Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2008   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 O-Linemen

RT: Eric Winston
RG: Fred Weary
C: Chris Myers
LG: Chester Pitts
LT: Duane Brown

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #22
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Regardless, I think our OL has a chance to be...dare I say it...one of the best in the league.

One would hope, but as I understand, it typically takes more than one season for a great line to learn to work together effectively enough to get to a level where they are considered one of the best.

Arguements can be made, as I'm certain there are exceptions to the rule. I hope at the very least that we can find the OL get touted as exceptional.
Old 04-30-2008   #23
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
RT: Pitts
RG: pick'em
C: Myers
LG: Winston
LT: Brown
Interesting twist, any particular reason you think this will be the line-up or is this for conversation sake?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #24
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

RT: Winston/Spencer
RG: Briesel/Weary
C: Myers/Eslinger/White
LG: Pitts/Spencer/Studdard
LT: Brown/Salaam

I love this line!!! I can't lie though, I would still love it if we used a 2nd rounder next year on a Monster RG to line up next to Winston, release Weary, and have Briesel as a quality backup Guard. Spencer would be our backup Tackle, and you have one incredibly stout O-Line

RG: Monster G/Briesel
LG: Pitts/Studdard
LT: Brown/Spencer

Imagine the push to the Right we would have!!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #25
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
http://www.sportsradio610.com/The-Sp...-Raley/1616945

Go here and listen to the interview with Kubiak.

Please tell me it doesn't sound like it's Browns job to lose.

If it doesn't play when you hit the "play" button try listening to it on podcast. Pay attention to Gary's response when Mark ask him about "easing Brown into the line-up"....

Don't see how you listen to that and not get the impression that they are expecting him to start from day .

Kubes has a habit of "annointing" starters when they haven't earned it. I hope this is not the case here and, if it is, I hope he's right. I would rather they let Brown learn behind Salaam and ease him into the starting job after mid-season ......... if he's worthy of it.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #26
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
One would hope, but as I understand, it typically takes more than one season for a great line to learn to work together effectively enough to get to a level where they are considered one of the best.

Arguements can be made, as I'm certain there are exceptions to the rule. I hope at the very least that we can find the OL get touted as exceptional.
Agreed ....... we can see the potential but, it will probably take 2-3 years as a unit to become one of the best.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #27
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post

I love this line!!! I can't lie though, I would still love it if we used a 2nd rounder next year on a Monster RG to line up next to Winston, release Weary, and have Briesel as a quality backup Guard. Spencer would be our backup Tackle, and you have one incredibly stout O-Line
I would say that we are in more dire need of a LG than a RG. If you watch tape of our later games last season, you'll notice that the right side of the line (Briesel and Winston, namely) were playing phenomenally. It was just hard to notice because Salaam, Pitts, and The Flan all played like freshly oiled turnstiles. Kubiak realizes that the left side was below average and that's why we've spent time rebuilding it this offseason. We've drafted an athletic guy to play LT and we've rid ourselves of the Flan...leaving the LG, logical o-line position to fill. Will we this season? Hard to say. However, if Spencer comes back ready to play...expect to see him at LG.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2008   #28
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Kubes has a habit of "annointing" starters when they haven't earned it.
I think he does the right thing in "annointing" starters.

I really don't see any point in easing Duane into the starting line-up unless he's making mistakes that are getting his teammates killed..

Besides that, if you thought that Salaam was capable enough to get the start over a first rd. pick at that position then it was a wasted pick...Besides QB, if you're picking a player in the first round you should be expecting an immediate impact from that player...

If Spencer, a third rounder who played a lot of guard in college, was able to start by game one with Salaam on the roster, I'd expect the same from Brown...

I really don't see a high likelihood of him NOT starting the first game of pre-season...
Old 04-30-2008   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Oh my if Spencer came back and picked up where he left off but at RG and Brown played at a similar level to Marcus Mcneil in his rookie season...

Our OL would be downright beastly!!!
Old 04-30-2008   #30
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

I like where you are going here - especially with the projection of Spencer this season. Even if he were to lose a step, I think can still bring value and depth to this team and, once he gets a season of contact under his belt, who knows.

Keep in mind that Myers, Esligner and White all have versatility between C and G. If either Esligner (who has been highly touted) or White (who played pretty well last year prior to getting hurt and a guy the coaches are high on), come out and surprise, it could open up some ther options here.

Two random thoughts:
I think we are immediately better because (i) we will have an upgrade at Center and (ii) reliable depth - especially if Spencer can come back and contribute.
With a new coach, everything is up in the air. I agree that Winston and Myers are probably set at their positions, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some movement or new names based on what Gibbs sees in these guys and how they fit in what he wants to do.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #31
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

LT- Brown, Salaam
LG- Spencer, Pitts, Studdard
C- Meyers, White, Bisiel
RG- Brisiel, Studdard
LT- Winston, Salaam, Butler
or
LT- Brown, Salaam
LG- Spencer, Pitts, Studdard
C- Meyers, White, Bisiel
RG- Brisiel, Studdard, Frye
LT- Winston, Salaam, Frye
or
LT- Brown, Salaam
LG- Pitts, Studdard
C- Meyers, White, Brisiel
RG- Brisiel, Studdard, Frye, White
RT- Winston, Salaam, Frye

The third option is the most likely to me. If I remeber correctly Kubiak only keeps about 9 OL on the roster. Regardless I dont think Weary makes the team, I kinda wonder if he cant take over LG spot so we can drop Pitts. I wonder if Spencer will make the team.. 350lb OL is not something you see in a ZBS often. Even if he loses weight and plays 325ish that is still big. It would really depend on how quick he is.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #32
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What about that guy Frye? I thought I heard some decent things about him
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #33
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think it's all gonna depend on Gibbs and how he gauges them not how we traditionally grade them. I think the big question marks are Frye, Studdard, Esslinger, Weary, and Spencer, and where do they end up, and how far down the depth chart. Weary has allways been a hard worker and really dependable, but he has also allways underachieved somewhat. Spencer is comming back from a major injury and will need at least 6 months of game conditioning to know where he's at. Esslinger is a total unknown factor becuase he really didnt get the playing time people expected in Denver. We should have a decent idea of the depth chart come pre-season game 3. If I had to guess I would say :

LT Brown/Salaam
LG Pitts/Brisiel
C Myers/white/Esslinger
RG Studdard/Weary
RT Winston/Spencer

I have Weary and Spencer in backup roles mainly based on getting back to gameday conditioning level. I think it's really gonna be Gibbs call though and we may all be way off come opening day.
Old 05-01-2008   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Salaam will get the respect start in pre-season but Brown will be auditioning. If he shows akin to Spencer in 2006 then he will be starter day 1. Jack up with assignments and start the season on spot duty. JMO but if Spencer is healthy he is RG. Prediction--Pitts has a much better year with a competent C next to him. He really gets vapor lock of the cranial cavity when he thinks he needs to make up for the guy next to him.
Agreed. On RG, I see Spencer if healthy then Weary, then Briesel and Studdard back up on the line as he has not really shown anything to bump a starter. As Kubes said, some quality players will not have a job by game 1.
Old 05-01-2008   #35
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
RT: Pitts
RG: pick'em
C: Myers
LG: Winston
LT: Brown
What makes you think they move Winston from RT to LG? Do you think Pitts gets cut or that he's too slow for Gibbs' style of blocking? Winston was doing a decent job at RT, why move him?

Inquiring minds want to know.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #36
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

On the Record:

Brown is the starting day LT.
Old 05-01-2008   #37
A Texan
Veteran

When you're talking about tackles don't forget about Rashad Butler, the swing tackle backup who who did a pretty good job in relief last year despite the fact he was just getting his strenght back after his bout with ulceritive colitis. With a year to get bigger and stronger he should be even better. In case you missed his story, here's a link:
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/...er-rashad.html
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Kubes has a habit of "annointing" starters when they haven't earned it. I hope this is not the case here and, if it is, I hope he's right. I would rather they let Brown learn behind Salaam and ease him into the starting job after mid-season ......... if he's worthy of it.

I totally disagree. I think he's all about a fair and open competition. I think that impression comes from the incredible lack of talent that was here his first two preseasons. Simply, anyone drafted or picked up in FA was so clearly better than what we already had, the job was going to be theirs.

If you look at last off-season, Jacoby basically won a shared starting job with Kevin Walter before his injury.

Winston's rookie year, he was given a shot midseason at RT even though the staff thought he'd have to play guard. He won the job and stuck.

Travis Johnson won a starting job over Maddox last year as well.

Jason Simmons was a job as starting S last preseason- he was given that, though Glenn Earl's injury certainly helped.

Briesel won the RG job after the Weary injury over Studdard, even though Studdard was a Kubiak guy.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #39
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

I do agree that the best way to learn is doing your craft . Brown will never learn sitting the bench so i am looking to see him if healthy start the year at his spot . I expect some difficulty here and there but this kid has faced some good rushing ends and done well . Also some of the other ol players will face a big learning curve implementing the full on gibbs style blocking so Brown will not be alone at the learning desk .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #40
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Salaam will get the respect start in pre-season but Brown will be auditioning. If he shows akin to Spencer in 2006 then he will be starter day 1. Jack up with assignments and start the season on spot duty. JMO but if Spencer is healthy he is RG. Prediction--Pitts has a much better year with a competent C next to him. He really gets vapor lock of the cranial cavity when he thinks he needs to make up for the guy next to him.
Do you think a 340-350 pound lineman fits Gibbs plans for a guard?

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read