Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2008   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2008 O-Linemen

Well, now that draft is complete, which offensive linemen do you think will be starting in the season opener? I feel confident that Pitts, Winston and Myers will be starting, but what about RG and LT? I think Studdard can replace Weary at RG, plus Weary is coming off a knee injury, which may keep him at less than 100%. But the big question is will Duane Brown beat out Salaam for the LT spot? Regardless, I think our OL has a chance to be...dare I say it...one of the best in the league. Especially with the addition of Gibbs, which was probably one of the most underrated moves made this whole off-season. What are your guys thoughts?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 O-Linemen

A long shot Wild Card is if Spencer passes his tests and is presumed healthy in training camp...he will be ready to make a charge to get back into the starting lineup. RG of course.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah, kind of forgot about Spencer...if he can make a comeback, this OL would have a lot better depth as well.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Honestly, I would like to see Brisiel have a spot somewhere in the starting line up. He was one of our best back ups last season.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think RG is Brisiel's job to lose at this point. Charles Spencer will challenge him though if he is ready to play.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

It's almost crazy to even say it out loud, but really - I agree we could potentially have one of the best O-lines in the league. I feel like we shouldn't even talk about this for fear of something terrible happening, LOL.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
It's almost crazy to even say it out loud, but really - I agree we could potentially have one of the best O-lines in the league. I feel like we shouldn't even talk about this for fear of something terrible happening, LOL.
Heh. Maybe, hopefully Gibbs can work some sort of soul-selling magic.

My thoughts on the 2008 O-line for game 1:

LT: Salaam
LG: Pitts
C: Meyers
RG: Brisiel
RT: Winston

I think you might be able to replace Salaam with Brown by the end of the year (God I hope).
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2008   #8
Polo

From Kubiaks comments sounds like LT is Brown's job to lose.
Old 04-29-2008   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Do you have any particular comments in mind, or just how he likes the kid in general?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam will get the respect start in pre-season but Brown will be auditioning. If he shows akin to Spencer in 2006 then he will be starter day 1. Jack up with assignments and start the season on spot duty. JMO but if Spencer is healthy he is RG. Prediction--Pitts has a much better year with a competent C next to him. He really gets vapor lock of the cranial cavity when he thinks he needs to make up for the guy next to him.
Old 04-29-2008   #11
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Do you have any particular comments in mind, or just how he likes the kid in general?
Heard him on the radio and someone asked him about easing Brown into the line-up. Kubiak said something to the affect of not having time to wait on guys. In todays game they need big time production from young guys off jump street. Said Salaam will be there helping him mature. Again, to me it sounded like he meant helping him mature as in being a support system.

To me it sounded like Duane Brown was expected to be the starter from day one.

Take my post fwiw.
Old 04-29-2008   #12
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
i dunno, i highly doubt brown starts week one.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #13
ItsAMarioParty
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden cover

Thats a pretty tough position to start at day one esp for a guy thats new to the position in the first place. If kubes and gibbs put him out there I'll def trust their decision but I'm pretty sure he'd be better off with a gradual entry
ItsAMarioParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #14
Polo

I'm pretty sure Levi Brown, Tony Ugoh, Charles Spencer (pre-injury), D'Brick, Marcus McNeil and countless others would have beem better off with gradual entries as well......but sometimes they're the best on the roster from day one.

We'll see.

Last edited by Polo; 04-30-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2008   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

We have to have a season where we aren't among the league leaders in IR players, right? Someday? Please?

If we can stay healthy, I really have a nagging feeling that this team could be something special. Probably still a year away, but you know, the 2001 Pats team wasn't stacked yet, either. Stranger things have happened.

Must stay healthy.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #16
Polo

http://www.sportsradio610.com/The-Sp...-Raley/1616945

Go here and listen to the interview with Kubiak.

Please tell me it doesn't sound like it's Browns job to lose.

If it doesn't play when you hit the "play" button try listening to it on podcast. Pay attention to Gary's response when Mark ask him about "easing Brown into the line-up"....

Don't see how you listen to that and not get the impression that they are expecting him to start from day .

Last edited by Polo; 04-30-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I think RG is Brisiel's job to lose at this point. Charles Spencer will challenge him though if he is ready to play.
It's Weary's job till someone beats him out...if Weary is healthy that won't be all that easy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's going to start off with:

RT: Winston
RG: Weary
C: Myers
LG: Pitts
LT: Salaam

But I think Brown starts by the end of the first quarter of the season. If Spencer is able to come back and isn't totally washed out, I expect him to get the RG position. And I think Brisiel is going to push for a starting job at that position but just not quite get it.

But I'm interested in seeing what they do with Frye.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

RT: Pitts
RG: pick'em
C: Myers
LG: Winston
LT: Brown
Old 04-30-2008   #20
wicked_wayz
all blacks

RT - winston
RG - eslinger/spencer
c - myers
LG - pitts
LT - brown

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read