Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2008   #41
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown Will Be Starting LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
He played LT for the entirety of the 2002 and 2003 seasons, then was moved to LG to make way for Seth Wand.
YUP.. Thanks for that. I wasn't 100% sure that it was the entire season or not, so I erred towards the lesser..

BTW, how'd that Wand guy work out???

dripping in

Old 05-09-2008   #42
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on facing Mario Williams now compared to four years ago) “It’s a way different Mario than I lined up against four years ago. He’s a beast out there. Like I said, it’s good going against him. It can really help you out on Sundays.”

ha.. i love it
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #43
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
SH is now giving the Texans an A+ for their draft .
oh hush
Old 05-09-2008   #44
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I have no problem with this move. As someone who wasn't a big fan of the pick, this declaration really displays how highly they thought of Brown and gives me some hope that it may indeed ending up being a quality/high value selection. Now that he has been in rookie camp maybe they are now even more sold on the guy and are letting him know that they expect him to be the starting LT from Day One. If they had any doubts, you would doubt they would make such a statement this early in the guy's development/career. Sounds promising.

Go Brown in 2008!
SH are you drunk already? WOW coming on board, glad to see it, shocked but glad to see it.
Old 05-09-2008   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
QB's "feel" the pressure by either hearing or seeing it coming. There is no mythical 6th sense.

The extra read was a poorly framed joke that I am sure Kubiak and Schaub are smart enough to realize they have a rookie at LT.
I'm with you 'cak.. also knowing the guys around you. If the QB has a good feel for Brown, he'll know by the time the QB get's to his 6th step whether he should start moving up in the pocket, or slide to his right, or stay put. It's all about chemistry & communication.

If Matt understands that Duane is going to make Freeney go the long way around, then I think Matt can compensate for that. It happens all the time, it's one of those unspoken things, but it happens.
Old 05-09-2008   #46
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
QB's "feel" the pressure by either hearing or seeing it coming. There is no mythical 6th sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AlUkz4bKJg
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown got beat quite a few times by the edge guys, but it's of the variety of 2 secs or more. He will be helped by the quick release of MS and Sage's experience in getting rid of the ball quickly.

Almost always, he did get a hand on the rusher though.
I'm still a bit worry because the guys in the NFL are even faster.

He does have power and can also get off to the next level pretty nicely for his size.

As for Myers, he looked much better in the 2 games I watch him play at guard alongside with Nalen. Not as good in the 3 games he played at center.
The thing I'm most impressed with Myers is his ability to release to the next level to block in space. And he seems to do that better at Guard.

At center, he's not as efficient at run blocking, having problem with guys who throw a cut at his knees, moving him back from the LOS. And he will need help with big guys like Haynesworth (just as most Centers and Guards).

But I think I like both guys for the long term.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2008   #48
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Charles Spencer was drafted in the third round and was transitioning to LT from guard and he still beat out the competition (that included Ephraim Salaam) to start opening day in 2006.
Excellent point. Need to spread rep and all of that blah-blah.

Salaam is a backup Tackle on most any team. He's the kind of player who's just good enough, but teams are always trying to replace. Stopgap is the term. And stopgap looks pretty good, when you've had worse the initial 4 years of the franchise. Winning teams have quality depth, and that's what Salaam is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm just glad Ron Dayne isn't here to break another promising LT's leg.
The Dayne Train is only a phone call away.
Old 05-09-2008   #49
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I take it all at face value with a little common sense thrown in. Kubes says he giving him time with first team to see what he can handle, I would leave it at that. I honestly think at best Brown will start the season as the swing tackle. You don't risk your QB and possibly your whole season to prove you made the right draft pick. I think if he EARNS the starting spot he will start, the rest is all just conjecture and koolaid. Eventually though he will be a long term answer for us at LT with the help of Gibbs.
Old 05-09-2008   #50
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is good news, no matter how you slice it. We are going to find out quick, fast, and a hurry if this man can do what he was drafted to do. Gibbs and Kubiak are going to have this thing nailed down one way or another, and I suspect the kid just might be very good.

It's an exciting time to be a Texans fan.
Old 05-09-2008   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I honestly think at best Brown will start the season as the swing tackle. You don't risk your QB and possibly your whole season to prove you made the right draft pick. I think if he EARNS the starting spot he will start...
Just over 50% of Tackles drafted in the 1st round during this decade have been opening day starters. For those who think Brown should have been a 2nd rounder, about 40% of the tackles selected in that round have started their 1st NFL game.

One of the 2nd round Tackles who didn't start in initial game is Jacksonville's Khalif Barnes. Barnes didn't start until his 5th game. Whose job did he take? Ephraim Salaam's.
Old 05-09-2008   #52
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think you misheard. On 790 they said Kubiak said he'll be starting with the first team in minicamp and training camp. That doesn't mean he'll be starting on opening day. I think they want to see how well he does and if they don't think he can start immediately then Salaam will be put back as the starting LT. Kubiak didn't say Duane Brown would be the starter at the beginning of the season.

790 (David Dalati to be specific) also said that Salaam wasn't happy about it and that Kubes had to talk to him about it.
I listened to the 6:00 pm ticker and Dalati again said that Duane Brown was the starting LT. They made it sound a lot like he was going to be the guy from week 1. The Texans did this before so it's not that much of a shocker. Salaam does have a good habit of getting beaten out by rooks.
Old 05-09-2008   #53
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I listened to the 6:00 pm ticker and Dalati again said that Duane Brown was the starting LT. They made it sound a lot like he was going to be the guy from week 1. The Texans did this before so it's not that much of a shocker. Salaam does have a good habit of getting beaten out by rooks.
But those "rooks" have all turned out to be studs. Sounds like a good screening process to me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #54
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought we were drafting a LT for the future? if this works out then i'll follow kubiak and smith of a cliff screamin " GOOOOOOOOOO TEXANS"
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #55
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

When you have a proven veteran like Salaam in the backgound it makes it easy to name a guy the starting LT for TC. However, it's harder to say the same thing on opening day. This is a great way to microwave his progression at the NFL level. I noticed he was going against Mario. You don't suppose that was on purpose or anything do you? After several months of Gibbs kicking his backside and Mario bruising his ribs, he might be ready. Barring injury, the worst I see the kid doing is starting after the bye week. He shot a 32 on the test, so he isn't a bag of doorknobs and should be able to pick it up, just a question of how soon and how well IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #56
Polo

Shocker.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.
Old 05-09-2008   #57
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Thats what was originally said earlier . I hope he can take the heat , and be that breakout star LT Texans fans have been dreaming of since day one .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #58
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I imagine he'll get a lot of help from scheme to playcalling. They're probably pretty high on his run blocking and feel that they can cook up some stuff to minimize his pass blocking deficiencies while getting him the necessary experience.
I could not agree more, almost everything I read had good things to say about Browns run blocking and Kubiak has been saying for two years we will run to set up the pass. If, HUGE if A. Green is healthy he was always a good blocker and will help with pass protection. Nastyness and scheme will rule the O'line!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #59
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Worst case scenario? He exhibits a learning curve and becomes the most hated player on the team on this message board.
That is a fact. He'll be Seth Wand II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Raw means raw. Let's all remember that when he gets schooled by some veteran come game time.
Oh, trust me, they won't.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #60
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 103457 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

2 things:

No signed contract = No Play

Spencer might have something say about it; Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
...Spencer was wearing a knee brace during Friday's workout and Kubiak said he'll hold Spencer out of full-squad drills during the minicamp. Spencer will gladly follow Kubiak's orders as long as he's considered for his old job in the fall.

"This is huge, because I went from a starting role to not playing to playing behind guys right now," Spencer said. "I've got to work hard to get back in the starting lineup. I can get in my stance, I can explode. I'm looking forward to contributing."

If it doesn't work out at left tackle, Spencer said he'd be willing to play either guard spot. After two seasons impatiently watching from the sideline, he just wants to play again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read