Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2008   #241
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Mario Williams ignited the fanbase. That was a good pick from the beginning. He was on the radar. A guy like Brown is going to take time to build up and the Texas MUST be successful.

Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #242
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

1st rounder (Brown) - Pitts - Meyers - Weary(?) - Winston

Nice lineup. I'm curious about that right guard spot.

Note: both starting tackles used to play tight end.
Old 04-26-2008   #243
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.
I'm sure they did the best they could but as irrational fans of course we want more

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #244
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Football Futures write-up

Duane Brown OT 65 308 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis
Brown signed on with the Hokies as a tight end. He redshirted his first year in the program, then caught three passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in his first season on the field. He was moved to offensive tackle before the 2005 season, and moved into the starting lineup at right tackle. Hes been a starter at tackle since.

Brown is a very good athlete, and has a lot of upside because of his natural ability. He was a tight end just two years ago, so he has the natural athleticism, quickness, and lateral agility to be a quality pass protector in the NFL. Brown has been a solid performer on the field, but it is the upside that entices teams.

This is just his third season on the offensive line, so he is definitely a work in progress. He is relying on his talent and intensity right now because of his inexperience. He lacks consistency on the field, and may need time to develop before he steps on to the field. Brown will also need to continue to get stronger in the NFL to develop a more well rounded game.

Duane Brown has a lot of upside, and that may cause him to be taken earlier than his on field performance has shown to date. The natural gifts he has project very well to the left side in the NFL, and everyone is looking for a left tackle that can keep the quarterback standing.

Just highlighted a couple of key points.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #245
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.
I didn't. I liked the Mario pick. This pick...I don't like, but will give it a try. I'm not as upset as I was earlier when it was made.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #246
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor draft value management on Smith, this guy could have been taken lower as he is not a fit for most NFL offenses.

We know he can coach, but I don't know how many O-lineman Gibbs has drafted?

I guess we'll never know, but I hate the idea of Arkansas Jerry & the Arlington County Criminals stepping in ahead of us on CB Jenkins.

We'll see if Brown works out....I'm fairly optimistic at this point he won't bust. Also, didn't McClain highlight Brown a while back as the pick?

An aside: getting tired of hearing Charlie Casserly taking full credit for Mario when we know Mr. McNair took Bush's name off the table (character) and Kubiak nixed Vince.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #247
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.
Read earlier in this thread that he was one of three linemen targeted by Smith. Glad he made this trade, considering the situation we were in; williams and albert being off the board. We needed a talented LT and we got it.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2008   #248
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could not help but post this. This was in 2006 after he had begun playing tackle but surely he was not as big as he is now.

Covering on special teams!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111001461.html

Support our troops
Old 04-26-2008   #249
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Being a guy who bashes Schaub for being anointed as "the man," it's interesting to see so many doing the same thing: Bitching about someone they think is a "reach."

LOL. Whatsa' matter fellas? This is KUBIAK'S guy. He's the man. Deal with it.

One Olineman does not a team make. I think he'll fit in well with the other linemen, and Gibbs (to me) ties it all together.

Kubiak drafts well in the 3rd round. Wait for it....
Old 04-26-2008   #250
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Hey, LT has been the big problem of the offense since Bocelli. Nice to see it finally given the attention it deserves. Like others are saying, there were three tackles the Texans could take and fit their scheme. The other two were gone (and they probably had a good idea they'd be gone, too), so taking the best LT they can get for that position is great.

I understand why people are piffed. He's not bpa at #18 or #26. This was a need selection. Unfortunately, as the team gets shored up, needs will time-to-time override bpa's. I hope they look more at bpa though when they get to select again.
Old 04-26-2008   #251
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Poor draft value management on Smith, this guy could have been taken lower as he is not a fit for most NFL offenses.

We know he can coach, but I don't know how many O-lineman Gibbs has drafted?

I guess we'll never know, but I hate the idea of Arkansas Jerry & the Arlington County Criminals stepping in ahead of us on CB Jenkins.

We'll see if Brown works out....I'm fairly optimistic at this point he won't bust. Also, didn't McClain highlight Brown a while back as the pick?

An aside: getting tired of hearing Charlie Casserly taking full credit for Mario when we know Mr. McNair took Bush's name off the table (character) and Kubiak nixed Vince.
I have to disagee, he was not picked to play in MOST nfl offenses he was targeted for the Zone Scheme which he is thought to be a good fit for. He was the next highest rated tackle on ther board when we drafted, and considering we have no second round pick there was not chance to wait for a later oppurtunity. The way teams were trading today it was possible to have someone jump up and grab him while we were screwing around with a second trade.

Support our troops
Old 04-26-2008   #252
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Kubiak drafts well in the 3rd round. Wait for it....
Kevin Smith and Charles Godfrey *crosses fingers*
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #253
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm behind Smith and Kubes. Both were the guys I wanted from the begining, but that doesn't mean I don't question some of thier decisions. Your right, these guys may know more then every person on this board, but they don't know more then every person out there.

Rivals had him ranked as the 12 best OT. SI had him graded out as a 3.78 out of 6 points, which means First Year Contributer. Jeff Otah (4.12), Rashad Mendenhall (4.2) and Sam Baker (3.8) could all have been had at 17 and were considered to be Quality Prospects. Scout.com ranked Duane as the 16th best tackle with 2 out of 5 stars. And, FootballsFutures.com ranks him as the 10th best tackle.

With all the internet research I've done on this guy tonight, nobody had this guy as a first round talent. So basically, what did we end up with from today. Three 3rd round draft pick in the 2008 draft instead of a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

Kind of like the 2 minute offense last year, Kubes buckled under pressure.

We'll need to do better then this if we are going to contend in this league. Right now we did nothing to change our 8-8 record.

Last edited by Hagar; 04-26-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #254
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

Duane, welcome to Houston...I wish you the best.

In kubiak and smith we trust.

Again, I was pissed, and overreacted. I got over it.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #255
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Kevin Smith and Charles Godfrey *crosses fingers*
And I cannot believe Early Doucet is still available.

I'd take Choice or Smith. Don't know much about Godfrey.

I don't think Kevin Smith will be there for us.
Old 04-26-2008   #256
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.
A second assessment that says to me, this is Gibbs' type of tackle. I doubt he replaces Salaam from day one, in his rookie year, but this could well be the anchor of our line for years to come.

Sorry we didn't pick the hyped-up RB for you guys easily distracted by shiny things. But I'm thinking we've got our line of the future right now.

By the end of the season don't be surprised to see this lineup....
Brown, Frye, Chris Myers, Big Nasty, Winston.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #257
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

Its all good thats why the draft has turned into a fan event! Just remember most everyone on here loves the Texans like you do and just because we have different opinions does not me we arent all after the same thing, a Texans Superbowl win. Heres hoping tomorrow gives us all picks we like!

Support our troops
Old 04-26-2008   #258
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Allright, allright.

Shoot, you have the right to get angry about it--I didn't think poorly of you for being so vocal about your displeasure.

IMO, if we went Mendenhall this year...we'd be going OL in 1st round of next year's draft. It's a deal of saying "which do we need FIRST?" and I guess Kubiak is determined to give Gibbs what he wants. Apparently, Gibbs got insode Kubiak's head and said to him "Uh, why don't we stop the madness on the defensive picks and let's start building an oline here, ok?" And Kubiak nodded.

Hopefully it's what it's deemed to be. Hopefully.
Old 04-26-2008   #259
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
A second assessment that says to me, this is Gibbs' type of tackle. I doubt he replaces Salaam from day one, in his rookie year, but this could well be the anchor of our line for years to come.

Sorry we didn't pick the hyped-up RB for you guys easily distracted by shiny things. But I'm thinking we've got our line of the future right now.

By the end of the season don't be surprised to see this lineup....
Brown, Frye, Chris Myers, Big Nasty, Winston.
From ESPN:

http://.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/t...draftyear=2008

How he fits: Brown is better than either Ephraim Salaam or Jordan Black at left tackle. This was a need for them because the Texans struggled to produce in the running game last year. The Texans are set at right tackle with Eric Winston and improved the interior with the trade for Chris Myers. The Texans play in a tough division and in order for this team to get better, they need to bolster the offensive line and Brown does that.

Support our troops
Old 04-26-2008   #260
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Build our offensive and defensive lines first. I think this will be a great pick. A solid O-Line can make most NFL running backs look great......a poor O-Line will make that same running back look terrible ( Edgerrin James ). Forget Mendenhall and the other running backs. YOU CANNOT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT DOMINANCE IN THE TRENCHES!!
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read