Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004   #61
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,844
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Good and bad as examples IMO. Watson has played in a grand total of one game this year, contributing 2 receptions. Hartsock has "played" in 13 games and has 0 receptions. The Patriots really don't use their TE's much as receivers, although the Colts certainly do and have split about evenly between Pollard and Clark.
The Patriots planned to but Watson only played in one game due to being on IR. Hartsock may not have any receptions but Pollard is a FA this year and they didn't draft him to make a contribution this year.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #62
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,531
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The Patriots planned to but Watson only played in one game due to being on IR. Hartsock may not have any receptions but Pollard is a FA this year and they didn't draft him to make a contribution this year.
Didn't realize Watson was on IR, but Hartsock to me is a good example of either a team believing they have the luxury of letting the guy sit a year (which we don't have just because I can't stand the threads on the blown pick) or a good argument could be made that Indy would have been better served by drafting someone for D this year like--Randy Starks, Matt Ware, Derrick Strait, etc. that were taken shortly thereafter. All that said, I am not anti-TE by any means--but through FA/draft would like to see a center, ILB and another CB also as priorities.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #63
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,844
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I'm not so sure that you have to play a guy his first year in order to consider it a good pick for that particular draft. You don't want to wait till the last min and play rookies because you are forced too. The Colts have a good D line. Why draft the lazy Starks when you know you are losing Pollard in a year? He fell to the 3rd round for a reason...and it wasn't because he wasn't talented. Keith Bulluck sat behind Favors for two years and guys like Jason Gildon sat for two years while learning their respective systems. I was reading in another thread that Mistril declared the Cowboys "set back" earlier in the year because they didn't draft Steven Jackson because he could have played earlier than the injured Jones. I don't understand that kind of thinking.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #64
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,040
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Here is what he have @ TE...

One guy who had one good year catching the ball, and is a below average blocker.

One guy who was once regarded as an above blocker, but is now is closer to avergae because of age and injury and has always been a belwo average pass catcher.

One guy who last live game action was the 2003 Senoir bowl because of injuries. when he lines up in a preseason game it will 2.5 years since live game action.

One guy obtained off the practive squad who has not been regularly activiated.

IMO, going into the off-season the only position in worse shape is the DL. i zero issues with a FA acquisition and/or a high draft pick. It is not a luxury.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #65
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,531
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm not so sure that you have to play a guy his first year in order to consider it a good pick for that particular draft.
I absolutely agree with this statement--hence the fact that I made a joke about it. In fact, hopefully it will be increasingly difficult for rookies to break into the starting lineup.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #66
ArlingtonTexan
Moderator
 
ArlingtonTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 47
Posts: 6,040
Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I absolutely agree with this statement--hence the fact that I made a joke about it. In fact, hopefully it will be increasingly difficult for rookies to break into the starting lineup.
even though there are 'need' positions for the Texans, i don't think that there is one where a rookie automatically starts as it has been the 1st three years.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #67
TheOgre
Hall of Fame
 
TheOgre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back in the cellar again
Posts: 3,739
Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
even though there are 'need' positions for the Texans, i don't think that there is one where a rookie automatically starts as it has been the 1st three years.
I agree. If we get a NT and/or C in the draft, they probably won't start in 2005. Those are still areas that need serious draft consideration.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2004   #68
wags
Hall of Fame
 
wags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX and FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,601
Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer
Default

Apparently the Texans had Spears working at left tackle some in practice. Seth Wand is still the starter though.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1415
__________________
A good argument is always spoiled by someone who knows what they're talking about

Last edited by wags; 12-16-2004 at 06:07 PM.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,844
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
I also agree completely with Fiddy that they just need time. It takes at least one season for an O-line to gel.
Bingo

Most people on this message board want to give Carr 4 years to develop but want to give the line one or two years to develop before we call for their heads (we have players in new positions in 4 of the 6 line positions if you include the TE). I guess Carr gets a special exemption from the fans because he is prettier than the linemen. Everyone who posts over and over about being patient with Carr needs to do the same with the O-line if they want any credibility. Both the line and Carr will have plenty of time to work out their problems by next year.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #70
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

A lot of people say we are a one dimensional team. That's because we have a one dimensional coaching staff. I laugh at all of the nonsense being posted here. It comes from the heart, and I understand that, but nobody can see the tree for the forest. You take an outstanding O-line coach and we have a SB line. I'm sorry, but the answer is as simple as that. The players are confused and it shows. They don't know what their assingments really are. I've stated it many times, and many others have in so many words, and that is DOM only wants to play smash mouth football with a team that is incapable of playing that way. He has changed his offensive scheme to be that type of a team, except he doesn't have the personnel to play that type of game. They draft a QB whose forte is passing, not handing off the ball to a running back. They draft an extemely talented WR by the name of AJ and he wastes away in an anemic offense. Why does everyone think theses coaches are Saints? On second thought, may be they are. I know if I were the owner I would be less than joyous watching the lack luster performances I'm seeing on the field. There is one player they put through hell before the season began and he's the only consistant player on the ball club and thats JJ. He has the luxury of only having to play a few times each game. He consistantly does his job. I think most of you are going to be unpleasantly surprised at how badly we loose to the Bears and the rest of the teams we play this year. There is no heart and soul left in this team. This team has been badly mismanged and miscoached. Again you play a style of ball that fits the personnel you have, and you don't dream and play like you have Bettis.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #71
rhc564
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 173
Rep Power: 11 rhc564 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
A lot of people say we are a one dimensional team. That's because we have a one dimensional coaching staff. I laugh at all of the nonsense being posted here. It comes from the heart, and I understand that, but nobody can see the tree for the forest. You take an outstanding O-line coach and we have a SB line. I'm sorry, but the answer is as simple as that. The players are confused and it shows. They don't know what their assingments really are. I've stated it many times, and many others have in so many words, and that is DOM only wants to play smash mouth football with a team that is incapable of playing that way. He has changed his offensive scheme to be that type of a team, except he doesn't have the personnel to play that type of game. They draft a QB whose forte is passing, not handing off the ball to a running back. They draft an extemely talented WR by the name of AJ and he wastes away in an anemic offense. Why does everyone think theses coaches are Saints? On second thought, may be they are. I know if I were the owner I would be less than joyous watching the lack luster performances I'm seeing on the field. There is one player they put through hell before the season began and he's the only consistant player on the ball club and thats JJ. He has the luxury of only having to play a few times each game. He consistantly does his job. I think most of you are going to be unpleasantly surprised at how badly we loose to the Bears and the rest of the teams we play this year. There is no heart and soul left in this team. This team has been badly mismanged and miscoached. Again you play a style of ball that fits the personnel you have, and you don't dream and play like you have Bettis.
Charlie Weiss, the new Notre Dame Coach/ex Patriots OC, made some
interesting statements ( can be found on the Notre Dame web site ) at
his press conference when asked what kind of offense the Fighting Irish
will have next year. Weiss's answer was that it depended on the personnel
he had but there were 3 basic themes that depended upon where the
strength of the offense was-- strength could be tight ends, or running
backs, or wide receivers. His offense will feature whatever group provides
the best oppurtunity to win. He only mentioned the OL as the remaining 5
players that make up an offense but-basically-will not dictate what offense
will be run. He also had interesting comments about excuses!!
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #72
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

The grass is always greener. I remember when everyone in Cleveland wanted Belichick ran off because he didn't know what he was doing. I remember when everyone wanted Butch Davis because he was the next coming of Tom Landry.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #73
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame
 
rittenhouserobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,100
Rep Power: 12 rittenhouserobz is ridin' the pine
Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz
Default

I just have a small question. Why would they draft a stud WR like AJ, then try to instill a blocking scheme that helps build a run dominated offense? I think we did AJ a disservice by drafting him and putting him in this system that accentuates running the ball as well as Carr. We Should have drafted completely differently. OL, DL, RB, LB's should have our focus. Any QB can handoff and throw dump passes. I honestly do not believe right now there is a system that uses AJ correctly. Mike Martz or Tony Dungy would have AJ with 1400 yards and 12 TD's right now. Sorry I am tired of watching games where I here the annoucer say "Why aren't they getting it to Andre Johnson? He has to get into the offense more for them to win." Does anybody ever remember hearing the announcers say that?
__________________
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Ben Franklin

Last edited by rittenhouserobz; 12-17-2004 at 08:32 AM.
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #74
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,514
Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Well, this may be the first time a 3rd year expansion team has had a receiver like AJ. They're O-line isn't dominating at anything at all. This is NOT the production they want from their line.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #75
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 7,702
Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Sorry I am tired of watching games where I here the annoucer say "Why aren't they getting it to Andre Johnson? He has to get into the offense more for them to win." Does anybody ever remember hearing the announcers say that?
More than likely, the announcers don't have any more of a clue to what's going on than we do.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #76
Chance_C
Site Contributor
 
Chance_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Livingston Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 1,520
Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
More than likely, the announcers don't have any more of a clue to what's going on than we do
Evidently they don't.
And to all you criers for AJ, how about 71 catches and a possible pro bowl appearance. Yeah, I guess we did him a disservice.

And Ibar, how about posting about something other than how much you can't stand our coaches. I guess by your terms anyone could be our QB because all they have to do is hand the ball off. Heck, let's just phone up Ryan Leaf. I may not know what I'm talking about most of the time, but your redundant ***** posts are getting old. Get a clue.
__________________
I'm a hell bent 100% Texan till I die...
Chance_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #77
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,514
Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
More than likely, the announcers don't have any more of a clue to what's going on than we do.
I think the coaches around the league may be the only ones who do know more than some of you guys. A lot of the so-called experts are clueless.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #78
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 14,742
Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C
And to all you criers for AJ, how about 71 catches and a possible pro bowl appearance. Yeah, I guess we did him a disservice.
Totally outside your point and everything but when I read this I thought "You know, in a few years we're going to be thinking that 71 catches makes for a down year for AJ" and that was a cool mental picture that popped into my head. I just had one of those "Damn he's going to be good!" moments.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #79
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C
Evidently they don't.
And to all you criers for AJ, how about 71 catches and a possible pro bowl appearance. Yeah, I guess we did him a disservice.

And Ibar, how about posting about something other than how much you can't stand our coaches. I guess by your terms anyone could be our QB because all they have to do is hand the ball off. Heck, let's just phone up Ryan Leaf. I may not know what I'm talking about most of the time, but your redundant ***** posts are getting old. Get a clue.
My posts are redundant, because the coaches are the problem. By the way Ryan Leaf probably would do well with this offense and would be a lot less expensive.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #80
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame
 
Ibar_Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,219
Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc564
Charlie Weiss, the new Notre Dame Coach/ex Patriots OC, made some
interesting statements ( can be found on the Notre Dame web site ) at
his press conference when asked what kind of offense the Fighting Irish
will have next year. Weiss's answer was that it depended on the personnel
he had but there were 3 basic themes that depended upon where the
strength of the offense was-- strength could be tight ends, or running
backs, or wide receivers. His offense will feature whatever group provides
the best oppurtunity to win. He only mentioned the OL as the remaining 5
players that make up an offense but-basically-will not dictate what offense
will be run. He also had interesting comments about excuses!!
Thanks for the post, because this has been the heart and soul of many of my posts. Many fans keep posting the things they see wrong including Vinny. However, the solution to all of the problems are a new set of coaches, some new players, and yes, we are going to have to start over. Why, because injuries along with coaching have desimated this team for at least another 2 to 3 years if we are lucky. Injuries have hurt Capers defensive system and rendered it usless. That's unfornuate, but Casserly and Capers were expecting a greater length of service out of some key older and experienced defensive players. That plan blew up with the injuries. The end result is that they must retrench and start new. Unfortunately, that alone will take at least two years and may be longer.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger