Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2008   #1
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Comparison - Okoya to Dorsey/Ellis

I am interested in the feelings of the literati on this board. I have heard so much about Dorsey and Ellis, but I would be curious to know how you guys feel about the comparison. They are all about 6'1" - 300 lbs and play the same position, I think. I have heard it said that Dorsey is the best prospect in 20 years by one of the talking heads. Try to be as objective as possible, please. Thanks for your input.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Comparison - Okoya to Dorsey/Ellis

Amobi Okoye has such a high ceiling, it'll be tough to say how good he'll be until about year #3. Dorsey is a freak of nature and will be very, very good in this league for a long time. Ellis has the potential to be great when he doesn't take plays off and/or disappears for long stretches. Okoye hit a "rookie wall" last season but is looking to improve in season #2. Of the three, I'd say Dorsey will be the better DT when it's all said and done.
Old 04-26-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would put Okoye about even with Ellis.

But injury concerns aside, Dorsey is head & shoulders above them.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #4
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious but due to his age do you think Amobi will make as mush of a jump in his second season as most players who are 21-22?

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Just curious but due to his age do you think Amobi will make as mush of a jump in his second season as most players who are 21-22?
I think it's more just being in the NFL for a year will get you to make the jump.
Old 04-26-2008   #6
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

IMO, Okoye and Ellis are a tad better at rushing the passer, but overall Dorsey is the more complete player at this point.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Amobi Okoye........he reminds me of a young Warren Sapp, a guy that's going to give you double digit sacks from the DT position (the guy was only 20 years old and is not even done growing into his frame.)

Dorsey is good, but he already has injury concerns. Amobi could've easily had about 3 or 4 more sacks last year (as a 20 year old rookie....people forget that, this guy should be just beginning his junior year in COLLEGE).......he was right there. Mario didn't just jump to 14 sacks for nothing........Amobi was a giant reason, infact in that Denver game where Mario exploded, I watched tape and pinpointed 2 sacks that Amobi gift wrapped for Mario. Like I said, young Warren Sapp......the defensive Nigerian nightmare.

I mean don't get me wrong, Dorsey is probably going to be the better all around player (becuase he'll be a better run stopper), but Amobi's supreme pass rushing ability will make him a greater game changer.......we just need to find a space eater to pair up next to him.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 04-27-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read