Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2008   #21
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Odd Man out @ RB

There is ZERO chance Slaton gets put on the practice squad. The guy was picked in the 3rd round. Someone would come in and sign him to a contract in a heartbeat.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #22
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think Walker is gone. And if Taylor can report to camp healthy, then i think Green will be cut as well. So that would leave us with the depth chart at

1. Brown
2. Slaton
3. Taylor

maybe flip 2 and 3 around.
Old 04-27-2008   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
They will start off with Slaton on the practice squad and when Ahman Green goes on injured reserve the third week he will move up. That way, no one has to be cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!
Totally agree. Injuries will send these guys off the field, and now the Texans have a full stable of runners to substitute for each other. Plus, I see the Texans using multiple backs anyway.

I still think that if things had worked out ideally, Green would have been running for quarters 1-3 of the first 3/4th of the games. Dayne would be running in the fourth quarter, or once the lead got long, and would start taking over later in the season. The way I see it, the Texans now have the backs to implement this kind of system. Slaton was an excellent pick.
Old 04-27-2008   #24
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
They will start off with Slaton on the practice squad and when Ahman Green goes on injured reserve the third week he will move up. That way, no one has to be cut.
:elle: we drafted slaton to play NOW, and he's going to do that. walker is the odd man out, and it's not even CLOSE.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #25
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys do know that other teams can sign players off your practice squad right? Putting Slaton on the practice squad would be like giftwrapping him for another team because there is no doubt in my mind someone would scoop him up.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #26
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
There is ZERO chance Slaton gets put on the practice squad. The guy was picked in the 3rd round. Someone would come in and sign him to a contract in a heartbeat.
exactly... that would be probably the stupidest move EVER.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #27
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think Walker is gone. And if Taylor can report to camp healthy, then i think Green will be cut as well. So that would leave us with the depth chart at

1. Brown
2. Slaton
3. Taylor

I think we go a winner here!
Old 04-27-2008   #28
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

1. Brown
2. Slaton
3. Taylor

I see these three being the final three as well, but I think Slaton might be third in the early going and maybe flipping with Taylor before long.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #29
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

no chance slaton starts on the practice squad. not a 3rd round pick.
ahman will get cut hopefully. i think sherman had a lot to do with getting him here and hes at A&M now. if not, taylor is gone.
we wont cut brown. brown is good.
brown and slaton are sure things and i think walker might be as well. hes cheap and pretty good.
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #30
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 127 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Admittedly I dont understand the salary cap hit for sutting Green. Is it better to cut him before June 1st, which of course means no camp to see how his health is, or can we wait until cut down time. It sure would be nice if we could bring all of the guys to camp and let them compete for the job. I want to see of Taylor is really worth all the time Kubiak and Smith have spent defending him.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #31
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Ahman Green is the odd man out as well. He's old. He was a horrible signing. He's been injured. I just don't see him making the team.

I think Chris Brown will be our starter. Chris Taylor and Darius Walker will battle in training camp for the #2 spot and Slaton will be 3rd on the depth chart.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #32
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 127 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSuffering View Post
If we cut Green after signing his ancient ass to a ridiculous contract Smith should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY.

Signing Moulds, Green, all those zillion year vets who are going to be in wheelchairs by the time we make the playoffs, then cutting them, just pisses me off.

DO NOT sign veteran players who aren't going to be here in three years when we're making a playoff run. It's worthless. Sign and play young kids. Even if we lose more games it just means higher draft positions, and we're getting a look at somebody who might make the team long-term and really help us.

Christ...

By that logic does that mean even if we do sign a bad player we should just suck it up instead of cutting or losses.

Support our troops
Old 04-27-2008   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Green
Brown
Slaton
Taylor as a HB-FB hybrid

Cook wil be cut
Walker wil go to the PS
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #34
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Green
Brown
Slaton
Taylor as a HB-FB hybrid

Cook wil be cut
Walker wil go to the PS
I was thinking it would be interesting if they could line up Slaton together with Taylor in a two-back set.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #35
Foo'ball Fool
noob

Slaton's in; thats a no-brainer. I'd forgotten that they were interested in Taylor lining up @ FB. For that reason, he may have a chance. But I think in camp, no matter what, it'll be fish-or-cut-bait for him. Can HE stay healthy? I'm going to be interested in what they do with Green/Brown. Maybe the first one to get hurt is out, the other is in, putting one in the backfield with Taylor & Slaton. I have a feeling that Slaton will be starting by mid-season, if not sooner, anyway.
Foo'ball Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #36
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i like walker, wish him the best
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #37
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the one kid gets designated as FB. We keep 3 RBs and 2 FBs. Cook is gone and Walker, if he has PS time left, goes there. Otherwise he is toast, until Green or Brown are out injured. Then he comes back. Green might be cut as a June 1 guy, but I doubt it. Kubes is very loyal to vets and will give him his chance to play healthy. However long that might be.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #38
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

If u look at denver when kubes was there, they always carried 5 rbs and like 2 fbs. They'll have green,brown,taylor,leach,and the other fb active, walker inactive and slaton on practice. Just because he was drafted in the 3rd, he has to earn his pt. slaton is cool, but we're not talking about the next payton or anything.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #39
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Well if Shanny and Smith have been telling the truth to McClain accoring to his blog today Shanny says Green is healthy and they are excited about seeing him in camp. McClain says(grain of salt) Texans will carry four since all have a history of injury being Green, Brown, Taylor and Slayton making Walker the odd man out!

Support our troops
Old 04-27-2008   #40
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are people wanting to move one of the RB to FB when we will have 3 going into camp?

Jon Abbate
Jameel Cook
Vonta Leach

Now granted I do not think we will carry 3 on the roster during the regular season or the post-season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read