Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-25-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Maybe we don't draft oline

I've changed my priorities for this draft. I think our needs in order are:

1. pass rushing DE
2. CB
3. RB
4. Tackle
5. LB

With Spencer's return and Gibbs coming in, I can list 10 players under 30 currently on our roster who could all be above average linemen. Furthermore, a number of them could potentially play LT.

Winston*
Spencer*
Pitts*
Frye*
Butler*
Myers
Eslinger
GWhite
Studdard
Briesel

Also, while we certainly could use help at CB- particularly until DRob comes back, a pass rush would certainly help our DBfield. The combination of Bennett, Reeves, and DRob may end up being a pretty good combination of Corners.

However, on our Dline, we have nobody that can even potentially fill the speed rushing role at DE... Kalu is the closest thing we have to that- or C. Thompson, the LB from Cleveland.

So, here's hoping we can get our hands on DHarvey or maybe Groves in a trade down.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Maybe we don't draft oline

I agree with you kinda...

BUT...

If there is a LT of value on the board when we pick and we take him, I will not be upset at all...
Old 04-25-2008   #3
HPF Bob
GM Emeritus

Rep Power: 0 HPF Bob is on the Pro-Bowl ballotHPF Bob is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

You mean, spend our FIFTH consecutive first-round pick on a defensive lineman while continuing to ignore the line that keeps killing our offense?

Oh, yeah. I'm down with that...
HPF Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #4
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Charles Spencer is an enormous question mark (figuratively and literally). We need a LT.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #5
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
You mean, spend our FIFTH consecutive first-round pick on a defensive lineman while continuing to ignore the line that keeps killing our offense?

Our passing offense was good last year, the run game suffers from not having a good back so if you want to fix the offense draft a RB in the first.

For my money we draft defense in the first. I am feeling Rivers, Mayo, Harvey, Merling, McKelvin, Jenkins....
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #6
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Our passing offense was good last year, the run game suffers from not having a good back so if you want to fix the offense draft a RB in the first.

For my money we draft defense in the first. I am feeling Rivers, Mayo, Harvey, Merling, McKelvin, Jenkins....
LOL! tell that to Schaub.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted O-line last year as a high pick of ours, and I want it again this year, but if the best player up there is either a LB or DE, then I would be happy with them too.

After reading what I typed, I just have to think I'm a pretty easygoing guy overall as far as Texans football goes.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't stand seeing Salaam getting beat on the edge, again, in every game for another year; so please Rick, get us an LT. A talented one. That means 1st round.
Old 04-25-2008   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
With Spencer's return and Gibbs coming in, I can list 10 players under 30 currently on our roster who could all be above average linemen. Furthermore, a number of them could [b]potentially[b] play LT.

Winston*
Spencer*
Pitts*
Frye*
Butler*
Myers
Eslinger
GWhite
Studdard
Briesel
by 'above average' do you mean 'unproven backup'... bar winston, pitts, possibly myers theres alot of ??? with each of those listed

if a premier LT (williams, albert) is there, we should take em... im warming up to groves as a possibility @ #18 if they aren't however
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #10
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
im warming up to groves as a possibility @ #18 if they aren't however
oh, me too. I think he's a little small for DE, but would be a great blitzing linebacker.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post

The Texans were the sixth best team when it came to allowing sacks. The Oline actually played well last year.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
The Texans were the sixth best team when it came to allowing sacks. The Oline actually played well last year.
Thanks raytex... Spot on.

Is Salaam the long term answer? No... But that line only gave up 22 sacks last year. This year's draft??? Defense, defense, defense. Oh yeah, did I mention defense??
Old 04-25-2008   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Stats doesn't show everything, that's why you watch the game. If you had then you'll know after the first two game, Schaub was running for his life the rest of the season. Salaam isn't the long-term answer, yes, and thats why we need to find the solution now. We can't wait anymore. Waiting is going to destory Schaub and the two 2nd rounder and 48 mil we invested in him.
Old 04-25-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Thank you Matt Schaub.

The thing that worries me about the OL is not the sacks they gave up (or lack thereof) but the number of times Schaub got hurried and/or hit. Schaub did an excellent job of getting rid of the ball like a QB is supposed to.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I can't stand seeing Salaam getting beat on the edge, again, in every game for another year; so please Rick, get us an LT. A talented one. That means 1st round.
I agree .if it is a third I am ok with it too. just get us some talent!
we will face Freeny ,Kearse/vandenbosch, and possibilty of jason taylor twice
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stats doesn't show everything, that's why you watch the game. If you had then you'll know after the first two game, Schaub was running for his life the rest of the season. Salaam isn't the long-term answer, yes, and thats why we need to find the solution now. We can't wait anymore. Waiting is going to destory Schaub and the two 2nd rounder and 48 mil we invested in him.
Listen.... I watch every game, so you can check that condescending crap atthe door.

The two QB's (Matt and Sage) combined for nearly 4,000 yards. No problems there. The running game struggled due to Green - forcing Dayne to start more than he should...

The defense could hardly stop anyone. They couldn't get off the field. Remember the home game against the Titans last year. Quite a comeback, no? Too bad the defense couldn't make a stop with under two minutes left in the game.... Oh wait, that was on the O-line...
Old 04-25-2008   #17
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Listen.... I watch every game, so you can check that condescending crap atthe door.

The two QB's (Matt and Sage) combined for nearly 4,000 yards. No problems there. The running game struggled due to Green - forcing Dayne to start more than he should...

The defense could hardly stop anyone. They couldn't get off the field. Remember the home game against the Titans last year. Quite a comeback, no? Too bad the defense couldn't make a stop with under two minutes left in the game.... Oh wait, that was on the O-line...
Uhh the problem was our starting QB was getting hurt. Gee who fault was that again?

Oh and the TEN game...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...ype=REG&week=7

look at T.O.P homie. Offense needs to control the tempo of game more and stop RELYING on defense to make stops for them. You probably going to blame the run game for that huh? Well we need a better o-line, specifically LT, not only to protect our QB and give him time in the pocket to read the field and make accurate throws; but to also open up the run game, which is key to controlling a game. and no we don't need a 1st round RB.

EDIT: and btw, most of our T.O.P in that game came in 4th quarter, aka garbage time, when we were getting blown out and TEN were chilling through the rest of the game, til the comeback of course.
Old 04-25-2008   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going with SWT approach on this one..BPA on first round..why settle for maybe the 3rd or 4th best LT if there is the #1 rated LB or CB or whatever is there .. and you can't trade back... If you can trade back and gain some picks and still get their guy. it is a crapshoot though
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #19
texanfreak
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 texanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Thank you Matt Schaub.

The thing that worries me about the OL is not the sacks they gave up (or lack thereof) but the number of times Schaub got hurried and/or hit. Schaub did an excellent job of getting rid of the ball like a QB is supposed to.
LOL yeah Matt is the reason there were fewer sacks!!
texanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Uhh the problem was our starting QB was getting hurt. Gee who fault was that again?
Jury is still out on Schaub. He could be the next coming of Chris Chandelier. Sage's injury came on a special teams play.

Quote:
Oh and the TEN game...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...ype=REG&week=7

look at T.O.P homie. Offense needs to control the tempo of game more and stop RELYING on defense to make stops for them. You probably going to blame the run game for that huh? Well we need a better o-line, specifically LT, not only to protect our QB and give him time in the pocket to read the field and make accurate throws; but to also open up the run game, which is key to controlling a game. and no we don't need a 1st round RB.
It doesn't matter what put us in the position to have to come back. All that matters in the game is that we DID come all the way back and we needed a stop in the worst way. WE couldn't stop them - period. We have no defensive backs that would start on any other team. Fred Bennett may turn out to be a fine corner (and I hope sooner rather than later). If Dunta makes it back next year it won't be until October or November and that's if he makes it back. Even if he does play, we don't even know if he will have the lateral movement to ever play corner again. We have needed safeties since 2002. The only spots that I feel comfortable with on our defense is DeMeco, Mario, Amobi (although he's gonna have to improve considerably) and I think (think mind you) that Travis will be fine. Other than Mario, we had no real pass rush.

Bottom Line:
We ranked 24th in Total Defense (25th in passing and 25th in rushing)
We ranked 14th in Total Offense (11th in passing and 22nd in rushing)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read