Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2008   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Was Sherman A Good Hire?

Just wondering....

I don't think his O line scheme was in line with what Kubiak preferred.

Did it set them back ?

I am sure he had an influence in signing Flanagan, (gone), Gado, (gone), and Green, (jury is still out)...

How did he help?

Have I posed this question before?

Old 05-08-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Was Sherman A Good Hire?

Not a great hire, but I think Sherman's experience coaching in the NFL helped Kubiak and the coaching staff more than it did the players...

Kubiak and Smith make moves like they plan on being around for a while...
Old 05-08-2008   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Just wondering....

I don't think his O line scheme was in line with what Kubiak preferred.

Did it set them back ?

I am sure he had an influence in signing Flanagan, (gone), Gado, (gone), and Green, (jury is still out)...

How did he help?

Have I posed this question before?

Sherman was a good hire in that he served as a mentor for Kubiak, who had no head coaching experience at any level prior to taking the Texans job. Perhaps Kubiak trusted in him a little too much though because the power zone scheme was pretty ill conceived. Regardless, I think that the knowledge that Sherman brought to the team and his input on certain players (Leach in particular) definitely helped the team.
Old 05-08-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Not a great hire, but I think Sherman's experience coaching in the NFL helped Kubiak and the coaching staff more than it did the players...

Kubiak and Smith make moves like they plan on being around for a while...
I think for the reasons highlighted, it was in fact a good hire. I think at the time, he was the only one with any success as a head coach. I am also convinced that it was never intended to be a long term situation.

*EDIT*
What D-Rek said too.
Old 05-08-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad he was here.

Glad he's not here anymore.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was a timely & useful hire for the Texans from a PR perspective to bring in a highly regarded former NFL HC to help the rookie HC Kubiak get started and headed in the right direction. And thats why I'm so puzzled by the Gibbs hire ?
Going into his third year, Kubiak is now established in his own style and has accrued a certain degree of popularity and goodwill here in Houston, so why bring in a father-image type who will be here 2 years at the most, probably just a single year. He's bringing him in to simply teach blocking technique,
just make him an assistant to the line-coach instead of next in command
as "Assistant head coach/offense".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ill second and third everything said here. He was great for Kubiaks coaching education, but personel wise, he kinda set us back.
Old 05-08-2008   #8
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
He's bringing him in to simply teach blocking technique,
There's more to running a ZBS offense than just "blocking"...

Gibb's has extensive expertise in the whole scheme....

In order for the scheme to work RB's, QB's,WR's,TE's, and OL all need to be on the same page...

He'l lprobably be directly working with the OL, but I doubt that Gibbs won't be helping and giving insight to the whole offense..
Old 05-08-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Glad he was here.

That perfectly sums things up. He was a great hire at the time because we needed the things he brought to the table. He'd been a head coach before and he was someone Gary Kubiak knew and trusted. He brought Gary's staff a bit of instant credibility and despite the fact that he preferred a scheme that did not fit well with what Kubiak wanted to do he was easily head and shoulders above the quality of assistant coaches we previously had been able to attract. I know that there's no direct correllation between the two but I have this feeling deep down that if we don't get Mike Sherman to come on board in 2006 then we have a much harder time bringing in Ray Rhodes and Alex Gibbs in 2008. I think it's a natural progression.

Besides, it's not like we wasted 2006. David Carr was still here and Kubiak still needed to evaluate him over the course of that season. Bill Walsh in his heyday wasn't going to be able to install a system that could have won more than 8 games with Carr at QB so the 6-10 mark that Kubiak and Sherman posted was fine. We learned what we needed to learn and moved on.

But it's true that it's good we've moved on. It wasn't a great fit of systems. It just didn't work.
Old 05-08-2008   #10
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Nuff said....

Thanks Sherman for all of your hard work.
Old 05-08-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post

Nuff said....

LMAO! That's awesome! Cold busted! Fatty
Old 05-08-2008   #12
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that picture is as damning as it looks. I'm sure he looked at the guys he was interested in.

Still, it's pretty funny.
Old 05-08-2008   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post

Nuff said....

Although the picture does not tell us a single thing about his qualities, it's still a damn funny picture!
Old 05-08-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Glad he was here.

I agree with this take. Short and sweet, right to the point!
Old 05-08-2008   #15
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think Sherman was an excellent hire.

1) As said before credibility.. Not only did the fans instantly love the Kubiak signing but adding the former HC of a decently successfull GB team as an assistant was a good PR move.

2) Schemes.. I asked Kubiak on air one day after Sherman left if he intended to keep in the hybrid Power/ZBS scheme or move completely to ZBS. His response was along the lines that him and his first OC had installed the system prior to signing Sherman on, and that he would keep it.

Kubiak knows ZBS.. But I think the he knew with the talent pool at hand, all the dead money, and transition period that a full out transition might be a bad plan. So he brough in Sherman who could help build a playbook using both systems. Did it work? Not great.. But we didnt really have a good rusher either of those years either.

Yes Sherman brought in some of his guys. All coaches do it. They built a hybrid system that was transparent. But Kubes also started drafting and bringing in FA's that fit his system better.

As for Gibbs. He is here to help teach the ZBS, to make sure that Kubes succeeds and to make sure that Shanny succedees. Kubiak was as much his prodigy as he was Shanny Sr. He wants to see him win. And between the ralationship that Kubes and Shanny Sr have with Gibbs I am sure that Gibbs want to see Jr excell as well.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think it was a timely & useful hire for the Texans from a PR perspective to bring in a highly regarded former NFL HC to help the rookie HC Kubiak get started and headed in the right direction. And thats why I'm so puzzled by the Gibbs hire ?
Going into his third year, Kubiak is now established in his own style and has accrued a certain degree of popularity and goodwill here in Houston, so why bring in a father-image type who will be here 2 years at the most, probably just a single year. He's bringing him in to simply teach blocking technique,
I agree with Herv on the progression of hirings. I'm not sold on Sherman as a NFL coach at least to me it looked like a lot of Ron Wolfe and Holmgren hangovers that made him successful as he was. Of course that is just my opinion.

I do think bringing him in the fold and willing to work with him brought credibility to a mostly young staff.

Far as Gibbs and Rhodes go I think they are going to build on what Kubiak and Smith want. IMO "the father figure" thing is more towards Kyle then anyone else.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #17
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good thing he's in College Station now.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read