Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2004   #21
profan
Veteran

I will watch carrs throwing motion this sunday. Why was this not addressed when we were winning and he was putting up good numbers? If carr put's up manning like numbers will the issue of his throwing motion come up? I don't think so.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #22
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
I will watch carrs throwing motion this sunday. Why was this not addressed when we were winning and he was putting up good numbers? If carr put's up manning like numbers will the issue of his throwing motion come up? I don't think so.

That's just it...he's not putting up Manning's numbers. I have not paid any attention to his throwing motion. But when a former pro QB of some local esteem says something is wrong it kind of makes me wonder. I'll check it out Sunday and see too. I don't really care how he throws but Dan the Man says sidewinders don't work out too well in the NFL as a general rule of thumb particularly now since the D lineman are so tall and big. We'll see.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard to put air under a deep ball when you chunk it sidearm. The better deep ball throwers give the ball good arc and let the WR run under it. Carr's linear deep passes have little margin for error.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that he was dropping his motion and now it seems his arm strength is lower. The first 4-5 games he was coming over the top and he was on target and throwing a nice arcing deep ball. His QB rating was over 100 and his completions were above 70%. Doing very well and rated at ~#4 in the league. Now for the last 4-5 games he is throwing side arm, passes are floating high and the deep ball isn't very deep and velocity seems WAY down. His QB rating has come down into the low 80s and completions have been just barely above 50% in the last 4-5 games. I postulated at that time he might have re-injured the shoulder. The Texans have a history of being less than forth coming about player injuries. Naturally the o-line and running game haven't been stellar during that time either so hard to say what is actually going on.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It's hard to put air under a deep ball when you chunk it sidearm. The better deep ball throwers give the ball good arc and let the WR run under it. Carr's linear deep passes have little margin for error.
Not sure what you're looking at. Carr throws a deep ball with a lot of arc. He throws more long 'line drives' now that he's not doing any seven step drops and he's almost always on the run when he's throwing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pastorini mentioned that side arm throwers have a hard time getting air under the ball and I was in agreement. Carr gets the ball down the field as well as anyone but I don't think he throws a great deep ball. That's pretty much what I am looking at.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #27
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Third Eye...I do remember the run in that Dan had with Robertson. I thought that it was great! He deserved exactly what he got!
You know it was kind of funny then. Either you liked Pastorini,or you didn't. He never had fair weather fans. I for one was a dye in the wool Pastorini fan.
I didn't care for his trouble that he got into after the nfl. The drag boat accident. But, the man could throw a football. I remember going to a game with the 49ers. Dan threw a ball that looked like it went 70 yards. If I remember right, the Oilers won that one.
Old 12-11-2004   #28
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Try Fresno State playing a team from Santa Clara with an Unkown young QB by the name of .......... Can you guess? That's how far I go back........ Of course in High School I watched Fresno State play Montana State and the head coach was Jim Sweeny. He had just found a young socker player and decided to turn him into a field goal kicker. The guys name was Jaun Stenarrud. Its funny how small school players turn into something. I remember Jaun, because we held them at our 30 and he was blasting 50 yarders through the uprights. The FSU coaches were pulling their hair out.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #29
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

What I see is David throwing sidearm when trying to get the ball to his running backs and tight ends. Sometimes he is working too fast. If you look at the tapes from last game he appears to be throwing side arm whem he thew it to Johnson behind the line of scrimmage. Had he made a good throw, we would have had a good play.

It normally takes four to five years in the league for a QB to reach his potential and I feel David is well on his way.
Old 12-11-2004   #30
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat
Dan threw a ball that looked like it went 70 yards. If I remember right, the Oilers won that one.
Dante said on the radio a few weeks ago, that he was in some QB throwing competition years ago, and won it throwing the football 86 yards.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #31
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

My favorite Dante moment was in Buffalo, 2 defenders was bringing Dan down and some how he throws the ball 50+ to Ken Burroughs for a TD! I do not recall if the Oilers won but I will remember that play always!
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #32
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I always thought Pastorini was a fun player to watch and he was very tough too. He played thru a lot of injuries.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #33
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing as how Dan metioned something wrong with David, Here is a report that was on Sportingnews.com:

QB David Carr, Texans. Carr should go into the shop. He was a wreck against the Jets last week with 157 yards passing, a pair of picks and a fumble. He has neck soreness going into this game, and we hate his matchup against the Colts. Indy is getting a lot of interceptions, and its pass rush is blindingly quick. Carr will have plenty of chances to rack up points because the Colts will go off (again), but he isn't playing well and is likely to make too many mistakes.

First time I have seen anything indicating a neck sorness issue. Anyone seen it elswhere?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #34
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

I've takin notice that carr has gone to the 3/4 to sidearm through instead off the normal over the head throw. The first game I noticed it was against GB. I can't recall if he came off a rough game the week before and was sore or injuried. However in Carr's defense he has thrown sidearm for the most of his career as QB. If there's a QB that can become a great QB that throws sidearm its gonna be Carr.
Old 12-11-2004   #35
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First time I have seen anything indicating a neck sorness issue. Anyone seen it elswhere?
Carr hurt his neck/upper back when he took a shot to the side of the head in the Jets game. It was the play where he almost got sacked but completed the pass to AJ. He was down for several minutes but walked off the field -- Banks came in for one play. Carr said on Monday morning that he was pretty sore but not bad enough to sit out. His hair was not affected.
Old 12-11-2004   #36
wiley2002
Veteran

If Carr sticks to sidearm passes, all I can do is hope they work. Int's will be an issue but we'll see what he can do with his golden arm.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004   #37
aj.
Hall of Fame

He could throw it underhand like the little hottie in Dodge Ball and I wouldn't care as long as the results were there. Carr is 8th in the NFL in yards per attempt, 9th in passing yards, and 13th in completion percentage. He obviously needs to continue to improve in several areas but what QB doesn't? It could be a helluva lot worse. You'll never catch me wearing #8 but he has shown improvement every year and that's what it's all about.
Old 12-12-2004   #38
big sarge
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 big sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbig sarge is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think the heat is getting to him and him being the focal point of the Texans. As far as the O line goes, they do need some work, but davis needs to regain his confidence and not hesitate so much. When davis is running Carr is hot .
big sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #39
block4carrmore
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I was listening to Dan P. yesterday on 610 and he had some interesting comments about David Carr. He says David has regressed and he is side-arming the ball this year. He said that would never work in the NFL because of the huge height of the D lineman, that you have to arch the ball to the receivers.

He didn't seem impressed with the O line work this year and the most telling comment he made to me was about coaches. He said he had so many coaches during his NFL days that it would not surprise him if the Texans made some changes in their coaching staff.

Any opinions?
Dan Pastorini couldn't hit the side of a barn.
block4carrmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #40
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

As long as he gets the time to get the ball to the reciever, he can throw underhand between his legs for all that matters to me.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read