Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2008   #41
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: John McLain Explains Why Duane Brown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
i kinda agree with this from mailman on the draft thread

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...&postcount=367
Thanks. I edited that comment for clarity.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #42
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
people can make it personal all they want, I will just be the bigger man and stay above it. i think they panicked on the pick and it was a reach. feel free to subscribe to your own opinion on how it all went down. its your right just like it was your right to make excuses for Carr year after year. i was right then but hopefully I am wrong on this one....I just wont hold my breath.
So your saying you were not making personal attacks when you called the coaches and GM morons and how they ruined this team for the next ten years. The way you went on about it was way out of line and over the top. It is not as if you said I disagree with this pick and here is what I would have done ..... No you went on a rant that jets fans would have been proud of. I never want anyone to confuse us with how they react, ever!!

Being right about ykw is the only thing you have been right on and you have held onto that and that is the one instance you bring up. got any others? Opps nope, you calling a turd a turd is funny because sometimes you are calling an unblossumed flower a turd. You over react quicker than anyone here and you know it or at least you should and admit it.

So because I am agreeing with what Vinny said and said I liked the pick from the get go I am a sheep? That makes no damn since what so ever. No your just a wind bag that loves to have a ***** fest every couple weeks and if your not whinning or complaining about a player or a coach then your not happy. What a way to go through life, geez.

You have never liked systems? So teams should not use just a 3-4 and
or 4-3 and get personel to fit either 'system' or 'scheme'? That is what teams do, they all do it and it happens on both sides of the ball. KC runs a power system and a back like Joseph Addai would not fit that sytem, so go ahead and draft him and change the system to fit him but now you do not have the lineman that fits his type of running game.

You hope Gibbs is the coach everyone says he is? Hear is a novel idea, take a look at his TRACK RECORD! The only person with their pink panties in a wad is you and constant over reacting and hating something all the damn time.
Old 04-28-2008   #43
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Being right about ykw is the only thing you have been right on and you have held onto that and that is the one instance you bring up. got any others? Opps nope, you calling a turd a turd is funny because sometimes you are calling an unblossumed flower a turd. You over react quicker than anyone here and you know it or at least you should and admit it.

So because I am agreeing with what Vinny said and said I liked the pick from the get go I am a sheep? That makes no damn since what so ever. No your just a wind bag that loves to have a ***** fest every couple weeks and if your not whinning or complaining about a player or a coach then your not happy. What a way to go through life, geez.

You have never liked systems? So teams should not use just a 3-4 and
or 4-3 and get personel to fit either 'system' or 'scheme'? That is what teams do, they all do it and it happens on both sides of the ball. KC runs a power system and a back like Joseph Addai would not fit that sytem, so go ahead and draft him and change the system to fit him but now you do not have the lineman that fits his type of running game.

You hope Gibbs is the coach everyone says he is? Hear is a novel idea, take a look at his TRACK RECORD! The only person with their pink panties in a wad is you and constant over reacting and hating something all the damn time.
I was right about Carr, Babin, TJ over DJ, Weaver, Carr's resigning, PBuc trade, and getting rid of Aaron Glenn after the PBuc trade. there are others like Richard Smith needing to be fired, but that jury is still out for some reason.

I was wrong about Moulds as I thought he would have helped our offense and am currently wrong over VY over Mario. I wanted us to cut ties with Carr (correct) and draft VY over Mario (tough to call due to so many circumstances but will give edge to Mario over VY currently obviously) I was always pro-VY over Mario until the Texans so wisely resigned Carr which then made the decision/opinion mute.

whatever spec. you don't like me. who cares? you have the credibility of a rock when it comes to objective opinions re:Texans.
Old 04-28-2008   #44
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was right about Carr, Babin, TJ over DJ, Weaver, Carr's resigning, PBuc trade, and getting rid of Aaron Glenn after the PBuc trade. there are others like Richard Smith needing to be fired, but that jury is still out for some reason.

Anything you've been correct about since the creation of Smithiak?
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #45
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Second Honeymoon is a St. Louis Cardinal's fan..........

.............'nuff said.

Old 04-28-2008   #46
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Anything you've been correct about since the creation of Smithiak?
Sure. But I have shared the opinion of Smithiak on almost all moves except Richard Smith and Duane Brown at #26 thus nothing to be 'right' about.

I like RS and I loved the trade down...I just wasn't happy with the selection. BFD its my opinion.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 04-28-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak should have been fired based on the play of the team. Flatlining. And it was more of 'Lets hire Cowher' than 'Lets fire Kubiak'.
well I guess we could "coach by committe" first quarter Kubiak, 2nd quarter Cowher and so on
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2008   #48
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Second Honeymoon is a St. Louis Cardinal's fan..........

.............'nuff said.

dont go there, TB

but yes, I love my Redbirds. too bad ownership is still too busy admiring their recent World Series championship and too busy printing money to spend any $$$ to make the team competitive for a championship run. I guess having nearly $40 million on the DL will do that to ya.
Old 04-28-2008   #49
HPF Bob
GM Emeritus

Rep Power: 0 HPF Bob is on the Pro-Bowl ballotHPF Bob is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
But... they are smarter than you. This is what they do for a living.
"Myself, I would have prefered Dan Marino but obviously the Jets know something we don't." - Jet fan reacting on ESPN to the choice of Ken O'Brien during the 1983 draft.
HPF Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #50
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was wrong about Moulds as I thought he would have helped our offense and am currently wrong over VY over Mario. I wanted us to cut ties with Carr (correct) and draft VY over Mario (tough to call due to so many circumstances but will give edge to Mario over VY currently obviously) I was always pro-VY over Mario until the Texans so wisely resigned Carr which then made the decision/opinion mute.

whatever spec. you don't like me. who cares? you have the credibility of a rock when it comes to objective opinions re:Texans.
Well, if you're a pessimist rooting for a bad team then you will be right quite a bit. Similarly, an optimist (or what you call "sheeple), are right some to- not because of a discerning eye but simply the law of averages. The criticism of you than some have, isn't that you are discerning and impartial, it's that you are simply cynical and bitter. The fact that sometimes that leads you to being correst is hardly something to be proud of. Nor is that fact that being a Longhorn homer will sometimes prove you to be right- though my opinion of DJ as a pro is not what yours is apparently.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #51
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The bottom line is, no matter what the Texans F.O. tells us, we'll never know whether Brown was "their guy" from the start or not.

My "personal take" on what happened and why I'm not 'upset' with the Draft.

- The Texans were feeling good through pick 10 or so, as it looked like some of the 'higher-ranked' tackles might fall to them.

- The R-U-N on tackles began and the Texans had an offer(s) to move up to #18 which would allow them to obtain additional picks for depth at need positions, while still getting quality with a late-round first.

- The cowgirls sniped us at #25 for Jenkins and our F.O. got awfully nervous about their "backup plan" being available, so they spent the pick on Brown, who might not have made it out of the 1st Round, and would NEVER have made it through the 2nd.

- The remainder of our picks were for needs and / or youth. (Today's starters & backup WILL eventually get hurt, retire, etc.)

- The QB pick gives us a little more flexibility down the road if they do trade Sage as QBs go down in TC / Pre-Season & what-not.

Like somebody mentioned earlier - Who do you want "grading" your pick? It's hard to argue w/ Belichick on grading LBs. Who (other than Gibbs) do you want evaluating your ZBS LT?
My sentiments exactly
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, if you're a pessimist rooting for a bad team then you will be right quite a bit. Similarly, an optimist (or what you call "sheeple), are right some to- not because of a discerning eye but simply the law of averages. The criticism of you than some have, isn't that you are discerning and impartial, it's that you are simply cynical and bitter. The fact that sometimes that leads you to being correst is hardly something to be proud of. Nor is that fact that being a Longhorn homer will sometimes prove you to be right- though my opinion of DJ as a pro is not what yours is apparently.
Well said

TTP

Now that we've gotten our LT how long do you think it will take Gibbs to get him up to speed?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #53
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a helluva lot easier to modify a system than it is to acquire/sign/draft new players.
are you serious?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #54
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
are you serious?
yes. it is easier to find a system to fit your players than to find players to fit your system....and cheaper. but whatever, the pick was made and I hope he does well. I am just sick of the Texans bucking conventional wisdom and making braindead moves in the 1st Round. This is the 4th braindead move in 7 drafts. Carr. Babin. TJ. Duane Brown. All poor selections in the first round.
Old 04-28-2008   #55
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yes. it is easier to find a system to fit your players than to find players to fit your system....and cheaper. but whatever, the pick was made and I hope he does well. I am just sick of the Texans bucking conventional wisdom and making braindead moves in the 1st Round. This is the 4th braindead move in 7 drafts. Carr. Babin. TJ. Duane Brown. All poor selections in the first round.
I totally agree

signed
New England Patriots

for the record, I find it that New England finds players that fit their system

You can get all the talent you want but if it isn't the right system for the players or you don't put the players in a system where they can succeed then all is lost ..see Washington Redskins
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #56
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yes. it is easier to find a system to fit your players than to find players to fit your system....and cheaper.
easier (very debatable imo) and cheaper.. but which results in better defence.

the pats, ravens, bucs etc find players for their system not the other way around.. just saying
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #57
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you change the system to fit the players, you're going to be going through a lot of coaching changes. Different coaches have different philosophies, strengths, weaknesses, etc. If you keep changing the schemes then your going to have to get new coaches that know how to gameplan, call the plays, and teach the players.

I think it's BEST to get a system in place, even if it takes a few years, and consistently draft/pick players that fit a certain role. Doesn't mean it's the right way, just the way I think is best.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #58
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only braindead moves that are relavant are ones that are tied to this current regime. Kubiak has now been around for 3 drafts. Anything before is irrelevant imo due to them being chosen in a Capers/Casserly blueprint. I am sure you probably considered the Mario braindead as well... and look at it now? Jury is still out on Okoye but no real worries from the organization or the fans as a whole on his future. The benefit of the doubt should be there from the past 2 first rounders and not to mention having the seal of approval from Alex Gibbs... who has engineered top 10 running games in 15 of his 16 years in coaching.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #59
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

For those looking for more footage of Brown, I found this clip at SI.com:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...30970&i=213765

Most of it we've already seen, but some is new. Make sure you watch to the end, it's worth it....
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #60
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Virtually half (not a literal number but mean to make a point) of the football world was right on that with the exception of the initial David Carr selection back in 2002 (and I personally wasn't very high on the selection either but I grew to love the pick. Especially after 19-10. I can't help that. I'm a Houston Texan fan and winning gets the best of me and gives me hope.). I think that a LOT of people screamed over everything that you're trying to take credit for. Don't be patting yourself on your back too hard here.

I'm kinda clamoring for Richard Smith to be gone myself but I do find myself to be very calm thinking about Duane Brown. When the Texans' pick came up and Mendenhall was still on the board, as our selection came to the podium... I went YEEEEEEEE.....uh.....AAAAAHHHHHHHHH. The uh came when Duane Brown's name came up instead of Mendenhall. I definitely hesitated but I really am genuinely excited about him. Will he flop? Maybe. I don't really care at this point. I just really don't have this flop-istic feeling surrounding him. I can find several things that I'm not feeling too keen on about him but this has somewhat of a ' in the eye of the hurricane' feeling for me. Everything's so quiet. I have nothing but hope. I just really think that the storm has truly passed rather than us actually being in the eye of a hurricane. We have made our selection. I'm very happy with Duane Brown at #26. I do not believe it to be a reach of any kind.

If Duane Brown was targeted at 26. Great! If not, who the bleep cares. He's a Houston Texan. We'll never know the truth which is why I don't bleeping care.

Come on. Let's enjoy our draft selections. Even the Brink one. I know you can do it! But don't be patting yourself on the back for the blunders that the Texans have made in the past. A lot of people saw them. A lot.

I'll start....

HOU-STON....

Your turn? Get in it!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read