Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2008   #1
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Duane Brown Will Be Starting LT

I just heard on 790 that Kubiak said Duane Brown will definitely be the starter . They also said hes playing with the first team in mini-camp .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown Will Be Starting LT

If he provides the ability RIGHT NOW to beat out Salaam for our starting LT spot, this is very very good news. Then throw in the fact of how young he is and how much upside he has, how much experience will help him get better- it makes it even better.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He will probably be raw to begin with but I think this is the right decision. LT's need experience. Kubiak and Schaub are smart enough to add an early season "how is the LT doing" read to the progression.
Old 05-09-2008   #4
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Smart decision. Brown has all the physical tools to be a great LT in Gibbs system. The only thing he lacks is the knowledge that comes from expert coaching and experience. There are 4 months until week one of the NFL season. I think Brown is smart and talented enough to soak up the knowledge quickly so that he can be effective as a starter on the first game of the season.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
I just heard on 790 that Kubiak said Duane Brown will definitely be the starter . They also said hes playing with the first team in mini-camp .
That is stunning, really almost too difficult to believe ?
While I've heard many positive comments about Browns upside, and actually
some very good reports about his ability right now to function as a blocker on rushing plays, nowhere have I heard that he's ready to be an NFL passblocker, especially at LT ? Actually just the opposite.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #6
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little concerned about Brown starting from day 1 because of all of the talk about him being so raw and a project. If he can get up to speed and not be too much of a drop off from Salaam to start the year then that's great, more experience. I just don't want him to be a detriment to the team during our very difficult opening season stretch.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #7
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Baptism by fire...I can dig it.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2008   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
some very good reports about his ability right now to function as a blocker on rushing plays, nowhere have I heard that he's ready to be an NFL passblocker, especially at LT ? Actually just the opposite.
I imagine he'll get a lot of help from scheme to playcalling. They're probably pretty high on his run blocking and feel that they can cook up some stuff to minimize his pass blocking deficiencies while getting him the necessary experience.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

He beat him out before they got on the field . Does this mean our draft is now an A+ ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I best most of those reports were from talking heads and not actual NFL coaches, correct?

This is encouraging news, especially this early into off-season workouts.

I'm just glad Ron Dayne isn't here to break another promising LT's leg.
Old 05-09-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Baptism by fire...I can dig it.
unless it is a Qb says David Carr. Actually based on size and physical skills (quick feet and long arms) Brown should do well. If not Old Faithful is right there which is why Salaam was signed. I can't believe that Spencer will not get at least some plays at some point as he did beat out pretty good starter two years ago. Kubes has identified CS as RG. Frye may yet have something to say & then there is my fave of all faves (drum roll please) Jordan SParks! No, that was last year's Idol, I meant Black.
Old 05-09-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought of that ... maybe we can sacrifice Dayne in an injury excorcism .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I thought of that ... maybe we can sacrifice Dayne in an injury excorcism .
There was supposed to be an animal sacrifice, but Dayne barbqued it.
Old 05-09-2008   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I best most of those reports were from talking heads and not actual NFL coaches, correct?

This is encouraging news, especially this early into off-season workouts.

A-freakin-men! As I've said many times before, I'm giddy of the fact he won't be in our backfield anymore.
Old 05-09-2008   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you misheard. On 790 they said Kubiak said he'll be starting with the first team in minicamp and training camp. That doesn't mean he'll be starting on opening day. I think they want to see how well he does and if they don't think he can start immediately then Salaam will be put back as the starting LT. Kubiak didn't say Duane Brown would be the starter at the beginning of the season.

790 (David Dalati to be specific) also said that Salaam wasn't happy about it and that Kubes had to talk to him about it.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #16
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And put countless numbers of buffet restaurants out of business.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care if he's out there at LT in practice as long as there's no contact involving the QBs. But frankly I'd be real anxious if he was on the field even in a preseason game with Schaub or Sage out there, unless this guy has got an Einstinean ability to comprehend, learn, and apply pass-blocking skills.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Start the kid?? What's the worst case scenario (besides a broken leg - knock on wood)? If he struggles to get things figured out, Salaam is a decent (not great) back-up.. Or at least until the ROok feels comfortable.
Old 05-09-2008   #19
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think you misheard. On 790 they said Kubiak said he'll be starting with the first team in minicamp and training camp. That doesn't mean he'll be starting on opening day. I think they want to see how well he does and if they don't think he can start immediately then Salaam will be put back as the starting LT. Kubiak didn't say Duane Brown would be the starter at the beginning of the season.

790 (David Dalati to be specific) also said that Salaam wasn't happy about it and that Kubes had to talk to him about it.
I think you are correct. Kubiak's quote, per houstontexans.com blog:

Quote:
Big mini camp news right off the bat: as of today, Duane Brown is the Texans' starting left tackle. After the team's first mini camp practice of 2008, Texans head coach Gary Kubiak named the first-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech as the current starter over veteran Ephraim Salaam.

"We’ve got to see how far we can bring this kid in the next month, so we put him right in there with the first group today," Kubiak said. "And I know it was very tough on Ephraim, and y’all know I have a great deal of respect for Ephraim and I can understand why it was tough, but as I explained to him, I’ve got to see how far I can bring this young man. But I know Ephraim’s going to do his job and I’m expecting good things from him, but we felt like we had to put this kid to work right away."

Brown worked with the first team for much of practice, facing off against defensive end Mario Williams (who looked even quicker and more aggressive than he did last year).

"He’ll be working with the first group, and that’s the only way we’re going to find out if this kid’s going to get to where we want him to go and how quick he can get there," Kubiak said of Brown. "You draft these kids in the first round to come in, and play and that’s nothing against Ephraim, as I said, and we’ve had this conversation. I understand the difficulty in that (for Salaam), but we as coaches feel like we have to put this kid to work right away."

While it's common knowledge that Brown was selected to eventually take the reigns from Salaam, it's quite a surprise to hear an announcement like this so soon.
houstontexans.com
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #20
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brown worked with the first team for much of practice, facing off against defensive end Mario Williams (who looked even quicker and more aggressive than he did last year).

STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read