Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Duane Brown vs Top Competition?

Brown faced off with some highly rated DEs in college which I think will help his transition to the NFL. He's raw but atleast he's faced some quality players. I went ahead and pulled up the Hokies schedule from last season:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/pastschedules.html

Where you can also pull up the gamelogs. This year he played highly rated DEs like Phillip Merling, Calais Campbell, and Chris Long. He also practiced against Chris Ellis. Here are the stats of Merling/Campbell/Long in their games against Brown. If anyone has tape of these games and could review his performances against these players I think we would all appreciate it because stats obviously dont tell the whole story:

Phillip Merling: 3 tackles (1 solo) 1 TFL 1 sack

Calais Campbell: 2 tackles (0 solo) 0 sacks

Chris Long: 6 tackles (4 solo) 1.5 TFL 1 FF 1.5 sacks

Again, these are just stats. If anyone could review the tape of these games it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2008   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown vs Top Competition?

Excellent post. I was thinking about putting something together like this but haven't had time.

Remember that he also played against Mario in his first game starting at tackle.

This kid is used to going against some tough competition. Makes you wonder about those 8.5 sacks last year. Was it his fault or bad QB play?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Excellent post. I was thinking about putting something together like this but haven't had time.

Remember that he also played against Mario in his first game starting at tackle.

This kid is used to going against some tough competition. Makes you wonder about those 8.5 sacks last year. Was it his fault or bad QB play?
Exactly, that's why we need game tape. Was the player not his responsibility? Missed assignment? QB holding the ball too long? Or did he just flat out get beat?
Old 04-28-2008   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that always confuses me about placing blame on a certain player, you must read into what a coaches actual call was for that blocking assignment was. I have seen instances where a LT was blamed but the guard pulled the wrong way and it screwed up that side of the line. Also, the VT line was horid last year in the fact they gave up 59 sacks, granted 8.5 was credited to Brown. If he was trying to hard to over help the guard next to him it could result in him giving up a few of those sacks. How did the guy next to him do?
Old 04-28-2008   #5
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at the VT-UVA game this past year. If I recall correctly, Long recorded his sack against Brown--it was actually a sack, forced fumble and recovery all by Long. Big play, too: VT was up 23-14 and taking control of the game; Long's play set UVA for a TD that pulled the game to 23-21. Alas, my Hoos could not pull it out.

That said, Long did not dominate against the Hokies, but he made some plays. But the one above was the biggest. Take out that one play, and Long's stat line was:
5 tackles (3 solo), .5 TFLs, .5 sacks (assuming a sack is also counted as a TFL).

I still have that game on my DVR--my daughters got on camera in the fourth quarter, so i didn't have the heart to erase it--so I'll see if that play was against Brown.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I was at the VT-UVA game this past year. If I recall correctly, Long recorded his sack against Brown--it was actually a sack, forced fumble and recovery all by Long. Big play, too: VT was up 23-14 and taking control of the game; Long's play set UVA for a TD that pulled the game to 23-21. Alas, my Hoos could not pull it out.

That said, Long did not dominate against the Hokies, but he made some plays. But the one above was the biggest. Take out that one play, and Long's stat line was:
5 tackles (3 solo), .5 TFLs, .5 sacks (assuming a sack is also counted as a TFL).

I still have that game on my DVR--my daughters got on camera in the fourth quarter, so i didn't have the heart to erase it--so I'll see if that play was against Brown.

A fellow UVa guy on the boards, huh? What are the odds? Do you still live in Cville? We should watch a Texans game sometime!

Anyway, I saw that game too, and I remember Long doing pretty well against him most of the day
Old 04-28-2008   #7
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Brown faced off with some highly rated DEs in college which I think will help his transition to the NFL. He's raw but atleast he's faced some quality players. I went ahead and pulled up the Hokies schedule from last season:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/pastschedules.html

Where you can also pull up the gamelogs. This year he played highly rated DEs like Phillip Merling, Calais Campbell, and Chris Long. He also practiced against Chris Ellis. Here are the stats of Merling/Campbell/Long in their games against Brown. If anyone has tape of these games and could review his performances against these players I think we would all appreciate it because stats obviously dont tell the whole story:

Phillip Merling: 3 tackles (1 solo) 1 TFL 1 sack

Calais Campbell: 2 tackles (0 solo) 0 sacks

Chris Long: 6 tackles (4 solo) 1.5 TFL 1 FF 1.5 sacks

Again, these are just stats. If anyone could review the tape of these games it would be much appreciated.
http://forums.tenyardtorrents.com/

Gotta register to DL. If anybody is bored and want to do alittle off-season HW, then by all means go ahead.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing to remember about Brown while reviewing his college tape is that he'll shortly be entering the Alex Gibbs School for Offensive Linemen. Whatever he thought he knew about blocking will be wrong. Brown's game will be broken down, then built back up and his technique at VaTech will have little semblance to what he'll show as a Texan.

As long as Brown is a willing worker, I'm not worried. He has the pro measurables. I'm more concerned with the vets who may be set in their ways. This will be a very interesting training camp.
Old 04-29-2008   #9
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
A fellow UVa guy on the boards, huh? What are the odds? Do you still live in Cville? We should watch a Texans game sometime!

Anyway, I saw that game too, and I remember Long doing pretty well against him most of the day
I graduated UVA in the early 1990s (my time was the Shawn Moore/Bryant Stith era) and have lived in Houston since the mid-1990s. Definitely up for game viewings, but I think the Texans are going to be giving us more reasons to cheer in 2008 than the Hoos will, alas.

Watched some of the game last night, and Long was quite disruptive, but the Hoo DBs had such a miserable time staying with the Hokie receivers (Royal, in particular) that it did not matter. Gibbs definitely has some work to do to get Brown ready, but the raw materials are there.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Another top DE. I dont know for sure if Brown was blocking him or not but VT played LSU last season and this was Brown's 2nd game as a LT.

Tyson Jackson, who is rated by many sites as a top 5 player in next year's draft was held to 2 tackles and 0 sacks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read