Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2008   #101
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown Will Be Starting LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is it me, or does Gibbs have a severe case of bedhead?
I agree, Vinny. Although your last statement doesn't really portray much enthusiasm as an immediate improvement over Salaam. IMO, Salaam is the Ron Dayne of LT's. I'd hope someone as "athletic" as Brown is would unseat Salaam with ease.

I think that's the Jack Nicholson look.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #102
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Do you have a link for that?

The Wonderlic scores are typically posted as two numbers separated by a slash. (For instance 29/32 or 17/50.)

I think the common misconception is that the second number represents the second score from a second test, when actually it's the number of questions the test-taker answered and the first number is the number of correct answers.
So if your theory is correct we could then say that since a certain QB for a certain team had a score something like 6/16 we could then say that not only could he not come close to finishing the test he also was not often correct in his answers. That would mean he was slow and wrong.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much in Duane running with the first team at OTAs

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #103
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watch another VT game.
vs. Clemson in 06.
(just the 1st half.)

Frye was at LT and Brown at RT for VT.
Gaines Adams and Philip Merling at DE (switching side from time to time.)

Some good battles there.
Frye was on a bit of the losing end while Brown look pretty good. The guy is athletic and can definitely move.

On one particular play, the QB couldn't find a receiver, but scrambled and still hold on to the ball too long. Brown made two blocks, one on each side of the field. The QB should have thrown the ball away or lay down, but he didn't and eventually lost the ball. Brown turned around and make the tackle on the guy who recovered. He looked like a LB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #104
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it too late for an internet hack...er, scout to trash the Texans 1st round pick? Apparently not, as this Chris Steuber guy (writing for the fading fast draft site scout.com) believes Duane Brown is the Rookie Most Likely To: Fade Into Obscurity.

Quote:
Every year there is a workout warrior who emerges at the Scouting Combine, shows good athleticism and appears fluid during positional drills, but for some reason scouts ignore the game film and get enamored with a player’s measureables.

A former tight end at Virginia Tech, the 6-foot-4, 315-pound Brown has a lot of upside, but on film he played soft and at times got manhandled by the opposition. He possesses quick feet, but he has to improve his strength in his upper body and legs.

There were six OTs taken in the first round, and I expect Brown to be the most disappointing of them all.
I get a good laugh at these internet scouts who makes claims like "...he has to improve his strength in his upper body and his legs." One, just about every rookie in the league needs to improve their strength. Why single Brown out? Two, unless he's Brown's strength and conditioning coach, how would he know exactly what Brown needs to improve in? These guys love to talk out of their arse whenever they can't come up with a reasonable explanation for their assertions.

So, Brown will be the most disappointing OT selected in the 1st round? Well, he was the 6th of the OTs drafted. If the NFL always took the best player available at each slot, which has never happened, Brown would be the worst of the 6 tackles. That alone wouldn't make him a bad pick. The Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert, claimed that this OT draft class was the best he had seen in 25 years. If true, would it be that unlikely for all 6 of these Tackles to become good players?

Finally, isn't Duane Brown already rather obscure? Just how much fading has to occur? Brown could start all 16 games as a rookie for the Texans, and still wouldn't get much notoriety. Not outside of Houston, anyway.

Hey, I realize the guy had to pick some player as Most Likely To Bust. Why not the Texans draft pick? They're always an easy target. Fine. As our own threetoedpete might say, "Got 'er marked."
Old 05-19-2008   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Is it too late for an internet hack...er, scout to trash the Texans 1st round pick? Apparently not, as this Chris Steuber guy (writing for the fading fast draft site scout.com) believes Duane Brown is the Rookie Most Likely To: Fade Into Obscurity.

I get a good laugh at these internet scouts who makes claims like "...he has to improve his strength in his upper body and his legs." One, just about every rookie in the league needs to improve their strength. Why single Brown out? Two, unless he's Brown's strength and conditioning coach, how would he know exactly what Brown needs to improve in? These guys love to talk out of their arse whenever they can't come up with a reasonable explanation for their assertions.

So, Brown will be the most disappointing OT selected in the 1st round? Well, he was the 6th of the OTs drafted. If the NFL always took the best player available at each slot, which has never happened, Brown would be the worst of the 6 tackles. That alone wouldn't make him a bad pick. The Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert, claimed that this OT draft class was the best he had seen in 25 years. If true, would it be that unlikely for all 6 of these Tackles to become good players?

Finally, isn't Duane Brown already rather obscure? Just how much fading has to occur? Brown could start all 16 games as a rookie for the Texans, and still wouldn't get much notoriety. Not outside of Houston, anyway.

Hey, I realize the guy had to pick some player as Most Likely To Bust. Why not the Texans draft pick? They're always an easy target. Fine. As our own threetoedpete might say, "Got 'er marked."
I think Lucky, that you are using entirely too much logic and common sense. This guy probably has dreams that he will eventually take Kiper's spot on ESPN and you keep messing with him. heehehe.
Old 05-19-2008   #106
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do you think they call guys like this jerk talking heads? Maybe empty talking head would be more apt in his case.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #107
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm curious. lets all take a shot at being an internet hack... er, scout. who do ya'll see as the first round pick most likely to flop?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2008   #108
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm curious. lets all take a shot at being an internet hack... er, scout. who do ya'll see as the first round pick most likely to flop?
IMO Mcfadden. he'll be hurt within the 1st 6 games mark my words.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Going to have to be a lineman. I'm going to say, hmmm, Jake Long. Total freaking guess though, and I have nothing to support or back this up in any way shape or form.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #110
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Going to have to be a lineman. I'm going to say, hmmm, Jake Long. Total freaking guess though, and I have nothing to support or back this up in any way shape or form.
You must be a writer, lol.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #111
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

hilarious!!
Old 05-19-2008   #112
barrett
Hall of Fame

i forgot to pick. i'm going to say one of jacksonville's two DE picks. and i'm basing it on the exact same data as "bong".
Old 05-19-2008   #113
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the zeroth law of fan nature. If they say something you happen to agree with, then he/she is 'spot on' and insightful. If they don't, then he/she is a moron, hack, bum, hater, talking head or douchebag - except of course for those that are always bums or hacks even if you do agree with them from time to time.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #114
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
The message will be pretty clear in the comments. If the reports are not
"glowing"....if you're not reading/hearing about how impressive Brown was at minicamp---that's not great news.

Comments like "coming along"/"good start"/"transition to NFL"/"learned some stuff"---- all veil some disappointment.

Not that Brown won't develop into a solid LT, just that he's not a(the) natural.

So far I have not heard about anyone being bowled over by Brown, yet, but it's early. Another week will clear things up as it trickles down.

I'm sure hoping for big upside surprise.
There is no disappointment here. These are the same posts we got when Spencer was making the transition. Believe it or not, they choose to move back and pick this guy. Not move up and waist picks on a higher rated guy.
He can dip his hips and is very athletic. That makes him better than two thirds of the guys coming out every year... off the bat. No one is going to be bowled over until the bullets are live and he picks up an exotic stunt. He isn't a prima donna and Gibbs will work him to death. Want perfect ? trade every pick you got in the bag and move into the top five. The big question is: is four months enough time ? and at this point no one knows for sure. If they aren't fawning all over him now, that's one reason why. The other is that Gibbs will break down his game over the next few months. Then Gibbs will attempt to build him back up. He doesn't have to relearn anything. Brown is starting from scratch.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 05-21-2008 at 10:36 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #115
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
It's the zeroth law of fan nature. If they say something you happen to agree with, then he/she is 'spot on' and insightful. If they don't, then he/she is a moron, hack, bum, hater, talking head or douchebag - except of course for those that are always bums or hacks even if you do agree with them from time to time.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #116
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not sure but I know one thing- its not going to be a Texan

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #117
barrett
Hall of Fame

there could potentially be so much shakeup on the offensive line who knows who will excel in Gibbs' system and who will not.
Old 05-21-2008   #118
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I kind of agree with you. Jake Long will be a RT before all is said and done.
Old 05-21-2008   #119
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I see one of the CB's being a complete bust. Which one(s) I don't know... but of all the players in the 1st round, they have the most upside as well as the most bust potential.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #120
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there could potentially be so much shakeup on the offensive line who knows who will excel in Gibbs' system and who will not.
don't know about that. Rick Smith traded for Chris Meyers to be the starting Center. Winston is the starting RT & Pitts the starting LG. if Brown progresses on schedule he will be the starting LT. that leaves only RG position as unknown.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read