Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2008   #1
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Texans Cornerback Discussion

I am very impressed with the progress that Freddie B has made and I've been thinking about where he should line up next year.

Dunta played the right side of the field almost exclusively until last season. IMO, when D-Rob comes back, we should leave him at the #2 spot and have Freddie covering the left side.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TexansLucky13; 04-28-2008 at 06:44 PM.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Texans Cornerback Discussion

I don't think we should have any pre-concieved notions...

If Dunta comes back and is able to perform at the level he was pre-injury he's the best corner on the team..
Old 04-28-2008   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think we should have any pre-concieved notions...

If Dunta comes back and is able to perform at the level he was pre-injury he's the best corner on the team..
I agree with you. The thing is, pre-injury D-Rob was the best corner on this team. If he isn't healthy come game one, Freddie will start on the left side, regardless.

IMO it would be great (if Freddie continues to develop) to put him on the #1 WR and leave Dunta on the right side.

Also, if Dunta is playing on the right side, we could use him better in a pass rushing scheme. It seems to me like every time we send Dunta in the backfield, he causes hell for the QB. Putting him on the blind side might help that.

Last edited by TexansLucky13; 04-28-2008 at 06:45 PM.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #4
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually it wouldn't be the worst idea to ease Dunta back on the field. If Fred's holding his own, then that makes it much easier for Dunta to not have to put any more pressure on coming back too soon/ over-extending himself.

But my guess is that Dunta would have a tough time being the #2 guy, it's his nature to go against the top competition. Whatever the case maybe, his playing time and professionalism is going to be instrumental in the development of A. Moulden. The way Dunta carries himself on/off the field is what you hope your young secondary will pickup on. Not just Moulden, but the Brandons and Barber.

Ok, I haven't really answered your question so, no Dunta should always line up against the top competition. He's our best corner and the leader of the secondary.
Old 04-28-2008   #5
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

If you meant left side for Freddie then yea. Bennett first start was at left CB against Oakland, with Dunta playing at right CB, or #2. I guess the coach knew that Dunta played better, and was more comfortable on the right side. That means Bennett is our #1 CB, regardless of Dunta playing or not. He did a pretty good job there too, so I wouldn't move him.

I'm just wondering what we're going to do if Dunta comes back and play like his old self. If he does, we're going to be overloaded at CB, with 3 starter talents at CB.... and Reeves.

I think Kubiak is secretly grooming Molden to be our FS, just in case Dunta does come back %100. If not then, then the future is with Bennett & Molden at CB.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
If you meant left side for Freddie then yea. Bennett first start was at left CB against Oakland, with Dunta playing at right CB, or #2. I guess the coach knew that Dunta played better, and was more comfortable on the right side. That means Bennett is our #1 CB, regardless of Dunta playing or not. He did a pretty good job there too, so I wouldn't move him.

I'm just wondering what we're going to do if Dunta comes back and play like his old self. If he does, we're going to be overloaded at CB, with 3 starter talents at CB.... and Reeves.

I think Kubiak is secretly grooming Molden to be our FS, just in case Dunta does come back %100. If not then, then the future is with Bennett & Molden at CB.
I agree with you. And yes, I am thinking backwards (dyslexic, hehe). Lemme fix that.
Old 04-28-2008   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Having 3 starting quality CBs isn't exactly an overload. This is what the great defenses usually have. Wouldn't you like to have three starting quality CBs when your team plays the Idianapolis Colts twice a year every year, and eventually run into them in the playoffs as well?

I don't think any one of the Coaches in the Texans Organization wanted to draft Molden so we could move him to safety "just in case", but I've been wrong before.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Having 3 starting quality CBs isn't exactly an overload. This is what the great defenses usually have. Wouldn't you like to have three starting quality CBs when your team plays the Idianapolis Colts twice a year every year, and eventually run into them in the playoffs as well?

I don't think any one of the Coaches in the Texans Organization wanted to draft Molden so we could move him to safety "just in case", but I've been wrong before.
No, what I meant was that we would have those three players, with three other decent nickel qualities type CB in Faggins, Fletcher, and of course Reeves. I want to get the most out of our CBs.

Let's say Dunta is back in the line-up, it would be him and Bennett starting, with Reeves or Molden at nickel. Now either a 3rd round CB, or a guy getting paided 5mil/year is going to be our #4 CB and that person is not going to be seeing as much playing time as he should be.

It's more logicial to think that Molden is being groom for FS. One, because it'll help us out more then having him become our nickel/dime CB, and two he has the size to be a safety and has had experience at that position before.

Last edited by J-Russ; 04-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2008   #9
Polo

Happy trails Dexter Wynn...
Old 04-28-2008   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how Ray Rhodes will help this group ?

49ers asst. secondary coach, 1980-82; 49ers DBs coach, 1983-91
Old 04-28-2008   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't understand why we gave Reeves so much money. It's one of this off season's mysteries to me.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I still don't understand why we gave Reeves so much money. It's one of this off season's mysteries to me.
I think it bought flexibilty in the draft .
Old 04-28-2008   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think it bought flexibilty in the draft .
True, but it wasn't cheap. The weird thing is that the Moulden kid we just picked up may be better than Fred or Reeves when all is said and done. Not that it's a bad thing, just weird.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #14
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, once Moulden comes in and begins to contribute, Reeves will be one expensive nickleback

EDIT: Didn't see your post edo783 before I commented. You and I are on the same page!
Old 04-28-2008   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we end up with some good CBs, I don't care who they are or where they came from. I was saying that about Reeves because, frankly, he didn't seem like a multi-million dollar player to me.

I hope he proves me wrong though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because He's a solid, young, athletic corner. All things considered I think he held up well while Newman went down. I think some people on the board need to take the Cowboys blinders off.

Freddie....whatever.Fred Bennett will start next year opposite Reeves. I expect we'll see Molden slowly added in as the third corner.

I think we need to see when Dunta is coming back before we start to speculate. I would hope unlike last year starting off the defensive staff made the decision to just have our CBs play sides. Instead we need to put our best defender on opposing teams best WR. This shouldn't have been a hard idea to grasp considering people on this board had concerns about Faggins starting last year.

I'm hoping Ray Rhodes brings some clout far as what we need to do defensively overall.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #17
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:

..........overloaded? Why did Dallas and SD just draft CB's in the 1st? You need at least 3 starter quality CB's in this league.
Old 04-28-2008   #18
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Happy trails Dexter Wynn...
...............more like happy trails Faggins!
Old 04-28-2008   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If/When Dunta makes it all the way back, we very easly could wind up with 4 NFL starter level CBs. Now that isn't a bad thing to have in our pass happy, Colts lead division.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #20
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
..........overloaded? Why did Dallas and SD just draft CB's in the 1st? You need at least 3 starter quality CB's in this league.
Oh, wow. Jesus. How bout getting a starter for each position before thinking about the luxury sides.

Like I said, either a 3rd round CB, with loads of talents and skills, becomes our dime, or a dude getting paid starter will. And Since you'll like to keep all these talents at one position, then why don't you tell me who you'll like to see rot on the bench? And while you at it, what do you suppose we do with our other #3 qualities CBs? Let them become our #5 and #6? okkk.

EDIT: btw, I consider Demps more of a SS then a FS. The dude has no hands. You gotta be a play-maker to be a good FS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read