgraded. The talent level at RT & LG is just fine. The winner of a Weary-Brisiel battle should be OK at RG. There's no room to experiment with a big ? like Spencer. He needs to take this time to get in condition, learn as many positions as possible, and be ready to backup. With Salaam, Butler, and Frye competing for backup spots, I'd give Spencer less than a 50% chance to make this team.
Old 05-14-2008   #70
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Second, when the two were drafted, even though all of Winston's experience was at tackle and Spencer's experience at guard, the coaching staff projected Spencer at LT and Winston as a guard. Why?.. Spencer had the big punch and are length that Winston lacked. Both men were very athletic. Of course, Winston being a former TE and 30 lbs lighter is quicker on his feet.

Third, in the ZBS, more athleticism is required at guard because of what he is asked to do. Particularly at RT, agility is de-emphasized a little because usually you are facing a bigger, slower DE and also because the scheme doesn't require, usually, to cross the face of a LB at the second level while the play is working away from you.

Fourth, this is something that would be worked out in training camp and preseason. I'm not suggesting a change simply be made on a whim in week three.

If Spencer were to be 100% healthy, do you honestly believe that Winston would be a better tackle than Spencer?

Perhaps Spencer would be the better guard in a power blocking scheme but I don't see it in a ZBS. I think Winston would be a probowl caliber guard with Gibbs.
There is no reason to think he would succeed either. If Spencer is such a known commodity, then why isn't he slotted as the LT. What is known is that Winston can play RT very well. When was the last time Spencer played RT? When was the last time Winston played RG? Never, that's why I'm saying there would be two unknowns. There's an old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it." If Spencer can make it back healthy, he has the size, strength, and athleticism to be an interior Olineman. I just want the best player at each position.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #71
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

T: Brown, Salaam, Winston
G: Pitts, Weary, Salaam, Brisiel
C: Myers, Eslinger
LS: Pittman

is Butler eligible for the practice squad? I hope so.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #72
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There is no reason to think he would succeed either. If Spencer is such a known commodity, then why isn't he slotted as the LT. What is known is that Winston can play RT very well. When was the last time Spencer played RT? When was the last time Winston played RG? Never, that's why I'm saying there would be two unknowns. There's an old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it." If Spencer can make it back healthy, he has the size, strength, and athleticism to be an interior Olineman. I just want the best player at each position.

Are you people not reading my posts, or do you struggle with comprehension?

He is a known commodity if healthy. Once again, the argument is based on the assumption that he's totally healthy- something that I stated is not likely. However, if he is totally healthy, clearly he would be a good RT. It's silly to argue otherwise. That man can play!

With the talent on the team now, Brown would likely fit better on the left and Spencer on the right. Remember, the team originally drafted Winson with the intention of making him a guard.
Old 05-15-2008   #73
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
T: Brown, Salaam, Winston
G: Pitts, Weary, Salaam, Brisiel
C: Myers, Eslinger
LS: Pittman

is Butler eligible for the practice squad? I hope so.
No, I think we took him off another P.S and therefore had to keep him on the roster all season. That makes him ineligible for it this year.

If Butler can play he should be able to beat out Salaam. Salaam needs to get cut. I appreciate his efforts the past two seasons but some of these younger and superior athletes like Butler, Frye, Spencer need to step up and replace him now.
Old 05-15-2008   #74
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you people not reading my posts, or do you struggle with comprehension?

He is a known commodity if healthy. Once again, the argument is based on the assumption that he's totally healthy- something that I stated is not likely. However, if he is totally healthy, clearly he would be a good RT. It's silly to argue otherwise. That man can play!

With the talent on the team now, Brown would likely fit better on the left and Spencer on the right. Remember, the team originally drafted Winson with the intention of making him a guard.
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. Let's assume Spencer is completely healthy, he still has only played one and a half games as a pro. How is that a known commodity. We know Winston is a ver good RT, so why change things up. Just because Spencer looked promising in his 1 1/2 games at LT doesn't mean he can automatically move to the right side and succeed. I just want the best player at each position and if that means Spencedr plays RT and Winston plays RG then fine. At this point, I just don't see that happening. That's all.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #75
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we keep 9. 3 T, 2 G, 2 G/C, 1 G/T, and a C. Our staff likes versitle.

Pitts, Winston, Salaam, Weary, Myers, Brown, Briesle, White, Spencer.
Old 05-15-2008   #76
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Spencer has been given the medical OK to practice. Really, if he's not OK to go by training camp, he becomes another Boselli or Joppru and should be cut loose. I'm not talking about having the full range in his knee as prior to the injury. Just medically cleared, which he pretty much is.

That doesn't mean Spencer is in shape. Certainly not the kind of shape necessary to perform in Gibbs blocking scheme. Bringing in a new LT & C is daring enough. But, the talent level had to be upgraded. The talent level at RT & LG is just fine. The winner of a Weary-Brisiel battle should be OK at RG. There's no room to experiment with a big ? like Spencer. He needs to take this time to get in condition, learn as many positions as possible, and be ready to backup. With Salaam, Butler, and Frye competing for backup spots, I'd give Spencer less than a 50% chance to make this team.
Something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, is that if Spencer is unable to get himself into "playing condition" sufficiently to win a spot on the team outright, would he be eligible for the practice squad. He was on the active roster for, what, only two games?
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #77
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. Let's assume Spencer is completely healthy, he still has only played one and a half games as a pro. How is that a known commodity. We know Winston is a ver good RT, so why change things up. Just because Spencer looked promising in his 1 1/2 games at LT doesn't mean he can automatically move to the right side and succeed. I just want the best player at each position and if that means Spencedr plays RT and Winston plays RG then fine. At this point, I just don't see that happening. That's all.
Excellent post and i agree on Spencer really being a known "commodity". I hate using economic terms for people. If he's a proven player that's one thing but you're right. 1 1/2 games looking promising at LT doesn't = proven player add that to two years away from the line. Good luck geting Winston out of that RT spot.

I think if Spencer wants to make this team it's going to have to be at guard.Good news is he was all Big East at guard which is probably his more natural position anyway.

Picking Duane Brown in the first has this team moving forward at the Tackle position from here out. Signing Weary to a one year deal is a big signal to me FWIW that we're going to be moving forward at RG as well.From what I've heard Pitts looked great at mini camp.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #78
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, is that if Spencer is unable to get himself into "playing condition" sufficiently to win a spot on the team outright, would he be eligible for the practice squad. He was on the active roster for, what, only two games?
He may have some time left, but he may make it because he could fill in at Tackle as a last resort.
Old 05-15-2008   #79
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Number19? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

That's a good question, and one probably aj or Keith at inthebullseye
might have an answer readily available. Here's what the famous Miguel at patscap.com has to say.

Quote:
Quoting Section 7 of Article 38 of the CBA, " For purposes of calculating Credited Seasons under this Article only, a player shall earn one Credited Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of three or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player's pay status, shall not include games for which this player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List; (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a non-football injury; (iii) a Club's Practice or Developmental Squad; or (iv) a Club's Injured Reserve List."

Quoting Section 1 of Article 18 of the CBA,
"(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player's pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club's Practice or Development Squad."

How many accrued seasons a player has also affects his eligibility for the practice squad. According to the CBA, "the practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.
First, Spencer would have to be waived and clear waivers after the 53 man roster was set. Spencer would have 2 accrued seasons, since he spent 14 weeks on IR in '06 and the entire '07 season on IR. But, he was only on the Active List for 2 games in his career, which is fewer than the 9 game limit. So my guess is that Spencer would be eligible for the practice squad.
Old 05-15-2008   #80
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been over at the now defunct HPF, but most recently, haven't been paying much attention to football - spending my free time supporting Ron Paul. When HPF went belly up, I re-found TexansTalk. I've also found the new InTheBullsEye.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read