Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2008   #81
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown Will Be Starting LT

I have heard agents have copies(or the type of questions) of the wonderlic that they give their clients and I guess it is up to the clients to study them and I guess after the first go round with the test, clients learn how to not stay on one question too long and move on being it is times..

but just brainstorming
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #82
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

If you study that list long enough it becomes very clear that the second number is not a second test score. I don't want to come off too harshly, but there is no way some of those guys scored as high as that second number on the second try. If you know anything about the Wonderlic, you know that a 30 is extremely impressive, like something a scientist would score....not something a cornerback or running back would score...
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
If you study that list long enough it becomes very clear that the second number is not a second test score. I don't want to come off too harshly, but there is no way some of those guys scored as high as that second number on the second try. If you know anything about the Wonderlic, you know that a 30 is extremely impressive, like something a scientist would score....not something a cornerback or running back would score...
well, now that's an interesting assumption...

without knowing any of these guys personally how can you say that CBs and RBs cannot be both intelligent AND athletic?

Didn't we have a RB on our team last season that's studying to be a doctor? Or have you forgotten about Gado? Isn't one of this year's crop of rookies considering law school? I'm a bit surprised you would make that kind of generalization.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #84
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you know anything about the Wonderlic, you know that a 30 is extremely impressive, like something a scientist would score.
We seem to be getting wrapped around the axle here on some minutia when in truth we should be pretty happy our guy shot at least a 29 which is pretty darn good. Bodes well for his ability to pick up a complex scheme.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #85
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

For a big man he gets great knee bend like a smaller man as opposed to the Herman Munster like posture that guys like Todd Wade has. This enables him to get behind his pads and lower his center of gravity in space to deliver blows like a smaller more athletic body-type can....I'm kinda excited about his long term prospects.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #86
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have posted this before, but it warranted a repost. Here is an approximte list of scores and the kind of jobs a "typical" person with that score might occupy. Of course there is no such thing as a "typical person" as everyone is an individual, but yall get the idea.

* Chemist - 31
* Programmer - 29
* Journalist - 26
* Sales - 24
* Bank teller - 22
* Clerical worker - 21
* Security guard - 17
* Warehouse - 15

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #87
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
well, now that's an interesting assumption...

without knowing any of these guys personally how can you say that CBs and RBs cannot be both intelligent AND athletic?

I'm a bit surprised you would make that kind of generalization.
Hilarious! You're right, I'm sure there are dozens of running backs in the NFL who have scored 50's on the Wonderlic.....My bad.
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2008   #88
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
We seem to be getting wrapped around the axle here on some minutia when in truth we should be pretty happy our guy shot at least a 29 which is pretty darn good. Bodes well for his ability to pick up a complex scheme.
Fair enough. I'm still going to try to verify those scores though.
Old 05-11-2008   #89
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

The message will be pretty clear in the comments. If the reports are not
"glowing"....if you're not reading/hearing about how impressive Brown was at minicamp---that's not great news.

Comments like "coming along"/"good start"/"transition to NFL"/"learned some stuff"---- all veil some disappointment.

Not that Brown won't develop into a solid LT, just that he's not a(the) natural.

So far I have not heard about anyone being bowled over by Brown, yet, but it's early. Another week will clear things up as it trickles down.

I'm sure hoping for big upside surprise.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #90
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I have posted this before, but it warranted a repost. Here is an approximte list of scores and the kind of jobs a "typical" person with that score might occupy. Of course there is no such thing as a "typical person" as everyone is an individual, but yall get the idea.

* Chemist - 31
* Programmer - 29
* Journalist - 26
* Sales - 24
* Bank teller - 22
* Clerical worker - 21
* Security guard - 17
* Warehouse - 15
I'll take a team of "warehouse" over "security guard" any day --- they need to re-order that list.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #91
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think the most amazing thing in this thread is that people actually listen to 790.
Even our resident blogger knows they're full of crap. 790 is just bad, unlistenable radio, y'all. 97.5 is right on their heels though.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #92
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
I'll take a team of "warehouse" over "security guard" any day --- they need to re-order that list.
Old 05-11-2008   #93
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"glowing"....if you're not reading/hearing about how impressive Brown was at minicamp---that's not great news.

Comments like "coming along"/"good start"/"transition to NFL"/"learned some stuff"---- all veil some disappointment.

Not that Brown won't develop into a solid LT, just that he's not a(the) natural.

So far I have not heard about anyone being bowled over by Brown, yet, but it's early. Another week will clear things up as it trickles down.

I'm sure hoping for big upside surprise.
They aren't even hitting each other yet....Why do you think he isn't a 'natural" for this (your words not mine)? I think you are really reading way too much into everything right now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #94
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quite a job reading the tea leaves. I'm going to take a stab at it utilizing these Kubiak Day 3 quotes:

Quote:
“It was a good weekend,” Kubiak said. “Like I said, the whole philosophy behind changing the schedule up a little bit, to me, was that I wanted all these young guys to have an idea after today of the way we do things so when we get started on the 19th, we don’t waste two or three days getting in the right mode.
Translation: "I'm at my wit's end. I've done everything I can think of, and they know less football now than when we started. Hell, I couldn't teach these noobs how to tie their shoes. Loop, swoop, and pull. How hard is that?"

Quote:
“That light went on for Mario somewhere last year about Week 7 or 8,” Kubiak said.
Translation: "If Mario dogs it again at the start of the season, I'll be out on my arse and begging Shermie to take me on as the Aggie QB coach."

Quote:
“2008’s well on its way. It’s fun to get started.”
Translation: "We have no chance. I wouldn't even bother to go inside for the game. Just come for the tailgate and pack it up at kickoff. I'd rather spend the 3 hours knitting and watching American Idol reruns."
Old 05-11-2008   #95
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well ... I guess it could be worse . Mike Jenkins can't cover Danny Amendola a FA wr from Texas Tech .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #96
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Caretaker: Who we gonna crush?
Prisoners team: The guards!
Caretaker: Who we gonna kill?
Prisoners team: The guards!
Caretaker: Who we gonna kiss?
Brucie: [shouting out loud all alone] The guards!
Caretaker: [smile] Gotcha!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #97
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
For a big man he gets great knee bend like a smaller man as opposed to the Herman Munster like posture that guys like Todd Wade has. This enables him to get behind his pads and lower his center of gravity in space to deliver blows like a smaller more athletic body-type can....I'm kinda excited about his long term prospects.

Is it me, or does Gibbs have a severe case of bedhead?

I agree, Vinny. Although your last statement doesn't really portray much enthusiasm as an immediate improvement over Salaam. IMO, Salaam is the Ron Dayne of LT's. I'd hope someone as "athletic" as Brown is would unseat Salaam with ease.

Old 05-12-2008   #98
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
Even our resident blogger knows they're full of crap. 790 is just bad, unlistenable radio, y'all. 97.5 is right on their heels though.
Not to Hijack the thread but what is 97.5 FM? I know 610, 790, and 1150 but not 97.5.
Old 05-12-2008   #99
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Not to Hijack the thread but what is 97.5 FM? I know 610, 790, and 1150 but not 97.5.
ESPN radio
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #100
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think you misheard. On 790 they said Kubiak said he'll be starting with the first team in minicamp and training camp. That doesn't mean he'll be starting on opening day. I think they want to see how well he does and if they don't think he can start immediately then Salaam will be put back as the starting LT. Kubiak didn't say Duane Brown would be the starter at the beginning of the season.

790 (David Dalati to be specific) also said that Salaam wasn't happy about it and that Kubes had to talk to him about it.
Its so he can get reps to have a chance to learn the offense and has a chance to beat out Salaam. Salaam knows everything we do, and doesnt need the reps in mini camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read