Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2008   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
gray is probably going to the practice squad.
Gray is not eligible for the practice squad.
Old 05-07-2008   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at the last eight games on the schedule...I'd almost bet that they are going to keep an extra DT this season.
Old 05-19-2008   #23
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just doing a preliminary cull of players to try and form a 53 man roster and am stuck at 57 players. This team has some quality depth at long last.
Old 05-20-2008   #24
whiskeyrbl

Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Frye
G: Pitts, Spencer, Weary, Brisiel
C: Myers, Eslinger

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
FB: Leach, Taylor

TE: Daniels, Bruener, Dreesen

WR: Johnson, Walter, A. Davis, J. Jones

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Gray

Defense
DE: Williams, Weaver, Kalu, Cochran
DT: Johnson, Okoye, Okam, Maddox

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson, Moffitt

CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Reeves

S: Demps, Ferguson, Brown, Harrison, Mitchell

P: Turk
K: Brown
LS: Pittman
Old 05-20-2008   #25
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Frye
G: Pitts, Spencer, Weary, Brisiel

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
FB: Leach, Taylor

WR: Johnson, Walter, A. Davis, J. Jones

Defense

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson, Moffitt

CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Reeves

S: Demps, Ferguson, Brown, Harrison, Mitchell

(Emphasis added)

Taylor will not be a FB, and they won't carry more than 6 LB's
Old 05-20-2008   #26
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
(Emphasis added)

Taylor will not be a FB, and they won't carry more than 6 LB's
That's right, per Kubiak in his recap after Day 1. He mentioned that LB'ers need to be interchangeable when you "keep 5 linebackers or 6" so it may be just 5. He also said in the same interview that there were no plans to move Taylor to FB.
I think Black will be the fourth tackle. I assume they will keep trying Frye at guard like they did at the end of last season but I don't know if he can make the 53 at either position.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #27
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Offense:
RB: Ch. Brown, Taylor, Slaton
WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Jones, Anderson
TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener
T: D. Brown, Winston, Salaam, Frye
G: Pitts, Spencer, Brisiel, Weary

Defense:
DT: Okoye, Okam, Johnson, Maddox
LB: Ryans, Greenwood, Adibi, Diles, Thompson
CB: Robinson, Bennett, Molden, Fletcher, Faggins
S: C. Brown, Demps, Earl, Barber

Special Teams:
K: K. Brown
P: Turk (ugh.)

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2008   #28
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

WISHING the 53 man roster this far before the season is a complete excersize in futility.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
WISHING the 53 man roster this far before the season is a complete excersize in futility.
But it gives people something to do in the offseason. If people enjoy doing it, why should you care?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #30
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

updated predictions

Offense
T: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
G: Pitts, Weary, Brisiel

RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor
FB: Leach, Cook

WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, J. Jones, H. Williams

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels

Defense

LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson

CB: Bennett, Reeves, Molden, Faggins, Fletcher, Roberson

S: Demps, Ferguson, Brown, Earl, Harrison

IR: Dunta Robinson

PS: Studdard, Frye, B. Mitchell, D. Walker, Barber, Brink, etc
Old 07-09-2008   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
updated predictions

Defense
LB: Greenwood, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, Diles, Thompson

PS: Studdard, Frye, B. Mitchell, D. Walker, Barber, Brink, etc
So... Colvin doesn't make the team?

And are you sure Studdard has eligibility?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #32
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So... Colvin doesn't make the team?

And are you sure Studdard has eligibility?
I knew I was forgetting something. Colvin should definitely make the team, maybe in place of Bentley or Thompson. This is only Studdard's 2nd year in the NFL and he didnt play much last year so Im assuming he does have practice squad eligibility.
Old 07-09-2008   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is only Studdard's 2nd year in the NFL and he didnt play much last year so Im assuming he does have practice squad eligibility.
Right. The limit for practice squad eligibility is 9 games, and I believe Studdard was only active for 3.
Old 07-09-2008   #34
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, does Kula and Cochran both beat out Bullman ? Especailly when Bullman maybe can play either DE or DT in certain situations.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #35
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

The battle on the offensive line is going to be interesting. New coach, different emphasis with the scheme and a lot of guys coming off injury.

Assuming that Weary can come back healthy, he would have the experience and talent edge on Studdard. However, from everything we have heard, I think Studdard did a lot to help is cause in OTAs. With Weary coming off injury and signed to a short term deal, this could be a situation where youth and upside prevails. I think we have this luxury, in large part, to the emergance of Brisiel

I can't wait for July to end...
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #36
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I could possibly see weary starting on the pup then studdard would make the roster, otherwise studdard for sure gets the ps. I think earl beats out one of the brandons again and colvin beats out kalu or cochran. I think Brown and Molden are the only rookies with a good shot at making the non-ps roster depending on injuries in camp/pre-season. I think RB will be a tough one. pick the best 3 unless slaton is put on the ps. I think it's gonna be a real battle in camp this year to make the team and we could really see alot of surprise cuts. I think if they are all healthy then we only carry 4 safeties and barber on the ps. some good players will have to get cut for sure as we just don't have many "bad" players anymore. Unless he just plain gets beat out in camp we probably keep Faggins for insurance. I hope they make room for Bulman but its gonna be tough.

Last edited by TK_Gamer; 07-09-2008 at 01:46 PM.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Right. The limit for practice squad eligibility is 9 games, and I believe Studdard was only active for 3.
I doubt Studdard is on the P.S.. First, he'd have to clear waivers and he'd be out there for anyone to poach. Also, I think Frye makes the team. That means that Salaam is gone... We can talk a lot about the depth on this team and what the OL will do this year. However, if Salaam is on the team then the OL isn't very good and neither is the depth.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #38
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I doubt Studdard is on the P.S.. First, he'd have to clear waivers and he'd be out there for anyone to poach. Also, I think Frye makes the team. That means that Salaam is gone... We can talk a lot about the depth on this team and what the OL will do this year. However, if Salaam is on the team then the OL isn't very good and neither is the depth.
Salaam has already proven that he can play serviceably at his position in the NFL, which is more than can be said for Studdard or Frye. Im not sure how you can say that Frye makes for a better OT than Salaam. Kubiak even said that they are looking at Frye more as a guard than a tackle.
Old 07-09-2008   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Salaam has already proven that he can play serviceably at his position in the NFL, which is more than can be said for Studdard or Frye. Im not sure how you can say that Frye makes for a better OT than Salaam. Kubiak even said that they are looking at Frye more as a guard than a tackle.

I'm saying that if Salaam is among the 9 best Olmen on this team in the estimation of this staff, then the Oline isn't where we are hoping it is. Salaam is past his prime, certainly lacks the athleticism to excel in the ZBS at this point in his career, and his play certainly won't be improving from last season.

If the staff doesn't feel that either Frye or Studdard should be kept over him with Alex Gibbs there to tutor them, then perhaps we've overestimated the direction of this organization.

If everyone agrees that 3 tackles for this team are: winston, brown, butler... then I think the combination of Pitts, Frye, Briesel can capably handle the depth chart at tackle if catastrophe strikes.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #40
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
However, if Salaam is on the team then the OL isn't very good and neither is the depth.
I'm thinking the opposite. If a guy like Salaam (who has been a starter for 9 of 10 seasons with a 2 year tour of duty under Alex Gibbs) is a backup, you've got pretty good depth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read