Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2004   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I dont think I will find one person on this board, including yourself Beastly and TexansTrueFan, who would say that the 190 yards Julius Jones got last week wasnt a different 190 yards that Davis got. Jones' 190 got safties creeping to the line and allowed Keyshawn-freaking-Johnson to catch a 40 TD pass, Davis' 190 yards didnt allow AJ to get free deep.
IMO, that is drawing a conclusion you desire by selected inferences rather than a look at the whole picture. AJ doesn't play for the Cowboys. Unless you get Barry Sanders on the Texans and an OL, teams are going to be more worried about the damage AJ can do than ANY RB the Texans have. That is not so much a slight to the RB as it is a compliment to AJ. Seriously, you're the coach--who are you more likely to put in man coverage--Keyshawn-freaking-Johnson or AJ?
Old 12-13-2004   #42
The Wal-Mart
Rookie

DD was the offense for the Texans today. He is the only reason the game was as close as it was. It's ridiculous that people here are blaming his production for the loss. When he doesn't produce its get rid of him, when he does produce its he didn't do enough. He had 200 total friggin yards. That's a great day for any running back against any defense. It's not his fault that Carr can't find the open man, receivers aren't running or breaking their routes to get open, and the O-line can't pass protect. In the beginning he was injured and running not to fumble, but now he looks like the franchise back everyone thought he would be. He's certainly better than our feature backs of year one the Stacey Mack/Jonathan Wells duo. I would love to see Andre thrown to 8-10 times per game even when he's covered but that's not gonna happen. One there's no pass protection, Two he's usually doubled, and Three it's gonna get picked like in the Jets game. The problem is the Texans don't spread the ball around. Get Gaffney involved, Miller, Armstrong, Bradford. Throwing to those guys will open up AJ and the passing game should flourish.
The Wal-Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #43
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

we don't spread the ball around enough.

2003 San diego chargers had a back that ran for over 1500 yards and had 100 receptions ... their reward .. 1st pick in the draft.

DD is not even close to LT's status

Julius jones ran for all that and had 3 TD's he was the difference..Teams know they can let us give DD the ball all day long and he isn't going to break one open. oh he'll get his yards, but the defense doesn't have to change their way of playing, just to stop him.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #44
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Fiddy, you've given some good stats on how the Texans have lost when DD had big games. Obviously, we agree that DD should not be the #1 receiver, but you seem to also be saying that even in spite of his efforts on good rushing days, he is somehow hurting the passing game. You eve argued that he hurt the passing game last year, when he was rushing so well, and gave stats to that effect.
I am not saying he is hurting the passing game, he hurts the stats for the passing game yes but what I am saying is teams will give him the yards because he wont kill the oppenent. If Clinton Portis or LT start racking up big yards on the ground, teams bring the safety up and stop the run and that allows big pass plays. They dont stop Davis because Davis isnt a Portis or LT and wont kill a team and teams know that they can give him yards and stop AJ/Bradford/Gaffney/Armstrong/Miller and win the game. If you name every effective offense in the league, they have a game breaking back, we have an average back. Look at the difference Willis McGahee made to the Bills. Henry was a nice grind it out back but McGahee added that extra speed and ever since he started taking the carries Beldsoe has been sacked a whole lot less (4.75 sacks per game during the first four when Henry got the load and only 1.5 sacks a game since McGahee has gotten the load) and the Bills have gotten over .500 after a 0-4 start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
IMO, that is drawing a conclusion you desire by selected inferences rather than a look at the whole picture. AJ doesn't play for the Cowboys. Unless you get Barry Sanders on the Texans and an OL, teams are going to be more worried about the damage AJ can do than ANY RB the Texans have. That is not so much a slight to the RB as it is a compliment to AJ. Seriously, you're the coach--who are you more likely to put in man coverage--Keyshawn-freaking-Johnson or AJ?
Shouldnt Davis at least get defenses putting single coverage on Bradford or Gaffney??? Defenses dont have to do anything out of the ordinary to stop Davis so Gaff and Bradford arent getting the single coverage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Julius jones ran for all that and had 3 TD's he was the difference..Teams know they can let us give DD the ball all day long and he isn't going to break one open. oh he'll get his yards, but the defense doesn't have to change their way of playing, just to stop him.
EXACTLY!!!

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #45
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

DD has shown the explosiveness over the last 2-3 weeks that was missing from him most of the season. He has been playing up to last year's standards so far this year. He isn't a top tier back, but he looks like he can be productive.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #46
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
If Clinton Portis or LT start racking up big yards on the ground, teams bring the safety up and stop the run and that allows big pass plays.
So why do we have more big passing plays than both the Chargers and Redskins?

Texans: 43 completions over 20 yards, 5 comp over 40 yards
Chargers: 34 comp over 20, 7 over 40
Redskins: 19 over 20, 4 over 40
Old 12-13-2004   #47
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75355 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not saying he is hurting the passing game
Yes you are, lol, and I'm starting to believe you. All those cover 2s require dropping back the LBs. If DD were more of a break-away threat, they'd have to stop using the cover 2 so much and go with man coverage to stop him at the line. That still wouldn't help all that much with the pass protection (it would some), but it would sure help with getting receivers open.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2004   #48
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
So why do we have more big passing plays than both the Chargers and Redskins?

Texans: 43 completions over 20 yards, 5 comp over 40 yards
Chargers: 34 comp over 20, 7 over 40
Redskins: 19 over 20, 4 over 40
The reason the Skins dont have many big plays is because Gibbs is still playing like it is the early 90s and is only sending two/three people on pass routes and keeping everyone else in to protect. The Chargers are also leading the AFC West so Marty-ball is working over there. And I remember 3 big plays in the KC game in the second half when we were coming back and Davis was on the sideline with an ankle problem. And then there were a couple to AJ and one to Gaff against the Raiders when Wells was the back. So if you take 6 of those 43 completions away because Davis wasnt the back you are at 37.

Quote:
Yes you are, lol, and I'm starting to believe you. All those cover 2s require dropping back the LBs. If DD were more of a break-away threat, they'd have to stop using the cover 2 so much and go with man coverage to stop him at the line. That still wouldn't help all that much with the pass protection (it would some), but it would sure help with getting receivers open.
He is not hurting the passing game by getting yards, he is hurting the passing game by being the type of back he is. Thats what I am trying to say.

But you are getting what I am saying. Against the Pats, the Colts had to stop Corey Dillion and were scared of him and Brady threw for 335 yards (more than Manning had). Against the Packers, the Colts had to stop Green and Favre went on to throw for 360 yards, etc. Against the Texans, the Colts wanted to have Davis carry the load and Carr only threw for 167.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 12-13-2004   #49
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75355 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, so how do you feel about Jonathon Wells playing and pass blocking? I'm not saying he is a permanent answer, though.
Old 12-13-2004   #50
HJam72
Hall of Fame

DD is not a break away threat. Neither is Wells and I know by that that you don't want him, at least not long term, anyway. Then we've got Hollings. I see hollings getting hurt over and over again, although he does apparently have speed. I also don't see him breaking tackles at all. It looks like we need a new RB more than I realized.
Old 12-13-2004   #51
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OK, so how do you feel about Jonathon Wells playing and pass blocking? I'm not saying he is a permanent answer, though.
I'd rather have Davis back there for this year and then in the draft get Ronnie Brown out of Auburn and then you move Davis to the 3rd down back role, something he will excel at.
Quote:
Then we've got Hollings. I see hollings getting hurt over and over again, although he does apparently have speed. I also don't see him breaking tackles at all. It looks like we need a new RB more than I realized.
Hollings has really let me down. I was leading his bandwagon and then he decides to injury himself every week.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read