Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2008   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Odd Man out @ RB

I'm excited about seeing Ahman Green & Chris Brown this year.

Slaton may not get a chance to play.
Old 04-27-2008   #42
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

what makes you say that? we're probably keeping 4 RBs on the roster, and slaton is obviously going to be one of those guys. i have no idea why some of you guys think he's not gonna see the field... none.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #43
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Considering Green and Browns injury history he may have to play to much!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #44
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i dont think they are going to cut green. ive been wrong before, but if we really wanted to move on without green, he would have been released and designated a june 1st cut in order for him to have enough time to find a team because i think our FO respects its veteran players.

IMO green, brown, taylor, and slaton make the active roster. but i think its also possible that we deal one away (green or taylor) or cut one of them (brown would be my pick)
Old 04-28-2008   #45
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Or the Texans wanted to get his replacement via the draft before they decided Ahman Green was expendable.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #46
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Dave Anderson and Walker are probably both gone. I'm not in the room and I don't know for nothing....they've gotta keep an extra DT for the last eight games. If Fat's Okam can commit to losing some weight, he'll have a spot. Slaton is Shanahand's boy...he isn't going anywhere.
Old 04-28-2008   #47
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
i dont think they are going to cut green. ive been wrong before, but if we really wanted to move on without green, he would have been released and designated a june 1st cut in order for him to have enough time to find a team because i think our FO respects its veteran players.

IMO green, brown, taylor, and slaton make the active roster. but i think its also possible that we deal one away (green or taylor) or cut one of them (brown would be my pick)

I don't think Green is going anywhere either or else they would of gambled on losing Brown and selected mendenhall. believe anything believe Brown wouldn't have been there at the 79.
Old 04-28-2008   #48
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cook is the one that's toast IMO. Taylor will be named a FB (they had him there a bit last year) and Walker likely goes to the PS until Green gets hurt which shouldn't be longer than week 2.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #49
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Walker is elgible for the PS. Wasn't he on the active roster a bunch of games last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #50
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Totally agree. Injuries will send these guys off the field, and now the Texans have a full stable of runners to substitute for each other. Plus, I see the Texans using multiple backs anyway.

I still think that if things had worked out ideally, Green would have been running for quarters 1-3 of the first 3/4th of the games. Dayne would be running in the fourth quarter, or once the lead got long, and would start taking over later in the season. The way I see it, the Texans now have the backs to implement this kind of system. Slaton was an excellent pick.
Unless there's someway to stop someone from signing a practice squad player there is no way this happens. If anyone Taylor will start on the PS. Not a third round pick.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #51
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:

For what reason? Even when Green was on the field his play was disappointingly mediocre, same deal with Brown.

I'm more excited to see what Slaton can do, as we've never had a RB with his sort of dynamics. You could compare him to DD/W, but Slaton is unquestionably quicker and more explosive. I think this kid could do wonders for the team's running game. His ceiling is certainly much higher than either Green's or Brown's is today.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #52
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

With Walker, I think it's practice squad or cut for him. I don't know if he is eligible for PS or not. IMO, he is the most likely of the group to be let go. The more I think about, the more likely it seems they may keep all of the other 4 guys. Green and Taylor now both have injury concerns.

Just like it looks like they will carry 3 QBs, I think they will carry 4 RBs just for injury insurance. I know for sure they don't want to go into a game with Shane Boyd and Joe Echemandu. That almost happened last year. Ok not almost, but it was within the realm of possibility.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #53
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really looking forward to that 1 quarter of the first game where we get to see Brown and Green play. Should be great. We will get to see if Slaton can carry the load in the second half.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think Walker and Green will be gone.
Old 04-28-2008   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
For what reason? Even when Green was on the field his play was disappointingly mediocre, same deal with Brown.
I don't entirely agree with this. When Green was healthy and feeling good last year, he looked pretty good. Even when he wasn't all that healthy, he still looked good at times. That 50 yard screen pass against the Raiders was nice and would have been better if he had been healthy. He had stretches where he was running hard and looking good.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #55
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't see Taylor making the team. I think that Walker has made a case for himself and depending on how he does in training camp he may continue to have a job. I also remember about this time last year we were going wow I can't beleive he have a problem of " TOO MANY RB's". Barring injury we may be good at the RB position this year. Just remember Walker was cut and by the end of the season was playing most of the game.
Old 04-28-2008   #56
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
I honestly don't see Taylor making the team. I think that Walker has made a case for himself and depending on how he does in training camp he may continue to have a job. I also remember about this time last year we were going wow I can't beleive he have a problem of " TOO MANY RB's". Barring injury we may be good at the RB position this year. Just remember Walker was cut and by the end of the season was playing most of the game.
We truly won't know for sure until TC, but I see Walker and Cook being the odd men out. If (big if) Taylor remains healthy he'd be our swing between RB and a backup for Vonta. He'd have to contribute alot to STs too. Green and Brown will be the primary RBs and Slaton will contribute on 3rd down situations and heavy on STs.

There's still a slim chance Green will be whacked too.

This is only my opinion.
Old 04-28-2008   #57
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Personally, I would keep Walker, Taylor and Slaton, and cut Brown and Green.

I doubt that they do this, but it would be what I do.
Old 04-28-2008   #58
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more of a guy that likes the hardnosed RB to pound the ball up the middle and run over guys (while still possessing quickness,vision, and moves) over the scat back type of back like a Bush, Jones, or Slaton...

With that said, I'm really excited to see Slaton play on our team and how we use him. No doubt he's a homerun threat and that's something Kubiak has been looking for.

Having Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, Andre Davis and Steve Slaton all on the field at the same time will sure cause a few headaches for defensive coordinators!

The more I think about our RB situation, the more i'm unsure of how many we keep. I think with Green/Brown being injury prone we need as many bodies as we can have.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #59
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Well if Shanny and Smith have been telling the truth to McClain accoring to his blog today Shanny says Green is healthy and they are excited about seeing him in camp. McClain says(grain of salt) Texans will carry four since all have a history of injury being Green, Brown, Taylor and Slayton making Walker the odd man out!
This is the way I see it also.

IF Green stays healthy, and that's a big IF, he can still play.

Now cut and paste the last sentence and insert color Brown for color Green.

Slaton will be a third-down, in the slot, change of pace back. (He will play)

Taylor for backup of one of the previous colors.

Walker out.

Green and Brown stay healthy, and we have a really good backfield.
Old 04-28-2008   #60
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post

Green and Brown stay healthy, and we have a really good backfield.
It really seems we've been plagued by injuries in the past. If this year is any different, we could have an outstanding team and like you said backfield too.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read