Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2008   #21
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Monday Morning QB (5/5/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
On the surface, maybe. But, the Vikings, Bills, and Jets all have shakier QB situations, all finished below the Texans in record, but now are ranked ahead of the Texans. And I'm not even considering the ranking he gave the Packers, when he acknowledges that his opinion of Aaron Rodgers is based upon one half of football.

So maybe Matt Schaub isn't as good as his half season in '97 showed? He's still better than anything the Vikings, Bills, Jets, and Packers can roll out on Sundays. I firmly believe that the Texans & the Titans are better than any of the teams King ranks #13 - #18.
gotta agree with the QB point but he is probably thinking about the 2008 schedules and giving us a big downtrend for that. I don't agree with Peter.

Ill say we should be above the Bills and Jets, no doubt, but the Vikings had a pretty strong offseason and based on their division, will probably finish with a better record than the Texans. Oh and they have two proven and young NFL RBs whereas we have zero. The Packers is based purely on the fact they made it to the NFC Championship. Losing Favre is disastrous but you can't discount the rest of the squad because one guy left. They should be above us. The Jets and Bills.....not so much. The Bills are a joke and we have twice the talent and the Jets are well the Jets.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 05-05-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not interested in any ranking now. I do think what King said about Texans is dead on. Like was said last season before game 1, we could have a better team and a worse record than year before. I am focusing on the guys selected in draft and FA and those returning from injury. We also may pick up someone after June 1 cuts. I'm optimistic but not picking Ws yet.
Old 05-05-2008   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Don't ya just love rankings in May.
LOL. Agreed.

It's playing football before football is even played...proof that us fans are not the only ones who will dream up ways to "talk football" until it gets here.

That's not a jab at the person who started this thread. Thank you for sharing the info...I was just saying that football is the greatest sport of all time, and even media guys find a way to make sure it stays on or plate 24-7-365.
Old 05-05-2008   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. Agreed.

It's playing football before football is even played...proof that us fans are not the only ones who will dream up ways to "talk football" until it gets here.

That's not a jab at the person who started this thread. Thank you for sharing the info...I was just saying that football is the greatest sport of all time, and even media guys find a way to make sure it stays on or plate 24-7-365.
Oh I know that these power rankings at the beginning of May are for entertainment value only. I happen to disagree with the way he ranks teams, but it's still something to yell about when the news is slow.

Besides, who can't have fun making long winded rants devoted to the stupidity of national sports writers.
Old 05-05-2008   #25
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Oh I know that these power rankings at the beginning of May are for entertainment value only. I happen to disagree with the way he ranks teams, but it's still something to yell about when the news is slow.

Besides, who can't have fun making long winded rants devoted to the stupidity of national sports writers.
I always have liked Peter King (and Bill Simmons). I know some people don't which is fine. We all have our preference. But I do think King knows his football. And Simmons knows his basketball although his articles are typically supposed to be laced with sarcasm.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #26
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I definitely do not agree with his placement of the Texans below teams like the Jets, Bucs, and Saints (for many of the reasons already stated). However, I could see him getting away with putting the Patriots at the top (which, I'm sure he was dying to do) if he simply mentioned the Pats cream puff schedule next fall. I mean they play the both the AFC West and NFC West, along with their own soft division (which King may have been trying to mask by inflating the ranking of the teams within), and only face a total of four playoff teams from last year.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #27
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if you don't think anybody is going to send the heat at Brady like the Giants did, you got another thing coming. The Giants showed a blueprint to beat the Pats and teams in the NFL are always copying other teams. The big question is whether other teams have the personnel and fire to put that consistent pressure on Brady. They certainly won't play the Giants unless its in the Super Bowl...but why not throw the kitchen sink at them? We already know what happens if you don't....
I'm sorry. My wife tells me I'm terrible at sarcasm. I have a moral objection to using the sarcasm smiley, so I guess I come off as a moron.

Of course, didn't Pittsburgh use pressure from the outside to beat Manning too?
Old 05-05-2008   #28
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

When does minicamp start so I can see some new video? I am having to look at 2007 game highlights and interviews, as well as videos of all our draft picks. Why do the Texans start minicamp so late?

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 05-05-2008 at 03:46 PM.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #29
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I always have liked Peter King (and Bill Simmons). I know some people don't which is fine. We all have our preference. But I do think King knows his football. And Simmons knows his basketball although his articles are typically supposed to be laced with sarcasm.
i question kings football knowledge tbh and it has nothing to do with this article (agreed that the SG knows his BB though even if he loves (to write about) the celts which is understandable)..

king seems to get something in his head and runs with it for some reason..
eg.
in 06- i remember he had a running 'am i the only one who thinks david carr is playing excellent?' segment in his article (obviously just looking at stats and not factoring in carr-bage time

in 07 he had a running 'we're witnessing reggies bushes emergence' segment eventhough it was pretty obvious he was tapering off)

btw, im delighted to be @ #19 in his rankings and hope it stays that way until the season starts. every year its the 'out of nowhere' teams (cleveland, titans, jets 2 yrs ago etc) that do well and usually make the playoffs not the ones with the pre-season hype (cards, saints, SF, jets last yr, miami 2 yrs ago etc)

that why i really liked our FA and draft.. they weren't flashy (ala the jets and panthers) so the national media discounts us but most of us who follow the texans closely know they've filled alot of our needs/weaknesses from last year that mean we should improve on last year.

id take being discounted over being hyped all day every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
When does minicamp start so I can see some new video? I am having to look t 2007 game highliights and interviews, as well as videos of all our draft picks. Why do the Texans start minicamp so late?

ive been doing that too.. its good to refresh yourself on how good (and not so good) we were at times last year (CAR especially/DEN/NO)... just need to stay healthy and develop more consistency
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #30
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if you don't think anybody is going to send the heat at Brady like the Giants did, you got another thing coming. The Giants showed a blueprint to beat the Pats and teams in the NFL are always copying other teams. The big question is whether other teams have the personnel and fire to put that consistent pressure on Brady. They certainly won't play the Giants unless its in the Super Bowl...but why not throw the kitchen sink at them? We already know what happens if you don't....
I think he meant that there's not another team that can put that kind of preasure on Brady. The
Giants didn't lay out a "blue print", they just have the personnel to execute it. I remember all season long last year while Brady was having his record setting season, people were saying just about any QB could put similar numbers up if they had the type of pass protection that Brady had. The Pats have a tremendous offensive line, the Giants have a tremendous Dline. But yeah, teams are gonna try to do what the Giants did, that doesn't mean they will have similar results.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #31
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

that why i really liked our FA and draft.. they weren't flashy (ala the jets and panthers) so the national media discounts us but most of us who follow the texans closely know they've filled alot of our needs/weaknesses from last year that mean we should improve on last year.
You know if we were a perennial playoff team, our draft would be considered great.
Old 05-05-2008   #32
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
That is the problem with most national sprts writers there is no way that they are consistant. the only one I can think of at the time that is sonsistant is Michael Smith of espn.
Isn't it funny how he is getting less and less camera time on BSPN as well?
Old 05-05-2008   #33
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Don't ya just love rankings in May.
Exactly. I ran few copies off to the printer, just in case I run out of toilet paper.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
In King's defense, while I haven't looked at the schedule yet, it's not likely that they play the Giants a whole lot this season. And really, nobody's going to try and pressure them the way the Giants did, are they?
Someone else might've beat me to it, but I would think EVERYBODY will try copy the Giants gameplan in the SB.
Old 05-05-2008   #35
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Exactly. I ran few copies off to the printer, just in case I run out of toilet paper.
Ouch that might leave a rash.
Old 05-05-2008   #36
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Someone else might've beat me to it, but I would think EVERYBODY will try copy the Giants gameplan in the SB.
Not many, if any have the DL talent that the Giants can muster. There front 7 is special.

Other teams may try but they will just get lit up as blitzers are picked up and Brady goes down field into sparse coverage.
Old 05-06-2008   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
two words of warning:
"paper cuts"
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #38
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
That is the problem with most national sprts writers there is no way that they are consistant. the only one I can think of at the time that is sonsistant is Michael Smith of espn.
Smith is a true form Texan fan and when it came up at the draft who would take the AFC south Houston didn't come into the picture until he said we were on the rise, and even then the conversation switched right back to the Colts/Jags debate.

Now, as you can see, i'm a fan and his segment on McFadden was in-depth segment rather than the judgemental bull we saw in the preceeding weeks, but calling him the only consistant writer is a little short sighted for i've seen quite a few good segments on ESPN (of course they are outweighed by complete crap but come on.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #39
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i wonder where he'll rank us after we beat the steelers?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #40
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin229 View Post
Peter King worships everything from Boston. What a surprise, he's from Massachussetts.

I can't stand him.
Peter King predicted the Giants to beat the Patriots in the SuperBowl. That's pretty impartial.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read