Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-28-2008   #1
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Annual early 09 draft prospect's

QB's
Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
Tim Tebow, Florida
Chase Daniel, Missouri
Todd Boeckman, Ohio State

RB's
Chris Wells, Ohio State
C.J. Spiller, Clemson
Javarris James, Miami (Fl.) (edgerin James cousin)

WR's
Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
Percy Harvin, Florida
Brian Robiskie, Ohio State

TE's
Chase Coffman, Missouri
Cornelius Ingram, Florida

OT's
Michael Oher, Ole Miss
Alex Boone, Ohio State

OG's
Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
Jeremy Perry, Oregon State

C
Alex Mack, California
Antoine Caldwell, Alabama

DT's
Fili Moala, USC
Al Woods, LSU
DeMarcus Granger, Oklahoma

DE's
Tyson jackson, LSU
George Selvie, South Florida
Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

OLB's
Brian Cushing, USC
Sean Lee, Penn State
Marcus Freeman, Ohio State

MLB's
James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
Rey Maualaga, USC
Brandon Spikes, Florida
Darry Beckwith, LSU

CB's
Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
Victor Harris, Virginia Tech
Vontae Davis, Illinois

Safties
Taylor Mays, USC
Myron Rolle, Florida State
Kevin Ellison, USC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.

Last edited by Bubbajwp; 04-28-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Annual early 09 draft prospect's

Never too early to start thinking about next year!

A very early look at how our team is now, I'll be looking at a power runner to pair with Slaton, a pass rushing DE, a LB to add to the mix, and a versatile DB.

Might add Greg Hardy, DE from Ole Miss to the list.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

A very early look at how our team is now, I'll be looking at a power runner to pair with Slaton, a pass rushing DE, a LB to add to the mix, and a versatile DB.

Might add Greg Hardy, DE from Ole Miss to the list.
By all means I want everybody to add some names. I just threw out a few. As of right now I really want a safty or LB in next years draft. But it depends on how Drob comes back.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 04-28-2008   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
By all means I want everybody to add some names. I just threw out a few. As of right now I really want a safty or LB in next years draft. But it depends on how Drob comes back.
I'm thinking all we need next year is a long range FS and an edge rusher to compliment Mario. Maybe SLB if Diles doesn't work out.

Crabtree will be a beast in the NFL IMO. I hate Tech but I like watching that guy play.
Old 04-28-2008   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
CB's
Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
Victor Harris, Virginia Tech
Vontae Davis, Illinois

Safties
Taylor Mays, USC
Myron Rolle, Florida State
Kevin Ellison, USC
With the 23rd pick, the Texans pick one of those guys.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #6
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
After trading our first and second round pick to move up in the draft right. LOL

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Small School

QB
Brock Smith, Liberty
Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross
Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
Sean Shaefer, Towson State
Jacary Atkinson, Tuskegee

RB
Tyler Roehl, North Dakota State
Brandon Ore, West Liberty State
Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois

WR
Ramses Barden, Cal Poly

OL
Joel Bell, Furman
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2008   #8
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
IMO the only reason to pick up another CB is to move someone to FS. Assuming either Reeves or Molden works out (and paired with Dunta and Freddie B), we have 3 capable corners.

I really just want a long-range, ball-hawking FS out of our first round next year. If not that then a monster at DE to help Mario.
Old 04-28-2008   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I'm thinking all we need next year is a long range FS and an edge rusher to compliment Mario. Maybe SLB if Diles doesn't work out.

Crabtree will be a beast in the NFL IMO. I hate Tech but I like watching that guy play.
I think if we can get the following, remain healthy, and the OL learns quickly this year we can really make a push consistently for the playoffs:
A stud powerful RB to complement Slaton.
A pass-rushing DE opposite Mario.
An strong SLB.
A Free Safety that can make some turnovers.

We have free agency next year and all of our draft picks. We should be completing our team at the exact same time our 'young' picks (Jacoby, Amobi, Mario, TJ, Bennett, Molden? Adibi?) are maturing and really filling their role as well as our Offensive Line "gels", knows the system and produces like Gibbs' lines have in the past.

It's going to be exciting when all this comes together, very shortly.
Old 04-28-2008   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Small School

QB
Brock Smith, Liberty
Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross
Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State
Sean Shaefer, Towson State
Jacary Atkinson, Tuskegee

RB
Tyler Roehl, North Dakota State
Brandon Ore, West Liberty State
Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois

WR
Ramses Barden, Cal Poly

OL
Joel Bell, Furman
Rhett Bomar could be a huge steal for somebody next year. He played pretty good while at oklahoma. But fell pretty far off the radar when he had to transfer to sam.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rhett Bomar could be a huge steal for somebody next year. He played pretty good while at oklahoma. But fell pretty far off the radar when he had to transfer to sam.
Yep. He has played decently at SHSU. Still mobile with a solid arm.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

My two favorite players still in college are James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
Rey Maualaga, USC But it would take a major catastrophe for one of them to fall to us.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
I think if we can get the following, remain healthy, and the OL learns quickly this year we can really make a push consistently for the playoffs:
A stud powerful RB to complement Slaton.
A pass-rushing DE opposite Mario.
An strong SLB.
A Free Safety that can make some turnovers.

We have free agency next year and all of our draft picks. We should be completing our team at the exact same time our 'young' picks (Jacoby, Amobi, Mario, TJ, Bennett, Molden? Adibi?) are maturing and really filling their role as well as our Offensive Line "gels", knows the system and produces like Gibbs' lines have in the past.

It's going to be exciting when all this comes together, very shortly.
I agree 100%. I would rank our draft needs next years as:

FS > DE > SLB > RB

This is assuming Brown and Adibi become starters, and one of our corners steps up to the #3 spot. I honestly think we aren't too bad at RB, especially if Slaton performs like he did year before last.
Old 04-28-2008   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I agree 100%. I would rank our draft needs next years as:

FS > DE > SLB > RB

This is assuming Brown and Adibi become starters, and one of our corners steps up to the #3 spot. I honestly think we aren't too bad at RB, especially if Slaton performs like he did year before last.
You can add Drob fully recovering to that.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
You can add Drob fully recovering to that.
True. Knowing D-Rob, he will be back in full force sooner rather than later.... but there is no way to know if he will be 100% when he does return.
Old 04-28-2008   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Best case scenario involves players we already have, and looking for them to develop over this season and heading into the '09 season.

WR- Jacoby develops into the threat we think he can be.
QB- Schaub is healthy and plays like we think he can, and he gets more protection
RB- Taylor shows us he's a good solution for us, Slaton shows us he's a great complimentary back.
OL- Brown develops into our franchise LT, Myers shows he's our C, Winston keeps on keepin on, and Spencer/Frye fill the role as great options at RG. Pitts stays healthy at LG
FB/TE- Daniels and Leach stay healthy

DL- Okam. He's gotta lose a little weight, get some endurance, and a mean streak to go beside Amobi and Mario. He frees up Amobi who progress and rushes the passer and Mario keeps on keepin on and develops more moves. (Here we still need that pass rusher opposite Mario)
LB- Demeco stays healthy. Adibi shows us he was another 4th rd steal and develops into a good WLB. I see SLB as still a long term issue, maybe Diles can fill that role or at least be a good backup for MLB and SLB.
CB- Dunta comes back healthy, Reeves shows to be a great nickle corner, Bennett continues to develop, and Molden becomes a real good player somewhere in the mix.
S- we have Brown, Earl, Harrison, Demps, Barber, and about 30 other SS's. I see this unit as strong. But we could add a FS that can create more turnovers. I wonder how Harrison or Barber could fill that role, or possibly a corner like Molden/Bennett may transition over as long as it doesn't create a weakness in the CB's (I'm not for Dunta moving AT ALL).

So I see a DE, SLB, and FS as the most likely positions to still look at with our high draft picks- and may have a great option in the '09 1st round.
Old 04-28-2008   #17
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Quote:
DL- Okam. He's gotta lose a little weight, get some endurance, and a mean streak to go beside Amobi and Mario. He frees up Amobi who progress and rushes the passer and Mario keeps on keepin on and develops more moves. (Here we still need that pass rusher opposite Mario)
LB- Demeco stays healthy. Adibi shows us he was another 4th rd steal and develops into a good WLB. I see SLB as still a long term issue, maybe Diles can fill that role or at least be a good backup for MLB and SLB.
CB- Dunta comes back healthy, Reeves shows to be a great nickle corner, Bennett continues to develop, and Molden becomes a real good player somewhere in the mix.
S- we have Brown, Earl, Harrison, Demps, Barber, and about 30 other SS's. I see this unit as strong. But we could add a FS that can create more turnovers. I wonder how Harrison or Barber could fill that role, or possibly a corner like Molden/Bennett may transition over as long as it doesn't create a weakness in the CB's (I'm not for Dunta moving AT ALL).

So I see a DE, SLB, and FS as the most likely positions to still look at with our high draft picks- and may have a great option in the '09 1st round.
As of right now the 09 draft seems to be built for our remaining needs. At an early glance the 09 draft seems stacked at the positions we need as you said. FS,SLB,DE
OLB's
Brian Cushing, USC
Sean Lee, Penn State
Marcus Freeman, Ohio State

MLB's - I think all of these mlbs would be great olb's in the nfl.
James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
Rey Maualaga, USC
Brandon Spikes, Florida

and the usc Safties seem pretty good at this point to.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2008   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Painter from Purdue, maybe the best QB prospect of the bunch. looks dreadful right now though, although Tebow is the wild card to be the best of the whole draft class if he keeps improving.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not too early. It's way too early. I just looked at an internet scout's top senior draft board heading into this season, and Okam was #4 prospect. There were a couple of guys on the list who weren't even drafted. A player can finish the season highly regarded, then after the heavy scrutiny, pinching, and poking by NFL scouts, become a mid to late round pick. Slaton, Adibi, and Okam are great examples.

But, don't let me rain on the parade.
Old 04-28-2008   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's not too early. It's way too early. I just looked at an internet scout's top senior draft board heading into this season, and Okam was #4 prospect. There were a couple of guys on the list who weren't even drafted. A player can finish the season highly regarded, then after the heavy scrutiny, pinching, and poking by NFL scouts, become a mid to late round pick. Slaton, Adibi, and Okam are great examples.

But, don't let me rain on the parade.
LOL, I agree with you. But you gotta start somewhere. I think it's a good idea to have a list like this to reference throughout the college season, so we can watch the prospects. Some will fail, some will do good.

I'll also be looking at the Texans throughout the year, trying to identify specific needs and seeing what players in college may help fill them.

You're right though, even Andre Woodson near the end of this season was thought to possibly be the 1st QB taken in the 1st round... 6th round just isn't the same!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read