Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2008   #41
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 O-Linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Do you think a 340-350 pound lineman fits Gibbs plans for a guard?
If Spencer's healthy, he'll likely have a playing weight around 325 lbs. And yes, he's plenty athletic to play guard for Gibbs- if the knee is sound.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #42
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At 320-330 think of Spencer as a dansing bear. The guy had some very good feet and moves, but he had a hand punch that would stop a charging rihno. I suspect he won't ever get back to LT level, but he could be one heck of a "Destroyer of worlds" (ode to YTF) from a guard position.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If Spencer's healthy, he'll likely have a playing weight around 325 lbs. And yes, he's plenty athletic to play guard for Gibbs- if the knee is sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
At 320-330 think of Spencer as a dansing bear. The guy had some very good feet and moves, but he had a hand punch that would stop a charging rihno. I suspect he won't ever get back to LT level, but he could be one heck of a "Destroyer of worlds" (ode to YTF) from a guard position.
What those two guys said. I think folks have way, way overemphasized the size aspect of Gibbs' system. I think what he looks for are guys with good feet and a willingness/personality to get down field. Guys like Pitts and Spencer fit that mold.
Old 05-01-2008   #44
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
It has been so long since he played I look up his combine times:
Numbers:: At the Combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.32 seconds and did 30 reps in the 225-pound bench press.
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplay...eport#scouting

I'm hopeful he can get on the field, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Interesting twist, any particular reason you think this will be the line-up or is this for conversation sake?
Winston is the only guy last year that consistantly knocked people in the second level in the dirt. I put that at LG. LG, that's where you want your most destructive weapon. Back side cuts, Erick will get there.
Old 05-01-2008   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Winston is the only guy last year that consistantly knocked people in the second level in the dirt. I put that at LG. LG, that's where you want your most destructive weapon. Back side cuts, Erick will get there.
Seriously--put down the crack pipe. They are not moving Winston to LG.
Old 05-01-2008   #47
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Got 'er saved cak.
Old 05-01-2008   #48
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure it's crack, sounds more like LSD. Absolutly delusionl. But then, my hold on reality is.......loose.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #49
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking when Brown wins the LT spot, Salaam may go over to RT, meaning Winston could go inside.... That is if you want your 5 best OL on the field.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #50
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope you guys are right about Spencer. Seeing him at guard between Myers and Winston would give us quite a fearsome line.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #51
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: 2008 O-Linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I really hope you guys are right about Spencer. Seeing him at guard between Myers and Winston would give us quite a fearsome line.
That's what I'm hoping for too
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #52
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is it assumed by many that Spencer would play RG?

Why wouldn't he move to LG?

I would think that it would be a more natural move for a former LT.

Also Branden Frye will be competing for playing time as a Guard and not a Tackle, just in case anyone wanted to know. I heard Kubiak on the radio talking about converting him from a College OT to a Pro OG.
Old 05-02-2008   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Why is it assumed by many that Spencer would play RG?

Why wouldn't he move to LG?

I would think that it would be a more natural move for a former LT.
Because you have a guy at LG who is a four year starter and no clear starter at RG. Why make two guys change position instead of one?
Old 05-02-2008   #54
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I was thinking when Brown wins the LT spot, Salaam may go over to RT, meaning Winston could go inside.... That is if you want your 5 best OL on the field.
If you want your best 5 guys on the line then Salaam should not be at RT. Winston is a better lineman at this point than Salaam is. That was very evident last season.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, why would we want to keep a player in a position he's basically dominated for a season and a half. Pete, I think kastofanal's rubbing off on you a bit too much.

Crazy I tell ya, just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
kiwi, I think Salaam will move back to the position he was brought here for and that's the swing for both OT positions. IMO, Winston has proven he's the best player for the RT position. Salaam's a backup.
Old 05-02-2008   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, it's unlikely. However, I have a couple points:

1. With Gibbs' zone blocking scheme, the guards are a greater emphasis in relastion to tackles than in any other system. In other words, a move inward by Winston under Gibbs wouldn't be anything like a demotion.

2. In the unlikely event that Duane Brown turns into a good LT and Spencer returns to pre-injury form, if both happen, I'd say a possibility would be to put Spencer at RT and slide Winston in at RG. Spencer would likely dominate at RT and Winston's athleticism and quickness would be better utilized inside, where he could get his head across the Mike on a stretch play away from his side.
Old 05-02-2008   #57
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting notion there. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gibbs is going to do with all these players and where they line up. I think in Gibbs' mind, he's starting from a clean slate and will test people out at whatever positions he wants to try (although he may play around with that in his mind 1st).

What were Spencer's biggest strengths, in the limited time we saw him play? Was he better at pass blocking or run blocking, or was he decent at both?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
True, it's unlikely. However, I have a couple points:

1. With Gibbs' zone blocking scheme, the guards are a greater emphasis in relastion to tackles than in any other system. In other words, a move inward by Winston under Gibbs wouldn't be anything like a demotion.

2. In the unlikely event that Duane Brown turns into a good LT and Spencer returns to pre-injury form, if both happen, I'd say a possibility would be to put Spencer at RT and slide Winston in at RG. Spencer would likely dominate at RT and Winston's athleticism and quickness would be better utilized inside, where he could get his head across the Mike on a stretch play away from his side.
Well argued, but (a) the Texans have already talked about moving Spencer (the Spencer that had the quickness to play LT) to G not Winston and (b) this is really only coming up because threetoedpete hates Pitts and he was trying to project a scenario to get rid of him.
Old 05-02-2008   #59
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Interesting notion there. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gibbs is going to do with all these players and where they line up. I think in Gibbs' mind, he's starting from a clean slate and will test people out at whatever positions he wants to try (although he may play around with that in his mind 1st).

What were Spencer's biggest strengths, in the limited time we saw him play? Was he better at pass blocking or run blocking, or was he decent at both?
What I recall about Spencer was , he was a good with his hands . In fact I read where he had the hardest punch that they ( scouts ) had seen in awhile .

I remember reading that he was'nt the fastest out of his stance either but once again he would beat the hell out of you . I guess he would be like EriK Williams of the Cowboys ... big and nasty .
Old 05-02-2008   #60
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well argued, but (a) the Texans have already talked about moving Spencer (the Spencer that had the quickness to play LT) to G not Winston and (b) this is really only coming up because threetoedpete hates Pitts and he was trying to project a scenario to get rid of him.
sorry, I totally missed the hidden agenda..

Anyway, regarding Spencer's move to guard, I think that's the plan to start with. Somewhere in the back of their minds I believe there is a plan to consider moving him to tackle if he returns to form. I know that LZ believes that's a possibility- I'm not sure if that is simply his opinion or not.

All that being said, I'd need about 5-1 odds before I'd lay any money on it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read