Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2008   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been reading the threads the past few weeks and just wanted to get some opinions on who you think will make it on Gibbs O-Line. After checking the roster, I found we have a total of 18 linemen, including Pittman, the Long Snapper, but excluding the TE's. A breakdown of the positions shows we have 7 Tackles, 6 Guards, 4 Centers and the LS. This doesn't take into account players who can play multiple positions which is a plus, and will probably go into the decision making by Kubes/Gibbs when it gets down to making cuts.

Here are the players listed by their primary position:

Tackles
* Jordan Black 6'5" 310
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Rashad Butler 6'4" 293
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300
* Charles Spencer 6'4" 352
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Scott Jackson 6'4" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Dan Stevenson 6'5" 300
* Kasey Studdard 6'2" 302
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300
* Chukky Okobi 6'1" 305
* Chris White 6'2" 285

The Texans carried 10 O-Linemen last year, counting Pittman, the LS. Assuming they carry 10 again this year, including Pittman, which of the remaining players do you think will make the team and who will be put on the Practice Squad (I'm not sure but I think only Frye and Studdard are PS eligible) if any?

As of now this is the way I see it:
RT Winston, Salaam
RG Brisiel, Weary(if 100% recovered)
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer
LT Salaam (until Brown is ready)

PS Frye, Studdard
PUP/IR White
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-Line, Who Stays, Who Goes?

Black will be gone
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is how I would like it (tought call though):

RT Winston, Butler
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer

PS Frye, Studdard
LS Pittman

I like Brown, Salaam, Winston and Butler as our 4 tackles.
I'd like to see Pitts, Weary, Brisiel, and Spencer as our guards.
At Center i see Myers being a C/G, and i'm not familiar with the other C's.

I think Frye is a guy that needs to make the team and he'll be a Guard. If we can Keep him on the PS, that's the way to go. I don't see Studdard making the 53 man roster but I still want him on this team. Pittman will make the team as well. And I'm running out of room on the roster!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown Salaam
Pitts Frye
Myers Eslinger
Spencer Briesel
Winston Butler

Studdard, is he P.S. eligible
C. White PUP

Who knows... I think Salaam may get cut if they're confident in spencer's health. I've got Weary and Studdard not making the squad- those are a couple tough cuts. Also, I've got 10 on the roster when it's unlikely we carry more than 9.

I don't know... this is going to be a tough camp!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #5
Polo

I hope Pittman doesn't make the team...

Since Kubiak has been here he's said that he wants guys to be able to play dual roles...

I just think that if we can find one more roster player besides Dreesen who can long snap he's outta here...
Old 05-12-2008   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown
Pitts
Myers
Spencer
Winston

Salaam, Studdard, Weary, White make the second crew.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

We carried 10 guys on the OL last year, so assuming we keep that the same, I'm guessing we will have:

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer
Old 05-12-2008   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

With the unknowns as of right now as far as injuries are concerned it is impossible to answer.

Chris White, Fred Weary and Charles Spencer all could be on pup to start the season. Kubiak has already mentioned Spencer for Guard not tackle so I doubt they will even look at him there.

I thought White if healthy would be great as a swing Center Guard from what my blind eyes (meaning I have no eye for talent eval) could tell last year. I do think more of the younger guys will be making the roster.
Old 05-12-2008   #9
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the following 7 are highly likely to make the team:
Brown (obviously)
Winston (obviously)
Salaam (reliable, even if only as a backup)
Brisiel (good performance last year)
Pitts (long-term contributor with no one clearly better)
Myers (he's basically one of this year's draft picks, chosen for this role, probably with heavy input by Gibbs et al.)
Spencer (assuming he's recovered, even if not at the level he was before - showed too much potential, and might not clear waivers)

If they keep a LS, that probably leaves only a couple of open positions. They'll need someone else as a Center, and I think that will depend on White's recovery (I don't know his status). If he has recovered, I expect him to have the spot, and if not, Eslinger. For the last spot, I think Fred Weary will have first shot, if he has really recovered, and if not, I expect them to go for someone with flexibility to play several positions, probably Brandon Frye. I would expect Studdard to go to the PS.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
We carried 10 guys on the OL last year, so assuming we keep that the same, I'm guessing we will have:

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer
THis looks reasonable to me. Although I'm not sure about Eslinger vs. White. I ain't sayin' its wrong, I just haven't seen enough of either of them to make a call.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember that our LS is actually a TE so that may come into the mix come time for roster cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Remember that our LS is actually a TE so that may come into the mix come time for roster cuts.
Which is pretty irrelevant since he will never touch the field as a TE.
Old 05-13-2008   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post

LT -- Brown, Salaam
LG -- Pitts, Frye
C - Myers, Eslinger
RG -- Brisiel, Weary
RT -- Winston, Spencer
looks reasonable to me except I don't know where this dude Eslinger comes from so, i'll have to assume he's 1 of the odd men out. I think Weary will be kept around just b/c he's versatile (guard & center) & i think Studdard will push someone for one of the guard spots.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO:

Tackles
* Duane Brown 6'4" 308
* Brandon Frye 6'4" 302
* Ephraim Salaam 6'7" 300
* Eric Winston 6'7" 310

Guards
* Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300
* Chester Pitts 6'3" 320
* Kasey Studdard 6'2" 302
* Fred Weary 6'4" 308

Centers
* Greg Eslinger 6'3" 292
* Chris Myers 6'4" 300

I don't know who's eligiable for PS or anything so I won't get into that, but these are the guys I think will be on our opening roster.

Really tough choices there.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see or hear of where Brandon Frye lined up during mini camp? I had heard somewhere prior to this camp (radio?) that he would see time at Guard.
Old 05-13-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

OT's

lock & load - Duane Brown, Ephraim Salaam, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer
roster battle - Jordan Black vs. Rashad Butler

OG's

lock & load - Mike Brisiel, Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Brandon Frye
roster battle - Kasey Studdard vs. Dan Stevenson vs. Scott Jackson

OC's

lock & load - Greg Eslinger, Chris Myers
roster battle - Chukky Okobi vs. Chris White

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 05-13-2008 at 11:57 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Did anyone see or hear of where Brandon Frye lined up during mini camp? I had heard somewhere prior to this camp (radio?) that he would see time at Guard.
I heard a comment that Kubiak made sometime that they actually drafted Frye with the intention of moving him to guard and never really considered him as a tackle. It was a surprise to me since I had never heard that. Not sure where he's lining up at mini camp but my money is he's in as guard and not a tackle.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I know Kubes has Spencer penciled in at RG but I can not believe that if he is healthy, Kubes would not give him a chance @ LT. Spencer beat all comp two years ago including the guy who started in his place for 2 seasons and he doesn't even get a chance at LT? If Brown is the guy & CS is at RG, ok, but I'd want to see CS at LT a few plays. No coach is talking about moving Dunta to nickle CB and he is worse physically than CS.
Anyone have any clue how Jordan Black would do in ZBS? I have been against him since he signed but he might do better under Gibbs.
I could see Weary on IR at beginning of season to keep another player on roster for longer eval and to work Fred in. Why make a cut until you have to?
Old 05-13-2008   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Which is pretty irrelevant since he will never touch the field as a TE.
Well until LS becomes an official position it is relevant. He'll be on the roster as either a TE or C.

Add to that Spencer has been playing G and that makes the way the roster is laid out different. It's way too early to try and guess whats going happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This is how I would like it (tought call though):

RT Winston, Butler
C Myers, Eslinger
LG Pitts, Spencer

PS Frye, Studdard
LS Pittman

I like Brown, Salaam, Winston and Butler as our 4 tackles.
I'd like to see Pitts, Weary, Brisiel, and Spencer as our guards.
At Center i see Myers being a C/G, and i'm not familiar with the other C's.

I think Frye is a guy that needs to make the team and he'll be a Guard. If we can Keep him on the PS, that's the way to go. I don't see Studdard making the 53 man roster but I still want him on this team. Pittman will make the team as well. And I'm running out of room on the roster!
This is pretty much How I'd call it too Ole Miss. Brisiel looked good last year and Myers and Eslinger could end up in a pretty good battle for center.

I think there are some real variables here in the form of the health of Spencer and Weary. If and its a big if he's cleared and is ready to go by TC both guard spots aren't safe. I think he'll have to make it as a guard to and won't see reps at Tackle. Weary is in a tough place coming of an injury and only signed to a one year deal. I like the guy but I can't help but wonder if he's now a stop gap guy instead of a long term player on the team.

I'd love to see Studdard's tenacity make the team but I think he's got one year or so left for PS eligibility.

On a side note is anyone else seeing a David Anderson vs Grice-Mullins battle for the 5th WR spot?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read