Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-06-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Favorites Wanted For Texans

Bored. Put together a list of prospects each year who I hoped would be Texans. Andre the only one selected but thats OK, cause several where already off the board (Ware, L. Brown, Stewart) missed on 02 draft, badly, did not have a 2nd rd. pick (because trading up for Babin- no Bob Sanders) while I'm good with the Mario Williams pick & admit to being wrong in this case. anyway here is my list, whats yours (if your bored too!)

02 Julius Peppers, North Carolina DE 6062 283

03 Andre Johnson, Miami WR 6020 230

04 Bob Sanders, Iowa SS 5083 204

05 DeMarcus Ware, Troy DE/OLB 6040 251

06 Vince Young, Texas QB 6045 229

07 Levi Brown, Penn State OT 6054 323

08 Jonathan Stewart, Oregon RB 5102 235

sorry had to one last time

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Favorites Wanted For Texans

I don't get it, isnt AJ already on the Texans?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I don't get it, isnt AJ already on the Texans?
It is the player that he most wanted in that draft.

AJ was the only one of his guys that the Texans actually drafted.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I interpreted the thread as being "who was your favorite prospect for the Texans in each draft" so I'll play along.

02 - Julius Peppers

03 - Andre Johnson

04 - Sean Taylor

05 - Shawne Merriman

06 - Mario Williams

07 - Adrian Peterson

08 - ehh...I didn't really have a favorite prospect. Jonathan Stewart, I guess.
Old 05-06-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
I interpreted the thread as being "who was your favorite prospect for the Texans in each draft" so I'll play along.

02 - Julius Peppers

03 - Andre Johnson

04 - Sean Taylor

05 - Shawne Merriman

06 - Mario Williams

07 - Adrian Peterson

08 - ehh...I didn't really have a favorite prospect. Jonathan Stewart, I guess.

nice list, like it! Sean Taylor was a huge favorite for that 1st pick I would have considered him if I had thought he would still been available, same with Peterson. Merriman & Ware went 11/12 before the Texans picked @ #13th that was a tough one for sure then to add insult to injury traded up for Babin (they would have selected 40th overall in the 2nd rd.) Bob Sanders was still on the board when the Colts traded up with Pittsburgh #44 that one about killed me I was wrong about Mario, love that pick now but @ the time I wanted to severe ties with Carr (not extend his contract) & draft a franchise QB from Houston.

we did get Andre Johnson who has been everything as advertised. this year I'll take the combination of Duane Brown & Steve Slayton as being = to Jonathan Stewart, if Barber can knock a few heads come in & be a poor mans Bob Sanders this will go down as the greatest draft day deal in Texans history.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-06-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

02 - Julius Peppers

03 - Andre Johnson/Larry Johnson

04 - Sean Taylor/Tommie Harris

05 - Derrick Johnson

06 - Mario Williams/Ko Simpson

07 - Jared Gaither/Darrelle Revis

08 - Ryan Clady/Ray Rice

Out of this impressive list, we only picked two of "my" guys. '02 and '05 were very weak classes overall. I loved Larry Johnson at Penn State and was shocked to actually see a 2000 yard runner with measurables fall that far.
Old 05-06-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

02 - Julius Peppers / Quentin Jammer

03 - Andre Johnson / Terence Newman

04 - Robert Gallery (ugh) / Steven Jackson

05 - Derrick Johnson / Demarcus Ware

06 - Mario Williams / D'Brickashaw Ferguson

07 - Joe Thomas / Michael Griffin

08 - Antoine Cason / Jamaal Charles
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2008   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

2002 - Peppers

2003 - Newman

2004 - Hall

2005 - Jamaal Brown

2006 - Mario

2007 - Landry

2008 - Campbell

I likes me defense guys in the 1st.
Old 05-06-2008   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

02 - Bryant McKie(LT from Minnisota)

03 - ....Charles Rodgers(yeah, that would have sucked)

04 - Deangelo Hall

05 - Derrick Johnson

06 - Mario Williams / Vernon Davis

07 - Peterson/ Patrick WIllis

08 - Brandon Alberts/ DRC

Some good, some bad.
Old 05-06-2008   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't follow the draft too closely until after the 2-14 season.

06 - Mario or Reggie (anyone but Vince)

07 - LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson

08 - Jonathon Stewart or Chris Williams

Been wanting a flashy tailback for a while... I hope Slaton can fill the gap!
Old 05-06-2008   #11
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

02- David Carr(boy did i mess up on this one
03-Andre Johnson(i knew he was going to be a superstar)
04-Deangelo Hall
05-Derrick Johnson
06-Reggie Bush or VY(i'm glad we didn't choose either of them)
07-Adrian Peterson or Amobi(i doubted either of them would fall to us though)
08-Jonathan Stewart, Branden Albert, Rodgers-Cromartie
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

02 - Ed Reed and Aaron Kampman

03 -Jordan Gross(whoops!), Terrell Suggs, Marcus Trufant

04 - Tommie Harris

05 -Jammal Brown, Thomas Davis(whoops!), Derrick Johnson

06 - Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Max Jean-Gilles

07 - Amobe Okoye, Ryan Kalil, Fred Bennett, Jason Hill

08 - Antoine Cason, Red Bryant, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't follow the Draft as closely as I do now till the '06 draft, so here are my top 3 each year at the time of the draft...

2006: Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Reggie Bush
2007: Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, LaRon Landry
2008: Branden Albert, Jerod Mayo, Antoine Cason

But it's hard to argue against the Mario, Amobi, and Duane (trade down) picks...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Didn't follow the Draft as closely as I do now till the '06 draft, so here are my top 3 each year at the time of the draft...

2006: Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Reggie Bush
2007: Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, LaRon Landry
2008: Branden Albert, Jerod Mayo, Antoine Cason

But it's hard to argue against the Mario, Amobi, and Duane (trade down) picks...
simply too many (good) picks. you only get one. since I've followed you for at least those three years I would say your favorites where:

2006: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2007: Patrick Willis
2008: Jerod Mayo

am I wrong? who knows you now. I think you'll be happy with both Brown & Adibi

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 05-07-2008   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember for every year, but I do remember that in 2002 I did want the Texans to draft David Carr.

2003: AJ
2004: Robert Gallery
2005: Derrick Johnson
2006: Reggie Bush
2007: Adrian Peterson
2008: Rashard Mendenhall

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123792 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

02 - Julius Peppers

03 - Andre Johnson / Terrell Suggs / Marcus Trufant

04 - Roy Williams WR / Steven Jackson / Larry Fitzgerald

05 - Derrick Johnson / David Pollack / Demarcus Ware

06 - Mario Williams / Vince Young / AJ Hawk / Vernon Davis

07 - Calvin Johnson / Adrian Peterson / Gaines Adams / Patrick Willis

08 - Derrick Harvey / Rashard Mendenhall
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
02 - Julius Peppers

03 - Andre Johnson/Larry Johnson

04 - Sean Taylor/Tommie Harris

05 - Derrick Johnson

06 - Mario Williams/Ko Simpson

07 - Jared Gaither/Darrelle Revis

08 - Ryan Clady/Ray Rice

Out of this impressive list, we only picked two of "my" guys. '02 and '05 were very weak classes overall. I loved Larry Johnson at Penn State and was shocked to actually see a 2000 yard runner with measurables fall that far.
Do the names Kijana Carter and Curtis Enis ring a bell?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like the exercise would be a little more meaningful if it was limited to folks actually available at the Texans' original draft position. Demarcus Ware would be nice and all, but he was gone for instance before the Texans' pick.
Old 05-07-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
simply too many (good) picks. you only get one. since I've followed you for at least those three years I would say your favorites where:

2006: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2007: Patrick Willis
2008: Jerod Mayo

am I wrong? who knows you now. I think you'll be happy with both Brown & Adibi
wow, your good! lol

I'm so happy with how our last three drafts have turned out. Mario has proved to be such an awesome pick, Amobi can be great, and now hopefully our franchise LT this year. D'Brick hasn't performed as a #1 overall nor Reggie. P-Willie is a stud but I see the importance of having a stud DT next to Mario. Our team is getting so so good.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #20
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seems like the exercise would be a little more meaningful if it was limited to folks actually available at the Texans' original draft position. Demarcus Ware would be nice and all, but he was gone for instance before the Texans' pick.
Using this criteria, I would have preferred:

02 - Peppers

03 - Johnson

04 - Dunta Robinson

05 - Derrick Johnson (no trade) or David Pollack (trade)

06 - Mario

07 - Okoye

08 - Mendenhall (no trade) or Cason (trade)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read