Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-29-2008   #1
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The future

You know i wonder and i am not really being pessimistic but is it ever in the cards for Rick Smith and company to go for the win instead of the future ? It is not a high expectation for a fan to want a first rounder to be an instant impact player is it ? Just look at last years draft and Amobi , that kid was an impact player right ? That being said maybe just maybe Brown will be an impact player as a first rounder year one who knows , but everyone seems intent on calling our entire draft a project (even me ) . Will anyone in this draft be that impact player we all are hoping for ?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The future

Okoye was looked at as a future prospect, too.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Just be patient. There's always a risk in any player you draft. So just because we would have drafted Mendenhal, it didn't mean he would have been a great player. Look at Cedric Benson, even though they are different players, Benson was a sure thing and now look at him. Smith and Kubiak will be judged in about three years. I don't expect a super bowl win by then but I want this team to be above .500.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #4
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

i think adibi will be an impact player. i think hell start over diles/thompson/bentley.
molden also might be impact player like bennett was kind of. i expect faggins to miss the cut and molden to start alongside bennett instead of reeves after a few weeks
who knows, slaton might be also. if green gets released and brown gets injured again, theres a high chance of slaton getting more carries than walker and we know he has the ability to be really good
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Okoye was looked at as a future prospect, too.
Exactly. We don't even know how Amobi will turn out. I've seen players be great rookies and then fizzle out. Michael Clayton is a great example in Tampa. I expect Amobi to improve on his rookie year but we will see.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect the first 5 guys picked to play a fair bit this year, will any of them be stars this year.... probably not, but I think they will all show us something to get excited about.
Old 04-29-2008   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

You wont see any sexy picks from the Texans untill we are on the verge of greatness and they need that one or two extra guys to go over the top in the playoffs. It's the same reason you wont see us going crazy the first day of the FA period flashing big wads of cash. I'm glad our front office is thinking ahead, and you will be too.
Old 04-29-2008   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with the Texans building from the bottom up. The trenches are really where the game is decided. Having sexy picks does you no good if they can't get past the line. This works for both sides of the line.

Patience, Grasshopper. Patiience.
Old 04-29-2008   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I have no problem with the Texans building from the bottom up. The trenches are really where the game is decided. Having sexy picks does you no good if they can't get past the line. This works for both sides of the line.

Wouldn't the AZ Cardinals be a prime example of this? Great Offensive firepower but with that crap line they struggle. Don't even get me started on their D.

So yeah - invest in Big Uglies and bring the pretty boys later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
You know i wonder and i am not really being pessimistic but is it ever in the cards for Rick Smith and company to go for the win instead of the future ? It is not a high expectation for a fan to want a first rounder to be an instant impact player is it ? Just look at last years draft and Amobi , that kid was an impact player right ? That being said maybe just maybe Brown will be an impact player as a first rounder year one who knows , but everyone seems intent on calling our entire draft a project (even me ) . Will anyone in this draft be that impact player we all are hoping for ?
Thats next year. Most of our holes will hopefully have been filled and we can target just a few top players in free agency and in the draft to take us to that next level. What the Jags are currently trying to do.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you rather have them picked Reggie or Vince instead of Mario because they are "impact players"? This logic doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Football is the ultimate team sport. Every player is going to make an impact. If Duane Brown becomes the player the Texans think he will be at LT then he will definitely be an impact player. You don't need all your "impact players" to score the points for you.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown is expected to make an impact this year.

Slaton will definitely make an impact- barring injury.

Okam will make an impact on short yardage downs, at the very least.

Adibi, Molden will both have an opportunity to make significant impact on ST, at minimum.

We're a better team now. It's a sign of a good team that you can't just draft a guy and plug him into a starting spot.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Here is how I look at things ...

If every draft they help in year one and can contribute, that is great and well above the curve. If in year two (Mario Williams) They are a main piece and are on there way to stardom your draft right. This keeps the team built for the long haul versus the short term .. ala the Bengals and the Bears. You have to remember we are still purging the roster of all the bad crap under the C&C crappy roster factory.

Pappy think back to how slowly the Colts have been built into what they are now, it was not over night on in one or two drafts. This is Rick Smiths second draft and the third one in which Kubiak has been apart of and the path of the team actually has a clear and present direction.

As Glasshalffull so appropriately said Patience young padwon you will learn. That greatness takes time.

P.S. D Ryans, O Daniels, and Jacoby Jonese were all immediate impact players. I also feel that Slaton will have an impact this coming year.

Last edited by Specnatz; 04-29-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #14
sbalderrama

Hopefully in the future we can be complaining about "crappy" drafts because it's so difficult to find good enough players to knock our existing roster out.
Old 04-29-2008   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Exactly. We don't even know how Amobi will turn out. I've seen players be great rookies and then fizzle out. Michael Clayton is a great example in Tampa. I expect Amobi to improve on his rookie year but we will see.
indeed. throw in Cadillac Williams, too. bad luck for the Bucs.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read