Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2008   #41
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

I don't see them making any changes at LS. Pittman has been excellent and so has K. Brown and Turk. Why mess with the chemistry when Special Teams was such a strength the last couple of years? As for the rest of the O-line, may the best men win. I'm glad we can start cutting decent players because they aren't good enough for our team. It shows we're actually making FORWARD progress.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #42
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what I think you'd get from Kubiak in a very candid moment:

If everything works out perfectly this off-season: Spencer is totally healthy, Brown is ready to start, etc... This is what his ideal OL would be:

LT: brown
LG: pitts
C: myers
RG: Winston
Rt: Spencer

Winston is going to have more quickness to get to the second level and cross the MLB on the stretch play. Spencer has the brute strength, punch, and arm length ideal for RT. I don't think this is a likely scenario, but if we see it, I think this could be a great OL!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #43
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not move Winston to guard. He is becoming an excellent RT.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #44
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
I would not move Winston to guard. He is becoming an excellent RT.
Which is kinda a surprise since he's always been considered a finess sort of OLineman who seems more of a fit at LT where he played in college, notwithstand reservations some have about his arm length.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #45
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

what worries me about Spencer being at RT is the scheme. In zone blocking, you basicly have a sideways moving frieght train clearing a lane for the running back. Depending on wich way the run goes, either the LT is the engine and the RT is the caboose, or vice versa. The 2 tackles have to be the most athletic because they will need to do alot of the backside cutblocks. if the run goes right the LT will have backside close-off, a run left it will be the RT. My point is the tackles need to be the most consitent linemen we have, and I think we need to let them perfect the system with 100% healthy and mobile guys or the lineman around the gimp guy will have to take up the slack constantly or we will have alot of busted run plays.
Old 05-14-2008   #46
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Spencer can regain his form, I think he could be an awesome guard because of his size combined with his athleticism. He is a huge cog in the middle of the Oline that can help the center with the bigger DT while also being quick enough to pulle and get to the next level. Again, assuming he makes it back to his old form. We have a chance of having a good Oline.
Old 05-14-2008   #47
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
IMO:

Tackles
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Kasey Studdard 6'2" 302
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300

I don't know who's eligiable for PS or anything so I won't get into that, but these are the guys I think will be on our opening roster.

Really tough choices there.

They aren't keeping ten. unless they can squirel someone away on the IR out of camp. They won't gamble with Pittman. and....they should keep an extra DT this season. The theme this season is getting younger, quicker. I posted earlier...Weary and Pitts are on thier way out.

Salaam didn't start breaking down untill he had piled alot of games on his legs...he isn't going anywhere. He'll be slotted where he was supposed to be in the first place. Back up swing Tackel.
Old 05-14-2008   #48
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

I don't think Pitts is on his way out. He is one of our best and consistant Olineman. Now Weary on the other hand...
Old 05-14-2008   #49
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They aren't keeping ten. unless they can squirel someone away on the IR out of camp. They won't gamble with Pittman. and....they should keep an extra DT this season. The theme this season is getting younger, quicker. I posted earlier...Weary and Pitts are on thier way out.

Salaam didn't start breaking down untill he had piled alot of games on his legs...he isn't going anywhere. He'll be slotted where he was supposed to be in the first place. Back up swing Tackel.
While I agree that Weary could be out, it's for the reason that he may not come back from injury, not age. There is no way Pitts is going anywhere. He is our best and most consisant player on our line. What exactly is it that you have against Pitts? 30 is not even close to old for a lineman. The only old lineman we have is Salaam.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #50
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Here's what I think you'd get from Kubiak in a very candid moment:

If everything works out perfectly this off-season: Spencer is totally healthy, Brown is ready to start, etc... This is what his ideal OL would be:

LT: brown
LG: pitts
C: myers
RG: Winston
Rt: Spencer

Winston is going to have more quickness to get to the second level and cross the MLB on the stretch play. Spencer has the brute strength, punch, and arm length ideal for RT. I don't think this is a likely scenario, but if we see it, I think this could be a great OL!

Can you have a 6'7" LG. why not ? He is the most athletic o-lineman they've got. Pitts and Spencer have the best shot at making the switch to RT.
Only negtive I can think of is passing lanes.

I think if they are going to bow their necks with Brown it make sense to move Winston into the LG spot. I posted befor, you don't put your most athletic lineman into a phone booth.

Pitts has become more of a pile driver than ZBS LG.
That belongs on the right side. He has trouble on the second level executing blocks. The only one who doesn't is Winston. I put that at LG.
We'll see if Gibbs agrees.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 05-14-2008 at 09:39 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll see if Gibbs agrees.
He won't. When he doesn't can we please have an end of the get rid of Pitts and move Winston arguments?--Gibbs is the guru after all.
Old 05-14-2008   #52
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Winston is a cornerstone on our Oline. Why would you move him to guard and replace him with an unexperienced guy to man the RT spot? It doesn't make sense.
Old 05-14-2008   #53
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He won't. When he doesn't can we please have an end of the get rid of Pitts and move Winston arguments?--Gibbs is the guru after all.
Got 'er marked. They're not going to war with Pitts at LG. We're not pile driving Green bay power gaame any more....supposedly. and if that is true...pitts is either toast or moving. But that is my last one except of course, for the ITYS in September.
Mr. Cak.
Old 05-14-2008   #54
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Got 'er marked. They're not going to war with Pitts at LG. We're not pile driving Green bay power gaame any more....supposedly. and if that is true...pitts is either toast or moving. But that is my last one except of course, for the ITYS in September.
Mr. Cak.
Pitts isn't even what I consider a "mauler" Guard. I certainly don't see him as a piledriver kind of Guard...he is a finesse guy wrapped up in a big body. Pitts has the feet to do what Gibbs wants as far as I'm concerned. He's smart enough too. Hopefully he can get his mean on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #55
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i can't help but wonder if there is alot of turnover on the line with guys moving to different positions (and there very well may be), what will the learning curve be and how will it effect us in those first 5 games? we have probably the hardest first 5 games of anyone in the league. we are going to have to be super prepared come week 1!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Pitts isn't even what I consider a "mauler" Guard. I certainly don't see him as a piledriver kind of Guard...he is a finesse guy wrapped up in a big body. Pitts has the feet to do what Gibbs wants as far as I'm concerned. He's smart enough too. Hopefully he can get his mean on.
Now ya talking!!
Old 05-14-2008   #57
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Winston is a cornerstone on our Oline. Why would you move him to guard and replace him with an unexperienced guy to man the RT spot? It doesn't make sense.
Because the personnel and scheme has changed!!

I don't know that it will happen, but my point is valid:

A healthy Spencer at RT and Winston at RG in a strict ZBS makes for a very strong line. That is no indictment against Winston. Again, Winston's agility and athleticism is the reason he could excel at guard in the ZBS. The guard often has to cross the face of the MLB when the play is flowing away from them. I don't know that Spencer can do that, but I think Winston could.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #58
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Pitts isn't even what I consider a "mauler" Guard. I certainly don't see him as a piledriver kind of Guard...he is a finesse guy wrapped up in a big body. Pitts has the feet to do what Gibbs wants as far as I'm concerned. He's smart enough too.
Well said.

I think it is way too early to say who stays or goes because it isn't like these guys have all played together on a line for a long time.

You can have nice words about a Seth Wand early in camp, and then find out that he gets cut by the end.

BTW, as long as we are having a discussion about WRs, did anyone else notice that in the video with DeMeco and AJ, AJ talks about how it is good for him to be out running around because he has been doing mostly rehabbing?

He played on his hurt knee at the end of the season, but truly the only treatment for it is to strengthen the muscles around it.

Don't mean to be alarmist about that, but I found it to be a surprising comment to me.
Old 05-14-2008   #59
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i noticed it but am in complete denial about any injuries that may be lingering.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #60
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Because the personnel and scheme has changed!!

I don't know that it will happen, but my point is valid:

A healthy Spencer at RT and Winston at RG in a strict ZBS makes for a very strong line. That is no indictment against Winston. Again, Winston's agility and athleticism is the reason he could excel at guard in the ZBS. The guard often has to cross the face of the MLB when the play is flowing away from them. I don't know that Spencer can do that, but I think Winston could.
If Spencer can't do that then he certaintly isn't athletic enough to play RT. I just think since Winston has already proven he can man the RT spot witgh great efficiency, why would you change that and create an unknown at two positions?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read