Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2004   #1
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pastorini's take on Carr

I was listening to Dan P. yesterday on 610 and he had some interesting comments about David Carr. He says David has regressed and he is side-arming the ball this year. He said that would never work in the NFL because of the huge height of the D lineman, that you have to arch the ball to the receivers.

He didn't seem impressed with the O line work this year and the most telling comment he made to me was about coaches. He said he had so many coaches during his NFL days that it would not surprise him if the Texans made some changes in their coaching staff.

Any opinions?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #2
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Carr's throwing motion does look different this year. He's always had a terrible motion but this year it looks different. I have noticed on some of his throws this year it actually looks like he is pushing the ball to his receiver. How about that underthrow to Johnson last week? That was middle school caliber.
Old 12-09-2004   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I've noticed David's sidearm delivery as well. Time to break out the ladder again.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Or is his shoulder injured and nothing is being said?
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Sounds like some knowledgeable people are also beginning to talk about the coaching staff, and in particular, the O-line change. I've stated many times the blocking scheme change, which I to bought into, is a major reason for the offensive problems we are seeing this year. I would also add where is Brown, Washington, and others in this revamp year. I think we're not playing Washington because the coaches feel he doesn't fit into the new scheme. That's probably true, but neither does McKinney..........
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Or is his shoulder injured and nothing is being said?

Dan questioned the injury too and wondered if perhaps it has had an effect on David's delivery this year. I will make a mental note to watch David throwing this week because to be honest I had not noticed the sidearm motion much myself. I do know sometimes he underthrows the receivers while it seemed last year he was hitting them in stride.

I think perhaps he is feeling the heat a bit more right now in this string of bad games and is just pressing too hard.
Old 12-09-2004   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Accuracy is the number 1 issue with sidearm throwers. Kosar was a sidearmed thrower and he did fine though.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2004   #8
DreamCatcher
Rookie

Could be an injury or just the pressure getting to him but the arm motion doesn,t look the best.Then again his protection from the O has not been the best.
Old 12-09-2004   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 368131 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think we're not playing Washington because the coaches feel he doesn't fit into the new scheme.
The coaches aren't playing Washington this year because he looked like a turnstyle last year in pass protection. Having said that, IMO he looked better when he subbed in at center last year and I wouldn't mind seeing that experiment again although I assume that he practices there and the coaches don't see it as an improvement over McKinney.

Funny that the sidearm thing is a problem for some folks--plenty of people were high on Rivers and his sidearm is much more exagerated.
Old 12-09-2004   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

It's not a problem for me Infantry; I hadn't even noticed David had a sidearm throwing motion so so much for my power of observation.

I DID find it interesting that Pastorini thought it was a regressive year for David and he said he has regressed "back to" the sidearm motion. He even made a comment that somebody needed to pull out a tape from last year of David and one from this year and see if he wasn't right.

I guess in NFL circles it's not something coaches want a QB to do.
Old 12-09-2004   #11
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Well our QB coach is in his first year as QB coach, ever. On the other end of the spectrum you have Indy's QB coach. He has been there three years and before that he was QB coach for the Bucs in 2001. He also was a QB and receiver coach in college, working with the likes of Kerry Collins.
Old 12-09-2004   #12
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Dan the Man say anything about Weed 2 being filmed?
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

No! But he did say he was playing golf with Nickelback!
Old 12-09-2004   #14
MarleyFan
Veteran

Default Dan Pastorini?

Does Dan Pastorini have his own radio show in H-town, or was he just being interviewed?
MarleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #15
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyFan
Does Dan Pastorini have his own radio show in H-town, or was he just being interviewed?

He will be doing a radio show with Marc Vandemeer and Rich Lord on Wednesdays on 610 AM. I say Wednesday because that is the day I heard him on..I don't know that they do it on Wednesday every week but Dan is a cool guy; he's very honest and I found the interview/questioning very informative.

I also think he does a TV show with Marc Vandemeer on Channel 13..ABC. I am not sure of the day. Perhaps somebody else knows that but I believe it's done with an audience at the Aquarium downtown so that might be something Texan fans might like to attend.
Old 12-09-2004   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Pastorini has been doing a weekly radio hour with Vandermeer since the start of the season. It was on Weds. mornings but it has moved to the afternoons with the programming changes on 610.

The Quarterbacks TV show is filmed on Weds. nights at 7 pm at the downtown Aquarium. Some of our board members regularly attend. It is broadcast late Friday nights ~ 11:00 pm.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Sorry I thought the QB show was on Channel 13!
Old 12-10-2004   #18
fresno8
Veteran

He was throwing well earlier in the year. He's a tough guy, he has to be hurt and it's affecting his motion. I'm a huge Carr fan and have watched him since his first start at Fresno State. The arm strength isn't there right now. Gotta be hurt, because he has a rocket even when he's throwing side armed and it's just not there right now, his ball is floating and sailing. Earlier in the year he'd put the ball where ever he wanted.
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #19
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeBC32
He does The Quarterbacks on Channel 11 with Gifford Neilson. Vandemeer has a small part on the prgram. Dan is cool, as I was growing up he was my favorite QB. Anyone remember the run in with Dale Robertson of the then Houston Post?

I do. Pastorini was one of my favorite qbs also. Blue collar and tough.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004   #20
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Carr is fine...

Carr will be just fine!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read