Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2008   #201
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

I am going to give the guy time before I judge the pick any how.

So I really had no reactoin. The only time I get disappointed in a pick is if we draft a position we don't need. We needed a LT, we got one, and who knows he might ancor this spot a long time from now.

I will say this...a lot of people dissed the Mario Williams pick and looked how that worked out.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #202
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?
I was being slightly sarcastic.

I respect Harris' opinion, but I think he's the only guy who I've seen who has said Duane Brown was a 4th rounder. Somebody posted a link that showed he was a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. Other's called him a sleeper pick. I respect their opinion as well.

I don't really give a damn what all the media thinks about our pick though. I like the pick. Was he a reach? Depends on who you ask. But he's a Texan now so that's all that really matters.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #203
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

This comment bothers me on his scouting report...

Quote:
Is not the type that will put in the extra hours in the weight and film rooms and needs to develop a better work ethic
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/duane-brown?id=808
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #204
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?
Dude. It was like a joke.

But seriously, some guy thought he was a 4th round talent. So what. Several of the guys that went today were considered 3rd/4th round talen by many of the experts.

This is the guy that Kubiak and Gibbs wanted. What if we had waited to the third and he was gone? We don't know where he was placed on other teams' boards.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #205
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

What I hate is the fact he gave up 8.5 sacks last season.
Old 04-26-2008   #206
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
:elle:

We got a 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th for trading back :P.

We got the same value that everyone else got. Complaining about what we got for trading back is just whining...we could not have gotten more.
Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #207
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post

With Gibbs on his ass (which he will be), he'll learn more than he cares to know about "work ethic".
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2008   #208
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But from that same report:

Quote:
Compares To: JASON PETERS-Buffalo...Some might be scared off by the negatives in Brown's scouting report. But Brown has the same qualities as an athlete that Peters showed coming out of college. Both are former tight ends with minimal playing time at offensive tackle. The only thing that worries scouts about Brown is his learning ability, which could be an issue at the pro level. A coach that will both light his fire but bring him along slowly while revamping his technique might find gold with Brown. Buffalo more than got by taking that approach with Peters.
Sounds like he was made for Alex Gibbs.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #209
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.
yup, that's how the draft works.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #210
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2251

they really love the guy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #211
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #212
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Statistically speaking, OLmen are usually the safest pick in the first round. I'll remain hopeful regarding the pick.
Old 04-26-2008   #213
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
They have to say those things......
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #214
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell, we could have had Chris Johnson, who is pretty damn good. Would have loved Mendenhall or Jenkins at 18.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #215
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.
Exactly.

Everyone talked and trashed Mario his first year. Now we see he has been getting better. It is rare that guys just jump in the league and blow it up like Joe Thomas, Peterson, DeMeco, P-Willis.

Can't expect it out of everyone, I think the kid will do just fine. We need a LT to hold down that spot, I am happy we got one.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #216
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...30970&i=244107
Old 04-26-2008   #217
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

If your team is making the playoffs, winning divisions, or winning championships, no.

If your best season is 8-8 and you have finished last 5 out of 6 seasons, then yes, our 1st round pick should be able to make an instant impact.

******disclaimer******** QB's excluded from that statement.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #218
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

yayyy.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #219
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They have to say those things......

lol.. you make it sound like somebody made the pick for them and they were just sent out to defend it

lets look at the evidence:
-they speak about him more glowingly than either mario or amobi imo
-they 'reach' to take him in the late 1st rd
-they're so worried about not getting him they wont even move down 2 spots in case somebody takes him

you right, they dont really like him that much
Old 04-26-2008   #220
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

this reminds me of the bengals and levi jones a few yrs back... hopefully it works out the same

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read