Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2008   #1
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brown vs Staley

I think this is a pretty even match . I think Staley was the 3rd OT taken last year at #28 .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=16538

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=11685

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-03-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brown vs Staley

OK ... somebody .

If you're picking and Staley and Brown are both there , who do you take ?
Old 05-04-2008   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno Earl. first you tell me how many Haynesworth shots Matt has left in the tank ?
Old 05-04-2008   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
OK ... somebody .

If you're picking and Staley and Brown are both there , who do you take ?
Whichever one Alex Gibbs says he wants.
He's the coach, not me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

It'd be a toss-up, but my guess is that Staley would probably be the pick just looking at 40 times.

But who knows what the tape says, because I have seen none on Joe Staley.
Old 05-04-2008   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown. I heard he plays with a more nasty demeanor.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I dunno Earl. first you tell me how many Haynesworth shots Matt has left in the tank ?
And this means what Pete ?

I think I would take Brown over Staley . I think he has less bust factor because he played in a good conference plus he's a little thicker .

I would most certainally take Brown a 3rd and 6th over the 7th pick in this years draft that they gave the Pats for Staley
Old 05-04-2008   #8
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
And this means what Pete ?

I think I would take Brown over Staley . I think he has less bust factor because he played in a good conference plus he's a little thicker .

I would most certainly take Brown with a 3rd and 6th over the 7th pick in this years draft that they gave the Pats for Staley
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I'm thinking too. The Niners gave up lot for a guy who wasn't going against elite competition. At least with Brown, you know he's had to consistently go against Mario Williams, Phillip Merling, Chris Long, and Calais Campbell.
Old 05-04-2008   #9
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i know brown is in a better situation
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I'm thinking too. The Niners gave up lot for a guy who wasn't going against elite competition. At least with Brown, you know he's had to consistently go against Mario Williams, Phillip Merling, Chris Long, and Calais Campbell.
And against Chris Ellis in practice plus against Jackson from LSU who is projected as a top 5 player in the 09 draft.
Old 05-04-2008   #11
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
And against Chris Ellis in practice plus against Jackson from LSU who is projected as a top 5 player in the 09 draft.
Word. So as you can clearly see, Duane Brown is the superior pick.
Old 05-05-2008   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait a minute. I thought we drafted Reggie Bush? Who is this Brown? Anyway, I am going back to sleep. Wake me at kick off, please.
Old 05-05-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I did not know the LT would be blocking a DT who lines up over the RG, but at least you asked a question that has absolutely nothing with the players being spoken of.
Old 05-05-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Staley was clearly the higher rated (by draft services) prospect coming into the NFL. Yes we've heard all the expert "reach" comments concerning Brown or for the 49ers giving up a #1 pick (08-#7th overall selection) to trade up. from a value standpoint Duane Brown is clearly the winner, I've listened to all these so called experts but rarely if ever do they mention how important the mental make-up is in the process & I'm not talking about wonderlick. its about the mental toughness to challenge yourself to get better while taking the abuse/coaching from Gibbs.

If Gibbs was with the Texans last year would he have enough influence to tell Kubiak/Smith to pass on a potentially great interior linemen for a potentially great Left Tackle? we'll never know, I think it worked out pretty fine assuming Schaub is fully recovered, now its Amobi's turn to

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Whichever one Alex Gibbs says he wants.
He's the coach, not me.
And to answer the Haynesworth shots Schaub takes, I think it may be one before they begin to wear his knee out over ad over again.

Last edited by BigBull17; 05-05-2008 at 02:25 PM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

saw this and since its the most recent brown thread....

Quote:
54… That’s the number of sacks given up by Virginia Tech in the 2007 college football season, compared to 29 the previous year. The guy manning the all-important left tackle position for the Hokies last season? Duane Brown – the former tight end who was probably as shocked as anyone to hear his name called by the Houston Texans in the first round of the NFL Draft. Athletic he may be, but Brown is still a huge reach. The guy is as raw as they come and needs to get much stronger to be truly effective at the position. The biggest worry for me if I’m Houston is not the lack of strength (that is to be expected for a converted tight end), it’s the fact that Brown struggled against speed rushers in college. That should not be the case for one so athletic. This could prove to be a bad move for the Texans and Brown is probably already feeling the pressure to perform at a high level.
dont shoot the messenger
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
When did he play against Mario? FWIW - he did play against some top talent as listed, but he also struggled in those matchups. Check the numbers. He shut no one down and those guys all got over on him. I think each guy had a sack and some TFL in the matchup. That aint exactly 1st Round grade production. Hopefully the coaching staff can do something with this prospect because he looks to have the physical tools but does he have the skill set, heart, and desire?

sure hope so, because its obvious the Texans had him highly coveted as other teams have also expressed post-draft
Old 05-05-2008   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

dont shoot the messenger
Yeah, cause we all know that all sacks given up by any team are solely the fault of the O-line...right?

The dub this the "David Carr Sack theory".
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #19
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

dont shoot the messenger
Some background on these numbers: the Hokie offensive line was in a state of flux early in the season--their starting RT (Ed Wang) was hurt, so they played some players (but not Brown) out of position to cover. The line played terribly until Wang returned and everyone else went back to their regular spots. In particular, Glenn Dorsey ate the interior line alive when LSU mauled the Hokies early on--but he was not the only one: ECU and Ohio (University, not State) gave the Hokie offense fits.

To make matters worse, VT alternated between a human statute (Sean Glennon) and their requisite Michael Vick clone (true frosh Tyrod Taylor) at QB. Glennon settled down and played well as the season went on, but he has about zero pocket presence. As for Taylor, scrambling is about the only thing he could do consistently, and he ran himself into quite a few sacks.

Now, I don't have the numbers on how many sacks were attributable to Brown (I've seen someone post 8.5 here). Chris Long got him twice, but on one of them, Brown was clearly expecting help from his LG but none was coming.

Still, the Hokie OL and overall offense improved dramatically as the year went along. They backslid in the bowl loss to Kansas, but (file this tidbit away "for entertainment purposes") the Hokies are invariably a disappointing bowl team.

We have some work to do with Brown, but the kid as all the tools. If we can squeeze one more year out of Salaam, we may have LT solved for a long, long time.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #20
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
When did he play against Mario?
He went against Mario while playing RT. If I remember correctly, it was his first game playing Tackle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read