Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2004   #1
TexasProud

Default Turf

I read that Mason was complaining about the turf, was it that bad and are they going to do anything about it before the colts game?
Old 11-29-2004   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Whenever the Texans are ready to go ahead and admit that the grass trays aren't working out like they'd planned I'm ready to see the new Field Turf system. The field is the only thing at Reliant Stadium that's less than perfect.

It was a really good attempt IMO. They did everything humanly possible to try and put a real grass field in there and the fact that it's not working very well is no reflection on the work they've done. It's not meant to be so it's time to move on.
Old 11-29-2004   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I love having real turf in Reliant. But it almost seems that before the games, they water the thing down like crazy. By the 3rd quarter, it was all chewed up in the middle of the field.
Does this mean Field Turf in the near future? I hope not...but its not a bad thing. Less upkeep, less cost.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw a lot of players slipping in this game and the Packer game. Probably not a good sign.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to admit this, but the grass is just not working in Reliant Stadium. The south end of the field never receives any sunlight at all. The field always looks bare and brown.

The only way to keep the grass trays would be to rotate them with another field outside of Reliant Stadium after each game. Otherwise, Field Turf seems to be the only solution if you want a good looking field.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #6
Demon
Rookie

Of course, look at cold weather fields. They can be worse than Reliant's. I am not an advocate of any kind of plastic grass. I'd rather keep the trays. We've had them three years and they work. Perhaps not the best. Perhaps not the worst.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #7
dan7
Veteran

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I love having real turf in Reliant. But it almost seems that before the games, they water the thing down like crazy. By the 3rd quarter, it was all chewed up in the middle of the field.
Does this mean Field Turf in the near future? I hope not...but its not a bad thing. Less upkeep, less cost.
Qwest Field in Seattle has had Field Turf from Day 1; the players like it a lot...
Old 11-29-2004   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Well, the field will get even more chewed up this evening when Houston hosts Louisiana Tech tonight.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #9
THE_SOOTHSAYER
Rookie

The tray system didn't work well in the Meadowlands either. The Field turf they installed last year has worked out really well. The players love it.
THE_SOOTHSAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

During the game yesterday you could see that there were problems with the field. There were brown spots here and there and while I didn't notice anybody slipping the field looked less than pristine. I'm sure they'll get that problem fixed during the summer.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #11
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Well, the field will get even more chewed up this evening when Houston hosts Louisiana Tech tonight.
Actually, it will be the Rice Owls taking on Louisiana Tech this evening. That game was moved to Monday so the filed would not be chewed up for the Titan game.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

And the simple fact that they're moving games around to try and keep the field from being destroyed demonstrates that it's just not a practical system. Reliant isn't a true outdoor stadium. It just isn't. It's a really big arena with a sunroof. I love the place but the field is one ugly sucker and apparently it's not much fun to play on. Of course Mason could have been just griping because they lost but we've all seen this downhill slide that takes place every season with the grass so he couldn't have been going too overboard.

Getting it "fixed over the summer" is a good idea of course but this is what? The third summer they're going to have to try and get it fixed? Go get the Field Turf guys involved and fix it once and for all I say.
Old 11-29-2004   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Players often make comments about field conditions at certain stadiums.

I remember some use to say playing at the Vet in Philly was like playing on concrete with a grass mat on the top of it.

I'm sure they'll resolve whatever field problems they are having.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #14
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

From the chronic

Quote:
Titans receiver Derrick Mason blasted the grounds crew at Reliant Stadium following Sunday's game, calling the field the worst he has played on in his eight-year career.

"That footing was horrible, but that's not an excuse," Mason said. "That's probably the worst surface I've played on since I've been in the NFL. Somebody needs to do something about that surface because somebody could seriously get hurt."

Shea Guinn, president of stadium operating company SMG, defended the condition of the field.

"He obviously isn't playing on three inches of mud in New England," he said. "The NFL was in here just last week. They said the field looked as good as most fields in the league."
Suck it up Derrick and play ball.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the only team whos opinion really matters is the Texans, since they have to play on it 8 times a year. If they like it, then who are we to question it? (especially if it slows Indy's offense down at all in two weeks!)
Old 12-07-2004   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, to me, for anyone to even have the slightest reason to complain about the condition of the turf, whether it be the opposing teams' players or not . . . indicates that something is indeed wrong.

I just watched the Seahawks/Cowboys game tonight, and the Field Turf at the Quest looked very good, and from my understanding the players love it.

Will the condition of the turf be an issue again this Sunday against the Colts? Why wouldn't it be? Will those grass trays get any more sunlight than they did two weeks ago? Are they going to have to spray twice as much green paint on the field Sunday as they did two weeks ago to cover up all the brown dead grass?

Derrick Mason complained about the turf two weeks ago. Now, just imagine Peyton Manning, or Marvin Harrison, or Brandon Stokely complaining about it.

On second thought, maybe I'd welcome that kind of PR embarrassment. That might be the kick-in-the-teeth needed to convince the brass that the grass system is not working.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-07-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #17
tana
Rookie

... or if one of them got injured in the sand, the media would be all over it.

It sounds like you have an absolutely beautiful facility, I hope to see it someday, but seems like they need to take one more step and go a different direction than the trays.
tana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #18
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning and Harrison slipping on the turf is bad for us how?

How many people have complained about the turf? One. Maybe he wasn't wearing the right shoes.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep an eye on our DB's this weekend, they will be slipping and sliding all over the place.

Maybe Capers can blame the turf for having the worst pass defense in the league.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Manning and Harrison slipping on the turf is bad for us how?

How many people have complained about the turf? One. Maybe he wasn't wearing the right shoes.
Slipping on it is one thing. Complaining about it is quite another. Derrick Mason was just the beginning.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read