Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2004   #41
big sarge
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 big sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbig sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think that if Carr is beat up for another season, he might just start getting the screw it all attitude. I mean hell I wouldn't piss on fire to put my o-line out if they aren't going to do there freakin jobs and block like they r supposed to. I mean c'mon guys, I know they don't get paid much, but it's a hell of alot more than what I make and my job is 10 times as painfull and dangerous.
big sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004   #42
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Wand does not have an issue with his feet quickness. he needs more strength and aggressivenss. also, the LT in most offense will have the highest sack total because they are normally facing the opposition's best pas pusher. Wand has not been embarrassing on the left side considering its his first year as a starter. If dominate LT type comes available to the Texans then yeah go get him, but about half the team in the NFL have a worse situation at LT than the Texans.
Can I take this back???
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004   #43
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Can I take this back???
I thought you pretty much nailed this:

Quote:
Wand does not have an issue with his feet quickness. he needs more strength and aggressivenss
Who knew Freeney would be stronger than Wand? I don't think even Freeney realized that until the 2nd half.
Old 12-13-2004   #44
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think i've figured out the line problems. With Joe Pendry on board the Texans have switched to a zone blocking scheme.

This year the focus is on the zone part.
Next year they learn to block.

Then, it's time to celebrate.

Seth Wand did a wonderful impersonation of the ticket takers at the gates. Although, they do sometimes slow people up a bit.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #45
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

"Seth Wand did a wonderful impersonation of the ticket takers at the gates. Although, they do sometimes slow people up a bit."

Man........thats cold.

cac
Old 12-14-2004   #46
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We cannot afford to be below average on the line much longer. Carr is regressing as a result of the poor line play. He is developing bad habits as a result of running for his life. McKinney is definitely a liability. I hope he is gone by the start of the 2006 season. I am not convinced that Wand will get much better either. Here are the areas we need to consider addressing this offseason:

1. NT - Payne is not the same player he was before the injury. It seems like the best 3-4 teams have dominant NT's. We really MUST have one to make this work.
2. Center - McKinney isn't getting it done. Replacing him may improve the play of the guards.
3. TE - We cannot count on Joppru to be healthy. Miller and Bruener are 1-dimensional. We need to give Carr better short options than just DD and occasionally Miller.
4. ILB - Foreman is great at making a tackle 5-10 yards downfield. He is just too slow.
5. LT - Wand is a project. If we have a shot at a better LT in this draft, do we pass it up? IMO it is the most important position on offense after QB.
6. WR - Bradford is probably gone. Do we have a speedster option (Starling?) other than AJ when he leaves?
7. RB - Are we sold on DD as our back? He has looked good the last 3 weeks but where was he during the rest of the season? Hollings is looking like a bust (although the verdict isn't in quite yet). Wells is nothing but a solid backup.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
We cannot afford to be below average on the line much longer. Carr is regressing as a result of the poor line play. He is developing bad habits as a result of running for his life. McKinney is definitely a liability. I hope he is gone by the start of the 2006 season. I am not convinced that Wand will get much better either. Here are the areas we need to consider addressing this offseason:

1. NT - Payne is not the same player he was before the injury. It seems like the best 3-4 teams have dominant NT's. We really MUST have one to make this work.
2. Center - McKinney isn't getting it done. Replacing him may improve the play of the guards.
3. TE - We cannot count on Joppru to be healthy. Miller and Bruener are 1-dimensional. We need to give Carr better short options than just DD and occasionally Miller.
4. ILB - Foreman is great at making a tackle 5-10 yards downfield. He is just too slow.
5. LT - Wand is a project. If we have a shot at a better LT in this draft, do we pass it up? IMO it is the most important position on offense after QB.
6. WR - Bradford is probably gone. Do we have a speedster option (Starling?) other than AJ when he leaves?
7. RB - Are we sold on DD as our back? He has looked good the last 3 weeks but where was he during the rest of the season? Hollings is looking like a bust (although the verdict isn't in quite yet). Wells is nothing but a solid backup.

Oh I don't know Ogre. Wand is obviously playing like the rookie which for all intents and purposes I still think of him as. He's in his second year but we all knew he had a big jump to make coming from "The University of Nowhere Important" to the NFL. He was lacking experience against quality defenses, strength, and coaching. He's getting those and I think he'll get better.

Carr is showing signs of regression because of this and I don't know what you do to stop that from happening. We're going to play the rest of this season with the line just like it is so he's got three more weeks of this kind of pass protection before a well deserved vacation. The best thing for Carr right now (though maybe it won't be the best thing for the win column) would be for the Texans to spend these three weeks focusing on the running game. It's started to come around a little bit lately. Davis needs to keep it up and the line needs as much work as they can get. We need to take as much of the load off of Carr as we can for now and hopefully come back next season improved.

On your points

1. I'm all for drafting someone to push Payne or spell him as necessary if a player fitting the bill is available when we pick. I think Payne will be back to his old self next season so I'm not worried so much about him as I am about what we do after he's gone. He won't last forever and all it would take would be one more real bad knee injury to put us back where we were in 2003. We need someone behind Payne who can do the job.

2. Yes to that one too. McKinney needs to at least have his eventual replacement waiting in the wings. I'd like to see the Texans find another center because I too think McKinney isn't getting the job done. If we need to draft one (and if there's one the Texans like) then he won't probably be ready to take over for McKinney until 2006 but that's fine. By then the guards on either side of him will be better. If we can aquire one through free agency then that's a quicker fix but more expensive. Either way though McKinney has to go.

3. Joppru has had one terrible career so far and the Texans need a real TE badly. Miller and Bruener are both good at what they do but niether one does it all. This is a tough call I think. Do the Texans spend a pick on another TE or do they wait and see if Joppru is going to be ready to get to work. 2 years is a lot of time to wait for your draft pick to get in a game. I bet the Texans give him another camp to see if he can do it. If he breaks down during the course of next season though (assuming he makes it out of camp without another problem) then I think they have to be prepared to move forward after that and find someone else.

4. ILB, yeah get me one of those in the draft. In reality Wong is the inside linebacker we need. We should be starting Babin, Sharper, Wong, and Peek right now and hopefully we will be spending a lot of time in that combination the rest of the season. Wong came here to play on the outside so he may not be happy inside but that's where he belongs and where the team needs him. If he doesn't want to adjust to that then it's time to find another ILB.

5. Wand is the LT. He needs to have Bruener over there every down to hold his hand but he needs to play if he's ever going to get past being a project. I don't think we need a LT right now for anything other than depth. If the Texans spend a first day pick on the o-line I want to see it be a center.

6. Bradford is probably gone I agree. It's possible he doesn't get the bites in free agency though and he could be back. There's an outside chance I think. If he isn't (and we should be thinking he won't be) then yeah Kendrick Starling is a 4.39 guy who could do what Bradford does. Fast enough? Yep. Inconsistent hands? Yep. Sounds like he can do everything Bradford does. Also we've got Sloan Thomas on our practice squad. Not as fast but he's available. I wouldn't have a problem with the Texans drafting another speed guy though in the upcoming draft.

7. Unless a guy the Texans like better falls into their laps I bet that Domanick Davis is going to be the starter when the 2005 season opens. Just you wait and see. He's going to get himself a hundred plus yards in the rest of our games this year, finish with a little past 1,100 yards and 11-12 touchdowns and that will be just enough to buy him another season up front. His poor performance this year will be attributed to the new blocking scheme and by the time the team goes to camp people will be talking about how he's going to get 1,500 or 1,600 yards in 2005.

Will he get it? Probably not but who knows. If he doesn't I don't think it's going to be because he isn't fast enough, big enough, or good enough at breaking tackles. DD's all of those things. It will be because he can't stay healthy long enough to do it and the Texans know this by now. They'll draft a back this year and maybe sign another free agent running back but they won't be handing the job to them. they'll be for insurance. Even if they do get to select a kick butt back he's going to have to beat out Davis for the job and that's not going to be real easy while Davis is healthy. He won't stay healthy long though and that will be their chance to grab the spot.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2004   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Up and down game today. They were horrible at times and they had nice blocks at times. On balance it wasn't solid. I just don't understand why we have Wand on Freeney one-on-one so much.

It's unbelievable! They have one playmaker on defense and we allow him the opportunity to make plays on every important 3rd down. I saw one chip- it was quite effective by the way... and I didn't see any double teams on passing plays. It was almost enough for me to start a "Fire Palmer" thread. I've been very supportive of him, but it's inconceivable that, in the 2nd meeting of the year against the Colts, we have so few packages that incorportate a double team on Dwight Freeney!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #49
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

It sounds like you agree with me on the weak areas but not necessarily on the remedies. There is no doubt that we likely won't fix all of these areas in one offseason. The bare minimum I think we need a center and a NT.
Old 12-14-2004   #50
wiley2002
Veteran

The Texans have had their share of bad luck on the o-line but with us playing some awful teams down the line, I think we may have three wins in a row. A bit worried about the Jacksonville game.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #51
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The bare minimum I think we need a center and a NT.
Gotta add TE to the bare minimum list. They really need to find out about Joppru and I was hoping they'd have activated him instead of going the IR rout with him as they did. Some had said this will give him a chance to start
next summer in camp with a clean slate/opportunity to make the team, but we don't have the luxury of that kind of time to wait to see if Joppru pans out. Therefor I figure they will draft or pick up a TE from FA and have Joppru compete with him. Under that scenario we could end up with redundancy at TE - bad management for us because its a waste of precious resources.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #52
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we could wind up with two potential starter type TE's that have consumed first day picks, but at this point I don't think we have much choice. If they both prove to be starter quality, we can probably recover our draft pick cost with a trade in a year or two.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Under that scenario we could end up with redundancy at TE - bad management for us because its a waste of precious resources.
Kinda like the redundancy the Patriots had when they drafted TE's in the first round twice in the last three years? (Ben Watson 31st overall and Daniel Graham 21st overall), or perhaps the Colts drafting 2 first day TE's when they already had Pollard? (Ben Hartsock 68th overall and Dallas Clark 24th overall pick both in the last two years). Just between these two teams they have used 4 first day picks on TE's in the last 3 years.

We wanted to run a two TE scheme. Drafting another TE is not out of the question nor would it be foolhardy if a good one is available even if Joppru becomes a pro bowler. One of our biggest problems is our lack of offensive diversity. Having a couple of one-dimensional TE's isn't helping our team score points.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #54
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119840 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

well as things stand right now our biggest problem on offense is our line. one of the easiest ways to help out with pass protection is by adding another lineman...one who happens to be eligible to catch a pass wouldnt be so bad.
Old 12-15-2004   #55
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kinda like the redundancy the Patriots had when they drafted TE's in the first round twice in the last three years? (Ben Watson 31st overall and Daniel Graham 21st overall), or perhaps the Colts drafting 2 first day TE's when they already had Pollard? (Ben Hartsock 68th overall and Dallas Clark 24th overall pick both in the last two years). Just between these two teams they have used 4 first day picks on TE's in the last 3 years.
We wanted to run a two TE scheme. Drafting another TE is not out of the question nor would it be foolhardy if a good one is available even if Joppru becomes a pro bowler. One of our biggest problems is our lack of offensive diversity. Having a couple of one-dimensional TE's isn't helping our team score points.
The breadth and depth of quality personnel that the Patriots & Colts have on their respective rosters is something that we can only dream about @ this point in time. We have far too many needs on both sides of the ball that
prevent us from having the luxury of using multiple first-day draft picks and/or extravagant FA acquisitions on multiple TEs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #56
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

I started to add TE to the list. It does need to be addressed. I left TE off the list because the team my believe we have one in Joppru. Personally I am with Vinny, there is nothing wrong with having two good all-purpose TE's. Indy had it with Dilger and Pollard and now has it with Pollard and Clark. It works well for them.
Old 12-15-2004   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Good and bad as examples IMO. Watson has played in a grand total of one game this year, contributing 2 receptions. Hartsock has "played" in 13 games and has 0 receptions. The Patriots really don't use their TE's much as receivers, although the Colts certainly do and have split about evenly between Pollard and Clark. A second complete TE is a luxury IMO compared to other needs for immediate impact on the team. Now "second" is the $64K question--is Joppru the first or not? This is one of those deals where IMO you just have to trust the team and doctors. If they have significant doubts, by all means TE is a priority. If they don't then TE drops way down the list. We as fans will simply never have enough information to adequately judge the odds and the only indication we are likely to get from the Texans is whether a TE is drafted in the 1st 3 rounds.
Old 12-15-2004   #58
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

The problem, Infantry, is that we cannot afford to go another season without a "true" (2 dimensional) TE. If we are going into the 3rd season in a row count on Joppru, we are obviously not learning very well. IMO we should treat it as if we don't have a TE going into this season and act accordingly. If Joppru pans out, it is a bonus. If not, we have it covered.
Old 12-15-2004   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

That is what I was trying to get at though--the difference in perspective and information between fans, and the combination of the player/team/doctors. From our perspective it looks like we should act like Joppru is not there. If every piece of information the player/team/doctors have is that Joppru could be playing right now and will be fine next year then I hope the Texans use that information to make an informed plan for drafting rather than just ignoring it. Is there a risk--sure--but if it pays off the return will be greater.
Old 12-15-2004   #60
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
My answer: A

We have a new LT, LG and RT to go along with a new scheme. Give them time...

I agree that the offensive problems center squarely on the O-Line.

As for the zone blocking, it's been proven by several teams that it can be very effective and with Davis' health returning, I think the past two or three games has shown us that IS starting to finally show some results.

I also agree completely with Fiddy that they just need time. It takes at least one season for an O-line to gel.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read