Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2008   #21
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Weary Signing

this was when fred was coming out

Quote:
Positives: Versatile, with the ability to play center or guard…Shows quickness coming out of his stance, clearing defenders off the ball with his leg drive, hand jolt and explosion…Has an aggressive nature…Clamps on tightly to ride the defender wide… Physical drive blocker who simply runs over people…Effective trap blocker with ease-of-movement agility adjusting in space.

Negatives: Despite his power, he still tries to finesse rather than maul…Has had a series of injuries that cost him considerable playing time over the years…More comfortable working in space than as an in-line blocker…Injuries have taken away some of the leg drive he displayed earlier in his career.
Quote:
* Ht: 6'4"
* Wt: 308
* 40-yard: 5.37
* 20-yard: 3.06
* 10-yard: 1.8
* 20-yard shuttle: 4.63
* Three-cone drill: 7.68
* Vertical jump: 32"
* Broad jump: 8'8"
* Bench: 225, 34 times
* Bench: 475
* Squat: 505
* Power clean: 305
* Arm length: 31 ½"
* Hand width: 9 1/8"
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2.../fredweary.htm

maybe Gibbs still thinks he can work with him even after the injury ??
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
The whole team sucked in 2002, well except billy miller right? they still werent the worst line in history, just very mediocre. Carr just made them look like the worst in history.
Relax, I said "worst unit in football for a few years running". It was only really bad for a few years, but never worst ever ever period.
Old 04-29-2008   #23
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
David Carr and his NFL Sack king title in 2002.

EDIT: maybe that should be sack jester.
thought it was weigart at starting RG not weary at the time with wade at tackle?
Old 04-29-2008   #24
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Easy there, Ringo. It's not like that statement's way out of line, is it?
Ringo? Are we friends? Instead of talking out of his crack maybe he should support his statement. Bring substance or bring nothing at all. (I'm referring to b0ng and the same lame lines year after year)

Quote:
David Carr and his NFL Sack king title in 2002.

EDIT: maybe that should be sack jester.
Here we go again with the David Carr thing? How has the line help up since Mickey Mouse moved on? Not too bad huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ringo? Are we friends? Instead of talking out of his crack maybe he should support his statement. Bring substance or bring nothing at all. (I'm referring to b0ng and the same lame lines year after year)

Here we go again with the David Carr thing? How has the line help up since Mickey Mouse moved on? Not too bad huh?
Argue with the numbers all you want, but 70 sacks is 70 sacks anyway you slice it. Just because Carr was absolutely terrible doesn't mean the line gets a free pass, because that was just a special kind of bad. All parties involved are guilty.

And no, that is not an outlandish statement and I think anybody who has to defend a statement like that should get to ban one poster of their choosing off the board for forever.
Old 04-29-2008   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

how does that relate to weary? because he didn't start?

Riley,Pitts,McKinney,Weigart,wade
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...061&type=story
Old 04-29-2008   #27
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
how does that relate to weary? because he didn't start?

Riley,Pitts,McKinney,Weigart,wade
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...061&type=story
He still played right? Or did he sit the entire year.

Either way, it's 5 years later, he's taken a paycut for WHATEVER reason and anybody can form their own opinion why.

Good signing.

And yes, he was still apart of one of the worst units in football for a few years running.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2008   #28
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:

Either way, it's 5 years later, he's taken a paycut for WHATEVER reason and anybody can form their own opinion why.

Good signing.

And yes, he was still apart of one of the worst units in football for a few years running.
I would think paycut is part of the injury that was sustained
stats I found was
2006 15 games
2007 12 games
career totals 27 games from espn

D-Rob sustained an injury also at a bad time.. Texans may sign him for some bucks but with the injury, he won't get the am't he would have got if he didn't have the injury(nature of the beast)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=3594
shows 2005 4 games under defense so I am assuming that was on ST

offensively it was all on 2006-2007

Last edited by Wolf; 04-29-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2008   #29
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst case he's a okay starter and solid backup to have.

Guy is familiar with the personnel and scheme. I don't think so much we'll see a dramatic shift in scheme much as dramatic improvement under Gibbs.

It's not like he signed for for the amount Tenn paid for Jake Scott or Jets for Faneca.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:

Good signing.

Under the Capers regime he only started due to injury--12 games as a rookie and then 7 games over the next three years.

Technically he did not take a pay cut. He was UFA so he had no contract. The whatever reason is clearly injury. In any event, he is actually making more money this year than last year and so didn't take a pay cut at all--he just didn't get the big contract he would have if not injured.
Old 04-29-2008   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm a little baffled by the move. Surely he lacks the quickness and athleticism Gibbs is looking for... and, with Frye, Briesel, Spencer, Eslinger, GWhite, Studdard all on the roster- I would think this is just tossing money away. Can someone explain this to me?
Donno how he got this knock from someone who watches as much Texan football as you. Weary has great feet and is very limber (I've seen him do the splits warming up), and has been a pretty darn good lineman the last two years. Probably our most consistently good lineman over the last two years and one of the better athletes among the linemen.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #32
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Donno how he got this knock from someone who watches as much Texan football as you. Weary has great feet and is very limber (I've seen him do the splits warming up), and has been a pretty darn good lineman the last two years. Probably our most consistently good lineman over the last two years and one of the better athletes among the linemen.
Was going to say something similar to this. I don't know how much upside Weary really has, since he got started so late. Whether that was inept coaching or he was just slow to develop in the NFL (bit of both, I'm sure), he's gotten better the past couple years and been a valuable guy.

Injuries always suck, but his came at a really bad time for the franchise and for him personally. I'm pulling for him.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the guy payed his dues, and the front office let him go his own way. It shows mcnair's character once again. would you like to be released right after an injury after giving your all for over 5 years?
That's the way I see it also. They give him some snaps in the pre season and give him a chance to catch on some where else.
Old 04-30-2008   #34
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Vinny, I know you've been a fan of his since the draft. I've seen such an array of profiles on him that I've never been sure what the book on him actually is. I do know that he ran a pretty slow fourty time- something like 5.40...

Also, I confess, that I have a difficult time assessing interior linemen when I'm watching a game and rarely have I gone through the game on Tivo to check out Weary, usually it's a center I'm watching or some new guy at guard. Oh yeah, and there was the Seth Wand experiment at guard for the one preseason game that totally changed my impression of the guy.

Anyway, I've been generally pleased with his production over the years but I've never seen him as athletic and I can't remember a time when I've seen him with an impressive downfield block. That being said, it is possible that you and Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Gary Kubiak have a better grasp of his ability than I do.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #35
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm a little baffled by the move. Surely he lacks the quickness and athleticism Gibbs is looking for... and, with Frye, Briesel, Spencer, Eslinger, GWhite, Studdard all on the roster- I would think this is just tossing money away. Can someone explain this to me?
I just want to know what Gibb's actual "type" of lineman really is. I've heard people on this board say one thing, and then another. I've heard rumor after rumor, but none make sense. I even heard about his crazy diet regimen he puts them on. Then you hear Kubiak laughing about that at a press conference like the reporter was crazy. So seriously.....what is Gibbs wanting from our lineman????
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #36
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I just want to know what Gibb's actual "type" of lineman really is. I've heard people on this board say one thing, and then another. I've heard rumor after rumor, but none make sense. I even heard about his crazy diet regimen he puts them on. Then you hear Kubiak laughing about that at a press conference like the reporter was crazy. So seriously.....what is Gibbs wanting from our lineman????
"Instead, Gibbs builds his line around sub-300-pound players who execute superb technique, dance laterally along the line of scrimmage--taking their defensive partners in the direction they dictate--and open running seams for Terrell Davis to exploit his devastating cutbacks. It worked to near--perfection Sunday when the Broncos successfully defended their NFL title with a 34-19 Super Bowl victory over the Falcons."

To read the whole article click here: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-53877912.html

This should give you a better idea of Gibbs and the ZBS.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #37
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
The whole team sucked in 2002, well except billy miller right? they still werent the worst line in history, just very mediocre. Carr just made them look like the worst in history.
Correct. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: had we replaced Carr prior to the 2006 season, we could have easily won nine or ten games that year. Some people still don't realize the extent to which Carr was damaging the team's play.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain on 4/27:
Quote:
I think Fred Weary, who hasn't been re-signed, won't be the starter at RG.
John McClain on 4/29:
Quote:
Weary is expected to go to camp as the starter at right guard.
Are we still paying attention to what McClain says? Wait for training camp and let Alex Gibbs figure it out.

Old 04-30-2008   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
good athletes. Not all big men are good athletes. Some guys are so big and strong that they just maul people...in this system where you ask guys to do more athletic things, those large unathletic big guys (like Todd Wade) just can't handle the more athletic duties. Some really large guys are good athletes but they are harder to find.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #40
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
John McClain on 4/27:
John McClain on 4/29:
Are we still paying attention to what McClain says? Wait for training camp and let Alex Gibbs figure it out.

well lucky he is pulling a Kiper ...covering all bases and can revert to either link to justify the means

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read