Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2008   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton a good fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I think what's more apt is picking a 3rd down back in the 3rd round instead of the second pick overall.

Slaton was our third pick in the draft, our 2nd pick in the third round.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #22
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I think what's more apt is picking a 3rd down back in the 3rd round instead of the second pick overall.
Outstanding.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #23
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Slaton was our third pick in the draft, our 2nd pick in the third round.
AJ was comparing were we drafted Slaton to were Bush was drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
AJ was comparing were we drafted Slaton to were Bush was drafted.

ah, it makes sense then. Oops. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Somebody on this board called Slaton a poor man's Reggie Bush, and I thought that was apt. Wouldn't suprise me at all though to see us get more use out of this guy than NO does Bush.
That was me.

BUT the major difference is that Slaton has a pair & he will take it up the middle if he has to.

They have the same skill set, Reggie is just more naturally gifted. On the other hand, Slaton plays smarter, fumbles less, & isn't afraid of contact.

He doesn't deliver much punishment, but he doesn't back down from it either.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #26
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Slaton will probably be up to 205 easy he is basically at 200 pounds right now so I don't see a problem I think he will be our version of Clinton Portis. Steve is very explosive and in the zone blocking scheme he will be the starter on opening day if he can pick up the the blocking assignments.
Old 04-29-2008   #27
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be just too funny if Slayton puts up better stats this year than Bush. I wonder if BSPIN will note it..........nah, that wont happen.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2008   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
It will be just too funny if Slayton puts up better stats this year than Bush. I wonder if BSPIN will note it..........nah, that wont happen.
They will only use the all-purpose yard stat for Bush and McFadden. For Slaton, they will only display his rushing yards.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
They will only use the all-purpose yard stat for Bush and McFadden. For Slaton, they will only display his rushing yards.
On first down.

Just to keep it even.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #30
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I'm really looking forward to seeing what our offense looks like with Slaton. He adds an entirely new dimension to the offense. The only player in franchise history that was a threat to score anytime he touched the ball is/was AJ. Now with Slaton on the field we'll have two guys that can take it to the house anytime they touch the ball which will in turn open up all the other weapons at Schaub's disposal. If Brown catches on quickly and can block the edge rushers he'll be facing this year then I think our offense is going to be explosive!!!
Old 04-29-2008   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting info I found yesterday on Slaton.http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/st...ft_SteveSlaton

I was not a big fan early as some mocks had him in first round or 2nd, but a 3rd round? Should be the most positive selection we made. 4.4 speed and a powerful frame.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1208
Old 04-29-2008   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the pick. The fact they didn't pick a guy more suited to run up the middle full-time to me says they're going to be sticking with Chris Brown, Wanting to see if Ahman will be ready to go, and see what Chris Taylor can bring this year.

Like WR last year I think the RB position has the chance to have the same turnaround.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I think RB's height is extremly overrated. If you have a short RB not only does he have a lower center of gravity but the LB's will also have a harder time seeing over the linemen and wont know as good wich direction he's going in.
It has never, ever been about hight. It's about size.

5'9" 196" is like putting an 18 year kid on the field with a bunch of grown men, he's bound to get hurt, in a bad way.

Sure, guys like Warrick Dunn, and Dante Hall has proven that it can be done, but the are the exception to the rule. No one would ever have believed that Warrick Dunn would have been able to carry the load of a football franchise for an entire season, and if he had ever done it, it would have been thought of as a fluke.
Old 04-29-2008   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans look at the Wunderlich scores . Slaton had one of the or the highest for a RB . Duane Brown had a 29 / the average for an OT is 26 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #35
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think the Texans look at the Wunderlich scores . Slaton had one of the or the highest for a RB . Duane Brown had a 29 / the average for an OT is 26 .
Brown I guess didn't like the score, took it again and got a 32. Seems to be a smart guy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #36
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is also about Reggies wieght, but 4 ish inches shorter. That makes his frame more compact.
Old 04-29-2008   #37
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Steve Slaton will probably be up to 205 easy he is basically at 200 pounds right now so I don't see a problem I think he will be our version of Clinton Portis. Steve is very explosive and in the zone blocking scheme he will be the starter on opening day if he can pick up the the blocking assignments.
Wouldn't worry about that so much, WVU ran the zone blocking scheme so he already has a leg up in that regard. Sure a few tweeks here & there to adjust to the pro game, but for the most part he'll be ok in that regard.

I think the big question with him will be his health for obvious reasons.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It has never, ever been about hight. It's about size.

5'9" 196" is like putting an 18 year kid on the field with a bunch of grown men, he's bound to get hurt, in a bad way.

Sure, guys like Warrick Dunn, and Dante Hall has proven that it can be done, but the are the exception to the rule. No one would ever have believed that Warrick Dunn would have been able to carry the load of a football franchise for an entire season, and if he had ever done it, it would have been thought of as a fluke.
I see Slaton being able to play off a TE or FB block on a blitz and offer QB a 5+ yard option. Once he catches, look out. Slaton was durable in college with 4,000 yds and should be able to miss some tackles. Like Duane Brown, he fits exactly what the coaches have been looking for. Molden at 6'1" and 4.39 is shut down CB stats. Note in link that some projection is to FS as he is strong tackling in the box. I think pressure is on the Brandons this TC. He is being compared to Bennett & that only puts a smile on my face.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/an...molden?id=2011

I'm not ready to say D. Robinson who? But this 3rd round could be very solid for team.
Old 04-29-2008   #39
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Brown I guess didn't like the score, took it again and got a 32. Seems to be a smart guy.
Chris Williams got a 32
Brandon Albert a 23
Ryan Clady a 13

Molden the 3rd rd CB wants to be a prosecuter after football . Okam was rumored to go to law school and Slaton had a really good score . Demeco was an Academic All- American , Okoye started college at 16 ... I'm seeing a trend .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 04-29-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Chris Williams got a 32
Brandon Albert a 23
Ryan Clady a 13

Molden the 3rd rd CB wants to be a prosecuter after football . Okam was rumored to go to law school and Slaton had a really good score . Demeco was an Academic All- American , Okoye started college at 16 ... I'm seeing a trend .
Yes, after our guys body slam you we will then give a tutorial as to how exactly we did it and how it will be done again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read