Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Texans to pick in the first round?
Chris Williams 23 56.10%
Jeff Otah 1 2.44%
Jonathan Stewart 4 9.76%
Rashard Mendenhall 8 19.51%
Mike Jenkins 1 2.44%
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2008   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who do you want

Narrowed to two from each position of most likely picks. Who do you want? I voted for Cromartie.

Last edited by stingray; 04-26-2008 at 10:41 AM.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #2
El cabezon
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 El cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVP
Default Re: Who do you want

Jerod Mayo.
El cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly honestly honestly don't care who the Texans draft. They're going to be a Houston Texan and that's all that matters to me. Sure, there are some intriquing prospects but what the heck does it matter to me? I'm just a fan. I have no say in the matter. All I can do is give 'em my support.

Old 04-26-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Jonathan Stewart.

Yes, I know, we traded for Chris Brown in the off season, and that we have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Your Mom, and host of other RB's but I just like this kid. He's got the size, speed, and the ability to break tackles.

I thought about injury concerns, then I remembered he ran his 4.48 40 time with a messed up toe that he had surgery on afterwards. I also think he'll be healed up enough to do training camp, preseason, and then be able to suit up for the first regular game.

EDIT: raytex, I noticed you put Jeff Otah, do you think that Branden Albert might be a better person because he could also be there when we pick, and he is smaller and more agile. Just a thought. I don't think anybody here will forsee Jeff Otah coming to Houston to be a lineman in a zone blocking scheme.
Old 04-26-2008   #5
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Gimme Chris Williams.

Im tired of LT being an issue year after year.
Old 04-26-2008   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Narrowed to two from each position of most likely picks. Who do you want? I voted for Cromartie.
That would be nice but for the second best corner to fall to 18? Man i'd love that.
Old 04-26-2008   #7
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
I want Mayo, but since you didn't have him on the list, I'll take DRC.
Old 04-26-2008   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

While I know the "conventional wisdom" says we need a LT or CB; but I picked Mendenhall. If he's actually still around at the 18th pick that tells me that most likely all the top 4-5 OTs are gone so to pick the 5th/6th best tackle in that situation is "a reach". Also, most likely the 2-3 best CBs will be gone too. So in this scenario, Mendenhall is most likely the highest ranked player on the board. So I would pick him.

If Gibbs can work his magic with the OT we will most likely grab in the 3rd round, then Mendenhall -added to AJ and AD- makes our offense instantly fearsome.

Just think of those 10-15-20-yd <ahem> "breakaways" Ron Dayne had last year... now suppose that had been Mendenhall...

I know it wishful thinking because Mendenhall won't be there at 18. But if he is, no way do I pass him up.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 04-26-2008 at 11:01 AM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #9
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Williams. We need to fix the O-line, and start establishing a running game, from the front back. Stewart/Mendenhall would be a nice player to have, but would just wouldn't produce like they would without help on the line first (not to mention the help to Schaub it would give).

On a slightly different note...the NFL Draft is being shown on Sky Sports for any Brits. Good news kind of day!
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I voted Jonathan Stewart.

Yes, I know, we traded for Chris Brown in the off season, and that we have Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Your Mom, and host of other RB's but I just like this kid. He's got the size, speed, and the ability to break tackles.

I thought about injury concerns, then I remembered he ran his 4.48 40 time with a messed up toe that he had surgery on afterwards. I also think he'll be healed up enough to do training camp, preseason, and then be able to suit up for the first regular game.

EDIT: raytex, I noticed you put Jeff Otah, do you think that Branden Albert might be a better person because he could also be there when we pick, and he is smaller and more agile. Just a thought. I don't think anybody here will forsee Jeff Otah coming to Houston to be a lineman in a zone blocking scheme.
I picked Mendenhall for the same basic reason you picked Stewart. If Mendenhall is gone (very likely) and Stewart is available then he's a great pick too.
Old 04-26-2008   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
While I know the "conventional wisdom" says we need a LT or CB; but I picked Mendenhall. If he's actually still around at the 18th pick that tells me that most likely all the top 4-5 OTs are gone so to pick the 5th/6th best tackle in that situation is "a reach". Also, most likely the 2-3 best CBs will be gone too. So in this scenario, Mendenhall is most likely the highest ranked player on the board. So I would pick him.

If Gibbs can work his magic with the OT we will most likely grab in the 3rd round, then Mendenhall -added to AJ and AD- makes our offense instantly fearsome.

Just think of those 10-15-20-yd <ahem> "breakaways" Ron Dayne had last year... now suppose that had been Mendenhall...

I know it wishful thinking because Mendenhall won't be there at 18. But if he is, no way do I pass him up.
I pretty much agree with you on everything except which RB we take. But yes, I think this draft will play out like a nightmare with lots of OT's and CB's being off the board by the time we pick.

EDIT: high five! we think alike on this subject!

Last edited by b0ng; 04-26-2008 at 11:18 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #12
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

If Mendenhall is there when we pick(and i doubt he will be), and we pass on him, i'm gonna be flamed up.
Old 04-26-2008   #13
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Due to the way the question was asked "Who do you want" I WANT Mendenhall, but the bigger question in my mind is who do the Texans NEED the most?

That said Williams is my choice, its not sexy, its not real exicting but it will help keep Schaub upright and Schuab with time to throw deep to AJ and AD is exciting! Plus with Gibbs in control of the O'Line the running game will improve drastically and mabe the Texans can pick upi a Rice or someone later in the draft for some excitement. That said however Kubiak loves Taylor and seems to believe he can provide the exictement in the running game. After the last two years of watching Smith and Kubes evaluate talent who am I to doubt them!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
If Mendenhall is there when we pick(and i doubt he will be), and we pass on him, i'm gonna be flamed up.
No doubt.

ESPN is reporting that St. Louis will pick Chris Long with the #2 pick. Its looking like OL and DL are the "sexy" pick this year.

Commme onnnnn 2 o'clock
Old 04-26-2008   #15
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No doubt.

ESPN is reporting that St. Louis will pick Chris Long with the #2 pick. Its looking like OL and DL are the "sexy" pick this year.

Commme onnnnn 2 o'clock
Those are the sexy picks every year!! The ole saying "Games are won and lost in the trenches" was not just created by some lineman its the damn truth!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Those are the sexy picks every year!! The ole saying "Games are won and lost in the trenches" was not just created by some lineman its the damn truth!
No argument from me on that truism. Its just that teams don't always make moves with their brains. For example, with the number of sacks Oakland gave up last year, I would have been all over offensive linemen. What did they do, pick a suspect (IHMO) QB who did absolutely NOTHING for them last year.

I'm afraid that by the time we pick, the top 4-5 OL will be gone. I'd rather take a OL in a later round than pay first round money for a 2nd/3rd round talent just to say we picked a 1st round OT.

I guess another way to put it is to ask: If we're stuck with the 5th/6th best OL because the other guys are off the board, is that guy really "two rounds better" than someone we could get in the 3rd round. And is that guy worth passing on a stud RB or OLB just to say we picked a 1st round lineman?

Not in my mind.
Old 04-26-2008   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure of the positions of a couple of those guys, but I do know Chris Williams is a LT, so I voted for him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

went BPA with Otah.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Write In Vote for Keith Rivers
if he isn't around at #18 then Jared Mayo
Old 04-26-2008   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Write In Vote for Keith Rivers
if he isn't around at #18 then Jared Mayo
If you haven't noticed LZ's latest Mock you will be happy.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read