Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2008   #1
andre'
Bandwagoner

Rep Power: 12 andre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden cover
Default Shanahan article

Read the rest of the article here:
Link to Rocky Mountain News article

Quote:
He no longer is the little boy who wandered off on his own when he was 31/2 and spent several hours lost in the bowels of Florida Field until a security officer finally found him and reunited him with his panicked father.

And he has come a long way from the gangly teen who used to run fly patterns alongside Broncos receivers Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey during the summer.

At 28, Kyle Shanahan is all grown up, physically and professionally. And today, when the Houston Texans start minicamp, he'll step on the field as the youngest offensive coordinator in the NFL. Those who know him best say there's no question he was born to coach.

"I saw it in my son (David, an assistant with the Kansas City Chiefs) just like I saw it in Kyle," said new Texans offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, who held a similar position in Denver under Mike Shanahan. "Mike had no chance to even move him in another direction. There was no way."

That's not to say the family didn't try.

Peggy Shanahan, Mike's wife and Kyle's mother, said they hoped their only son might choose golf or a legal degree.

"He's a real good arguer, so when he was real young, we started saying, 'lawyer,' and pushing in that direction," Peggy Shanahan said. "It just didn't work out."

And when Dad took his young son to the golf course, Kyle would hit one or two balls and sit down.

Even though he cried when his father was fired by the Raiders and lived a vagabond life, with six moves by the time he was 15, Kyle insisted he wanted to be a coach and, more specifically, an NFL coach.

"We finally gave up and said, 'OK, do what you want. You've lived this life forever. You know how hard it is,' " Peggy said.

Thus, Kyle this season will oversee players such as Chris Brown, a former University of Colorado running back and only a year younger, and quarterback Matt Schaub, two years his junior.

The age factor hardly worries Kyle.

"People make a big deal about it, but personally, I feel my age is my No. 1 asset. If you don't know what you're doing and players realize that, it doesn't matter how old you are, it's going to be miserable for you," Kyle said. "The fact that I'm younger and do know what I'm doing gives me an advantage. I wouldn't trade my age for anything."

Last edited by Lucky; 05-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.
andre' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shanahan article

Cool story, thanks for posting!

p.s. Please provide a link, per forum regulations.
Old 05-09-2008   #3
andre'
Bandwagoner

Rep Power: 12 andre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Cool story, thanks for posting!

p.s. Please provide a link, per forum regulations.
Sorry, didnt know. As I was looking for the link, a nice mod edited it for me! Thanks
Old 05-10-2008   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to end up repeating too much, but as I've mentioned before, Shanahan is really impressive talking football, and more specifically, what Kubiak wants to do with the offense.

I've been fortunate to sit through a few sessions of coaches talking coaching film, and Shanahan the younger talking film was lots of fun. He's really good with talking about why certain plays work and why other plays don't as far as positioning of players and selling of plays.

He looks really young, but once he starts talking, you forget that.
Old 05-12-2008   #5
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I actually think Kyle is gonna blow our offense wide open. I like the idea of a young inovative Coord. with a QB guru of a head coach looking over his shoulder.
Old 05-12-2008   #6
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

IIRC the big play action bomb to AJ was something Shanny drew up right there because he saw the safeties cheating when we were only putting 1 wr on the field.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
IIRC the big play action bomb to AJ was something Shanny drew up right there because he saw the safeties cheating when we were only putting 1 wr on the field.
Don't think that was Shanahan. It was Kubiak, Schaub and AJ drawing up the play. Remember Sherman was OC last year.
Old 05-12-2008   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I like the idea of a young inovative Coord. with a QB guru of a head coach looking over his shoulder.
not to mention Mr. Gibbs' insite.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #9
Danish_bull
Rookie

Good article and good read!
Danish_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I actually think Kyle is gonna blow our offense wide open. I like the idea of a young inovative Coord. with a QB guru of a head coach looking over his shoulder.
Thinking the same thing.

He seems to have a swagger to him. He seems to be a fireball.

I forsee a lot of risk-taking for our offense.
Old 05-12-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2008   #12
andre'
Bandwagoner

do you think they will incorporate a bronco like running attack?
Old 05-19-2008   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre' View Post
do you think they will incorporate a bronco like running attack?
They didn't hire Alex Gibbs for his looks.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

they hired him for his fashion. everybody knows that.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #15
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought I would dust this thread off instead of starting a new one. Last night I nutted up with a dup thread anyway.

Good Yahoo article on Kyle I must have missed yesterday. The more I get to know this "kid" the more I like him. Besides, if AJ says he's worthy, he's worthy.

Shanahan on fast track like his father
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

HOUSTON – Though he is the NFL’s youngest offensive coordinator, a 28-year-old wunderkind who’ll call plays for the Houston Texans this season, Kyle Shanahan doesn’t feel sheepish about the team’s decision to go green.

Truth be told, the fast-tracked son of Broncos coach Mike Shanahan began acting the part long ago.

During previous coaching stints with the Texans (as receivers coach in 2006 and quarterbacks coach in ‘07), Buccaneers (as an offensive quality control assistant from ‘04-05) and UCLA (as a graduate assistant in ‘03), Shanahan struggled to learn his place. Prone to blurting out suggestions in meetings with other coaches and players, the young assistant ultimately came to understand that such an approach made him come off as too cool for school.

“It’s hard, especially as a young coach, you can’t just speak up and give your opinions all the time,” Shanahan said after a recent Texans practice. “I used to do that and get stares. People would look and think, ‘Is this guy showing off?’ No matter how good I thought the idea might have been, I learned it was better to catch (another coach) on the way out of the meeting and suggest it gently.”

Mike Shanahan’s take on his precocious son? “Yeah, that would take him awhile to learn. He’s not shy.”

Now, like his accomplished father, Kyle will get to channel his assertiveness into game plans and on-the-fly adjustments on Sundays. With the Texans coming off an 8-8 season, the most successful in their six-year history, there is talk in Houston of a first-ever playoff appearance. With a promising quarterback in Matt Schaub and a star wideout in Andre Johnson, this is a team with the potential for big things on offense.

Read on....
Old 09-03-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So now we know why Chris Brown was REALLY cut. Good article
Old 09-03-2008   #17
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I don't have any problem with Shanahan's youth. I'm excited to have a young, creative mind in charge of our offense. Besides, who could be better mentors than Kubiak and Gibbs?
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #18
andre'
Bandwagoner

Now, a year later after this thread was first started what are your evaluations of the young Shanny?

Though the ground game hasn't flourished, this passing attack remains one of the most lethal in the league

So are you all happy with how he turned out?
Old 12-27-2009   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre' View Post
Now, a year later after this thread was first started what are your evaluations of the young Shanny?

Though the ground game hasn't flourished, this passing attack remains one of the most lethal in the league

So are you all happy with how he turned out?
Pretty much. There have been peaks and valleys, but overall did reasonably well in his first rodeo as an OC.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan. Too often our offense throws a play out there that leaves everyone (including Andre Johnson by his own admission) scratching their heads. 30 minutes of good football followed by 30 minutes of stumbling around like they just woke up does not make Shanahan a success. He's shown ability but he hasn't got it straight yet.

Next year it's learn, grow, and improve or hit the road I believe.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read